Beginners and Beyond

It's not April Fool's Day (Read 89 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

WOO HOO!  I'm so happy for you, blue.  I know how much you wanted this and how hard you trained through all your set backs and issues and etc etc. 

Running is dumb.

LRB

I don't mind lap routes either.  I mean, you've got to run 26.2 miles.  What difference does it make if it's one loop or several loops? We've got a local HM which loops through the finish area at mile 8.  People complain about that.  But, you've got to run 13.1 miles. Does it really matter if it loops?

It is probably an individual thing but I do extremely poorly when running on a loop course, and this includes my 6 mile training loop!

Whereas I can do a 12 mile run (6 out 6 back) without so much as a single drop of spit, when I get to the 6 mile point of my loop where I intend to run 12 miles for whatever reason I need to stop at my car for a drink or I WILL DIE!

During events such as a 10k that loops a 5k course twice, it takes the strength of Samson with a full head of hair to not bail on that stupid race at the 3.1 mile mark!

It is the weirdest thing ever but is not something new that I am dealing with, it has always been this way for me.

Yes I know this is mostly all mental, and I also know that mental fortitude is my strong suit, but where looped courses are concerned I am a mental midget.  lol

My preference thus is to run a course that is a point to point first, followed by one big square or oval, then an out and back (which sometimes has its own issues depending on elevation, wind direction etc.).

A course that loops itself in any number other than one would be my least preferred course.

delicate flower

It is probably an individual thing

My way is the right way.  I win.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It is probably an individual thing but I do extremely poorly when running on a loop course, and this includes my 6 mile training loop!

Then I won't suggest Six Days in the Dome running on a track slightly larger than 400m for 144 hours.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

My way is the right way.  I win.

And the entire internet agrees with you.  

LRB

Then I won't suggest Six Days in the Dome running on a track slightly larger than 400m for 144 hours.

My goodness no!

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  I'm so glad you did it, and did it so well.  There's still hope for me, maybe.

bluerun

Super B****

Congratulations!  I'm so glad you did it, and did it so well.  There's still hope for me, maybe.

Yes!  If I was able to do this, there is hope for anyone.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

No more marathons

Wow, a first marathon at the Self-Transcendence.

I looked at that back in 2012 as an option to get a late BQ for 2013 but decided the loop course would be a real mind drain.

Congrats and hope the knee doesn't continue to derail your plans.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

bluerun

Super B****

Wow, a first marathon at the Self-Transcendence.

I looked at that back in 2012 as an option to get a late BQ for 2013 but decided the loop course would be a real mind drain.

Congrats and hope the knee doesn't continue to derail your plans.

It only got REALLY bad in the last couple of loops (when the fastest people were crossing the finish line and I had to keep going)... but then, I don't care about the scenery during races, so loops don't bother me.

chasing the impossible

LRB

How is the knee?  And what is the story behind holding the event on a Monday?  The post-race vegetarian meal concept is interesting.  Was it yummy?

bluerun

Super B****

How is the knee?  And what is the story behind holding the event on a Monday?  The post-race vegetarian meal concept is interesting.  Was it yummy?

PFPS, just like I suspected.  It feels a lot better now but that's not surprising, considering I've done nothing but sit on my rapidly expanding ass since the race!

Don't ask me, this race is always on a weekday for some reason -- I think it was on a Friday last year.  And I wouldn't know about the vegetarian meal...  I never get to take advantage of these things since I keep kosher.

chasing the impossible

LRB

It feels a lot better now but that's not surprising, considering I've done nothing but sit on my rapidly expanding ass since the race!

lol

Awesome!

bluerun

Super B****

chasing the impossible