Beginners and Beyond

Free race photos! (Read 95 times)

happylily

Since DS and I ran step for step the whole way, he is in about half of my pictures and me in his.  So I asked the marathon photo folks if they'd do a deal - they did, I got both sets for $120 instead of $160 - still a few coins but those are memories I want ( and I want him to have) for many years.

You were right to purchase them and good on you for thinking of negotiating with the company. I agree that the price is steep, sometimes, but they do employ people who are out there working on the course, then they have more work after to sort out the pictures (yes, I know, it's not done manually). It's a business, nothing wrong with them making a profit.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Dave, when you get to Boston I'll take a picture of you in exchange for your shirt :P

What bugs me is when private/club photographers put up a bunch of pics from a race and then have a cranky disclaimer about "these are not for redistribution blah blah blah."  You post it publicly on the internet, it's fair game, IMO.

RSX

Since DS and I ran step for step the whole way, he is in about half of my pictures and me in his.  So I asked the marathon photo folks if they'd do a deal - they did, I got both sets for $120 instead of $160 - still a few coins but those are memories I want ( and I want him to have) for many years.

Good for you guys. Not many folks get to experience a major race like that.

You may find free Boston ones here. These folks are at many races in our area with great quality pictures for free. I never noticed until now that they were at 3 of my other Bostons, so will be looking here more this weekend.

http://jimrhoades.com/14/boston/

Anyone who runs a race in MA it's a lot easier to find yourself in a smaller race

Love the Half

Boston can charge whatever they want for anything.

I would probably trade in a finisher's medal for free photos, if that was an option. And maybe even the shirt, depending on what it looked like. Although I do need my race shirts, since those are the only things I run in.

Yeah, pretty much this.  I was stupid enough to pay $110 for a jacket that is essentially the same jacket that the Marshall University Marathon gives to every runner and the entry fee is $75.  (Unless you are in the military like me and then the entry fee is $20).  Pretty much every first time Boston Marathon runner buys the jacket.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

No more marathons

Good for you guys. Not many folks get to experience a major race like that.

You may find free Boston ones here. These folks are at many races in our area with great quality pictures for free. I never noticed until now that they were at 3 of my other Bostons, so will be looking here more this weekend.

http://jimrhoades.com/14/boston/

Anyone who runs a race in MA it's a lot easier to find yourself in a smaller race

I saw this posted somewhere else and did find one photo in there.  Nice that they do this.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

RSX

Boston official jackets aren't big in these parts. It seems to be a bigger thing for outsiders. Volunteer jackets however are very common to see. I bid twice so far for them on EBay (nwt) to no avail as they are cool this year.

onemile

99% of the time I wouldn't want them even if free.

LRB

My problem is I never see the stupid official photographer so I am always looking at the ground or texting.

happylily

Whenever I see a race photographer, I speed up (as if he cares what pace I'm going at), and, for some reason, I either look at my watch, trying to pretend that I didn't see him, or I raise my head up and end up looking either like a snob, or an idiot. I am unable to smile normally and look at the camera. 

Whenever I see a race photographer, I speed up (as if he cares what pace I'm going at), and, for some reason, I either look at my watch, trying to pretend that I didn't see him, or I raise my head up and end up looking either like a snob, or an idiot. I am unable to smile normally and look at the camera. 

Once in a while I have a problem being "normal".  Wink

RSX

Whenever I notice a camera at the finish I smile, and probably slow a little by accident. In the pictures I like there are usually a bunch of little kids around me.

happylily

Whenever I see a race photographer, I speed up

Now we know why all your pics are floaters.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Apart for the missing leg, you look normal.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RabbitChaser

I'm spoiled here in Kansas City, all of our trail races, including ultras, have free photos and now the Hospital Hill Run will be having free downloadable photos as well.