Beginners and Beyond

Puerto Rico Marathon RR With Tons of Pics (Long) (Read 169 times)

One Half So Far

Nice RR.  Looks like you had fun!

If you have San Francisco next, it'll be freezing.  It always is there. Coldest place I've ever lived, and I was born in Montana. Smile

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Mostly harmless

I can't imagine running 26.2 in heat/humidity like that. I can feel it sucking the life out of me just imagining it!  Good work D!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

outoftheblue

Great job!  I"m glad you had fun despite the crazy heat and humidity.  Great finish line photos.

Average high in SF for June is 67 degrees.  Although there is always a chance o 100% humidity -- Fog.  I'm actually hoping that doesn't happen, as it would be nice to be able see the GG bridge when we run across it.

Life is good.

B-Plus

Great report and pics! Congrats on finishing and having fun while doing so! I can't believe you ran in that garbage. I think it would have taken me at least 6 hours ... if I could even finish.

Docket_Rocket

I am sure this will be done again.  I will keep you posted!

Kewlness. Excellent report there Damaris. Will they host another event next year? I was talking to Marina last night about your race and asked her if she'd like to go next year, visit family, while I ran in it if they do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job Damaris!

- Andrew

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Awesome job Damaris, especially when it's crazy hot and humid to someone from Miami!

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

BenTN

WTG D! I don't know if I've ever seen a 79 dew point. Amazing job running a marathon in that soup!

SheCan

Loved this report; it totally made me laugh out loud.  It's so cool that you got to finally do a race in Puerta Rico.  That heat just sounds miserable;  so glad that you ended up having fun anyway and did not worry about time or breaking records.  Congratulations for even finishing this hot race!  When is San Francisco?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

bobruns

Best thing about that RR is that you never mentioned your breathing once.  Awesome job with that crazy heat!  I don't know how you do it!

Wow. I am sitting at my desk feeling like I need water dumped on my head. I didn't think you could top your Ultra adventure, but this came pretty close. I don't think Maniac is a strong enough word to describe anyone who does this kind of race. I can't imagine a lot of people would run under these conditions - how many finishers were there? (And how many DNF's?)

Dave

Ric-G

Felicidades!  That was some incredible heat and humidity....great job! I will go out on a limb and guarantee that San Francisco will not be as warmSmile

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

Not sure but the winner came in at 2:4X, so they were feeling the heat too.  I'll check the stats when they are out.  I saw at least three that wouldn't be allowed to finish from the looks on them.

Wow. I am sitting at my desk feeling like I need water dumped on my head. I didn't think you could top your Ultra adventure, but this came pretty close. I don't think Maniac is a strong enough word to describe anyone who does this kind of race. I can't imagine a lot of people would run under these conditions - how many finishers were there? (And how many DNF's?)

Thanks, guys.  Yeap, as I was doing this one, I thought of that ultra and said, wow, that was cold compared to this.

I ran in Miami today and felt chilly, LOL.

San Francisco is in 5 weeks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Not sure but the winner came in at 2:4X, so they were feeling the heat too.  I'll check the stats when they are out.  I saw at least three that wouldn't be allowed to finish from the looks on them.

Decided to just go check myself, they are online.

Winner was 2:43, 2nd place was 3:02; female winner was 3:49 (and was in the 45-49 AG).

Total 196 male finishers, 89 female finishers. Looks like 50-60 DNF's (6 hr cutoff?), a pretty high percentage....

Dave

GinnyinPA

Terrific race report Damaris.  I love your attitude.  "If you're not having fun, why do it?"  I'm glad you had fun, despite the conditions, and that your asthma didn't act up.  Good job.