Beginners and Beyond

The 2015 Surf City Half Marathon Race Report (Read 49 times)

You Rang?

The 2015 Surf City Half Marathon Race Report

On Sunday February 1, 2015 I ran the Surf City Half Marathon.  This is my hometown race. The only difference between this race and a normal training run is the water stops and the fact that I’m running in the streets and not on the sidewalk. I live about two blocks from the starting line and expo. Close enough to walk over and meet up with Docket and Dr. Docket.

Docket, Doc and I chatted a bit while they picked up their bibs and left some money in the expo. While there I met the race director for the Santa Rosa Marathon. It’s a small town marathon in Northern California in August. The race date fits in my calendar. I might have to talk my wife into a trip to wine country in August. That shouldn’t be too hard.

Photo by Kevin Mullen

Some of you may recall from my PR setting Star Wars Half Marathon Race Report that I thought I’d try to go sub 2 here. I’ll save you the trip to the bottom of the race report. I didn’t go sub 2 here. I didn’t PR, and I didn’t even try.

A Snail’s Pace Running Shop is my local running store. This is a goal race for ASP Academy members and Club members get points for running Surf City in uniform. Over the summer, I trained in their Academy for the Marine Corps Marathon. I have since moved over to the Running Club. I found the Academy is designed for the beginner. I’m not really a beginner, but as I will explain below, I have a whole lot to learn.

Photo Courtesy of Joy Weber Brunty

The race organizers lets runners put whatever you want on your bib!  Photo by Joy Weber Brunty

The day after shattering my half marathon PR at the Star Wars Half Marathon, my legs and ankle were really sore. Although the soreness in the legs went away after a day or two, the pain in the ankle persisted. I iced my ankle, elevated it, and rested. I also got it evaluated for a possible stress fracture. The x-rays were negative for a stress fracture and the doctor said take it easy after the pain goes away. A few days before the race, the pain subsided. On my physician’s advice, I took it easy at Surf City.

The Surf City Half Marathon travels along Pacific Coast Highway north out of downtown Huntington Beach, takes a dogleg up Seapoint Street, up the hill and onto the mesa, a lap around some very expensive ocean view homes, back down to PCH to the turn around at Warner Ave and then back to downtown Huntington Beach.

Mile 1 – 9:30

Mile 2 – 9:42

Mile 3 – 9:42

Mile 4 – 10:22 (up the hill)

Mile 5 – 9:25 (down the hill)

Mile 6 – 9:35

Mile 7 – 9:47

Mile 8 – 9:55

Mile 9 – 10:06

Mile 10 – 10:18

Mile 11 – 10:33

Mile 12 – 10:04

Mile 13 – 9:43

The last 0.1 – 1:43

Finish Time – 2:10:31 six minutes slower than my PR.

Photo by Laura Green

Photo By Laura Green

Bling Shot by Laura Green

I believed I injured my ankle by lengthening out my stride at the Star Wars Half Marathon. My ankle was not accustomed to stretching as far as it did for as long as it did. I believe that the time has come to incorporate strides, tempo runs, and intervals into the training regime. That way I can begin to adapt my body to the stress of running faster.

My next race is the Zion Half Marathon in Southern Utah in six weeks. This race promises a beautiful course through the canyon leading up to Zion National Park. It has a small field of participants. It’s at 3,800 MSL and uphill. I think I’ll give a stab at running a sub two-hour half marathon there.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great RR, as usual, Lurch. That must be nice to be two blocks from the start. FWIW, I ran Santa Rosa last year and it was great. Get a hotel now! Good luck on the all uphill course in Zion. If you don't have a place yet, I highly recommend Cable Mountain Lodge. We have stayed there many times and it's great. Be sure to go to Oscar's for dinner.

delicate flower

Nice job, Rick!  Six minutes off a PR when you are not trying is pretty darn good.  Hell, I missed my PR by 18 minutes in my February HM last year and that was at max effort.  Good luck at Zion!

<3

Brilliant

Nice race and report!  I hope your ankle improves so you can have a great PR in 6 weeks.

I live about two blocks from the starting line and expo. Close enough to walk over and meet up with Docket and Dr. Docket.

Wait, you live 2 blocks from the starting line?  Why did Mr. & Mrs. Brilliant and Mr. & Mrs. Docket have to pay for hotel rooms? Wink

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Great job!  It was a pleasure seeing you again (after many tries, LOL).  I didn't recognize you when we got there because you have lost so much weight and look amazing!  Keep up the good work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Even though it wasn't a PR, it's a respectable time on an injured ankle.  Zion is a beautiful place to visit.  I'd love to race in that area.  Have fun.

Zelanie

I agree.  6 minutes off your PR for easy effort in a HM is awesome.  Glad you are healing up, and you'll be out there kicking butt again soon!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Pretty sweet living 2 blocks from the starting line. Nice RR.

Nice job, Lurch.  Hope that ankle quits bugging you.

Two blocks!  That must be amazing.  My "local" race is several miles down the hill.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Pffft....

Thats warmup distance.  Smile

Nice job, Lurch.  Hope that ankle quits bugging you.

Two blocks!  That must be amazing.  My "local" race is several miles down the hill.

And good job!

tracilynn

Nice job and happy for you. I need one of those snails pace shirts! Congrats on the weight loss! It is really showing.  Don't join the weightloss thread though cause we wouldn't stand a chance against you.

Good of luck in Zion

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half, Lurch!  Looks like some very pleasant weather there!

What's up with that lady near you at the finish, with her tongue sticking out, lol.   She was getting worn out trying to race you into the finish?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

You Rang?

Thank you all for your kind words.

Jack - Thanks for the advice on Santa Rosa.  I have not registered for the race, and I'm not sure how I'm going to get there (fly v. drive), but I've got a room.  Also, I've got a room at the Cable Mountain Inn in Zion.  It's steps from the finish line.

Brilliant - I'm not sure why you and the Dockets paid for a hotel room.  I have plenty of floor space.  Parking is so bad at Surf City, the hot commodity that I have is a parking space in my garage.  I put my car on the street and now I have two!  It is kinda nice living so close to the beach.

Tracilinn - They sell the Snail shirt at the store.  You have to ask for one.  They are behind the counter.  I won't be joining the weight loss thread.  I don't have that much to lose.  Another 20 lb. and I'll be skinny like 'boon.

Scotty - I'm not sure what's up with that woman.  I think she is channeling her inner dog.  The weather around here is like a fine wine:  highly sought after and heavily taxed.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

LRB

Congrats!  Great job!  It was a pleasure seeing you again (after many tries, LOL).  I didn't recognize you when we got there because you have lost so much weight and look amazing!  Keep up the good work.

My fave is when you two were in the same pic and did not know it at the time. lol

Nice job on the race! You are almost as tall as the light post and palm trees in that last shot.