Beginners and Beyond

Le Tour de France (Read 75 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Can anyone tell me what part of France Yorkshire is in?

The best part..

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hip Redux

The best part..

lol

The crowds today were unreal!  And that final climb and chase into the finish... whoa.

My team is currently 48th overall in the NBC fantasy team rankings.  

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

A surprising winner to say the least today. I was surprised to see the gold jersey so far back in the pack. I saw he blew at least one tire today.

- Andrew

happylily

The best part..

Where the French are at their best! 

But why is it still called the Tour de France? And, excuse my ignorance, but how long ago did the event move to other countries and aside from England, is it held anywhere else? Italy maybe? I thought they had different names...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

But why is it still called the Tour de France? And, excuse my ignorance, but how long ago did the event move to other countries and aside from England, is it held anywhere else? Italy maybe? I thought they had different names...

DW and I had the same question so we referenced Wikipedia. It looks like it frequently starts in neighboring countries since the 60s.

- Andrew

catwhoorg

Labrat

Basically starts outside of France every 2-3 years. During the race it often takes in Belgium, Switzerland and Spain.

Love the Half

Wow.  Just finished watching Stage 2 and I have never seen the leaders racing this hard this early.  Dayum.  Froome put a move on Contador though that shows he's in incredible form.  I honestly don't see Contador taking it from Froome unless he has a really bad day.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

I thought that there was no way Sagan wasn't going to pull out the sprint for the win against all the GC guys who showed up at the end.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ya, a little crazy at the end of both stages so far!

Sad that Cav is out but I've seen him do that bulish lean-in before.  Very stubborn looking for room at the sprint, that's for sure.

Hoping to see Talansky and/or Van Garderen put in a good showing for the U.S.

Randy

Love the Half

I'm able to watch a bit of Stage 3 this morning and it's one of those stages that I find a bit of a snore.  Flat as a pancake with only one sprint point in the middle, no King of the Mountain points, and no time bonus at the end.  So, you'll see a breakaway that may or may not succeed followed by a sprint finish.  You could literally skip all but the last 10 minutes of the race and not miss anything interesting.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

catwhoorg

Labrat

The best bit so far was the rollout through Cambridge. Git to see a lit of my old haunts.

I watch the Tour every year but sadly I have to admit now when I watch I wonder who is going to be busted in the next doping scandal. It's amazing what they put their bodies through though.

Hip Redux

There are dopers in every sport.   So it is what it is.   It's either Clemens or Arod or Contador or Marion Jones or.... and they are heavily tested especially compared to some other popular sports.

The stages with nothing going on are a perfect time to nap.   Get a snooze in, wake up in time for the sprint at the end.  And my husband will alert me if anything good happens.  lol

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Hoping to see Talansky and/or Van Garderen put in a good showing for the U.S.

+1

- Andrew

There are dopers in every sport.   

What?!?