Beginners and Beyond

Workaholic Wendesday Penguins (Read 21 times)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

G'morning! For another fifteen minutes, anyway!

Ginny - thank you for the explanation yesterday of how you designate your runs, it was really helpful and I'm saving the info for reference. I try to mix up what I do (e.g. rolling hills on the treadmill and long runs on the paved trails) but I think being able to identity what type of workout I'm doing will help when I move into a training plan

I won't be sharing what my weight is, but I will say that while I'm pretty sure I outweigh the male penguins, I'm also wearing a pair of pants in a (smaller) size that I haven't worn in about 20 years. Nonetheless, the line of discussion made it easy to pass by the donuts today!

And can I ask a big ole newbie question? How do I know what my HM pace is? Lots of plans and people refer to it but when I Googled it, the majority of answers have to do with calculating finishing time which seems premature when my long run/walk is around six miles right now.

Best thing to do is run a race, then you can plug your time into the McMillan calculator and it will give you an estimated HM time/pace. Doesn't have to be a HM, you can plug in a 5K time, or even a mile time. Doesn't have to be an official race. I didn't want to enter any shorter races during my HM training so I would just do a time trial on my own. did a 5K , and a few weeks later a 10K.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Dad on the run.

I like Mcmillan calculator a lot and have used it in my training just understand that the numbers it gives is assuming you are trained up for that particular distance. Smile

Ok, I have a problem, if you can call it a problem... This guy at work, a good friend and someone I very much enjoy running with because we have similar paces doesn't understand recovery runs / slow runs or really how certain runs can benefit you. He's pretty much go run and run fast and run far. He hasn't been running very long and his first race was a full marathon at which he hit a very big wall, I don't fault him for running it and think it's cool he finished but he doesn't really want to "train". He's all like I just want to run 10miles 4 days a week and get to where I can run them in an hour, but he really doesn't have a game plan to get there. Anyways, I'm not really asking a question or anything it just bugs me a little and I don't want him to get hurt because he's attempting something he really needs to slowly build up to.. That's a lot of miles in a week!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

If he doesn't ask your advice, don't offer it.  Or you can offer it if you're feeling daring, but ONLY once.  You can't be his trainer if he doesn't want a trainer.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

HM - I know, that's why I've kept my mouth shut, but I've made my fair share of mistakes and they always lead to injury. But then again, we are all fairly competitive with each other and he's probably sour that I beat him in mileage last month.... by .01 MWAHAHA!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well if you'd beaten me by that margin, I wouldn't be speaking to you either!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood-- that's a fast goal, but you do have a chance at it.  Just go for it!

Docket-- Hope you all have fun!  Jog intervals...LOL, nice!

Jimmy--- I'm just tickled with all the gains you've been making in your running lately.   With your running going so well, I'm surprised that the weight hasn't started coming off again.

Mitch-- is the Rumpshaker a 5k coming up this weekend?

Bin-- Yay@ you actually having some time for yourself.  BTW, are you going to write up an RR for your race last weekend?  Or maybe you have it up and I just haven't noticed (that happens A LOT!)

Zelanie-- did you have a good b-day yesterday?  Good idea to move the cookies.  I tell my DH that he needs to use more of those little tricks like that to keep from the mindless snacking.

HsM-- I think a lot of people would be better off not obsessing about their weight.  You have your head in a good place.  Don't work too hard manning it all.

Scotty-- ugh@ your menu for today.  That's so not fun.  Good job on your run yesterday!

Lauren--- LMAO @ your arm descriptions!  I bet you look seriously buff!  Yes I think there's something to that muscle weight-- vs --- untoned weight.

Jack-- 159lbs and 6-3" --- which means you look like a runner!  I have a neighbor built like you who runs.  He's probably 6-7  & his daughter is 6-2 and they're both spooky, spooky fast, like you!

Tracilynn-- hehehe@ you.  You always make me laugh.

I did an easy 2 mile JOG today and a short stationary bike ride.  I've considered trying to get more miles in this week, but decided, my legs just really feel like they need a good break.  As far as weight, other then when I quit smoking or was pregnant, I've probably been within 97-107 every since I was 15 years old.  (Did I mention I was really freaking short?)  I do however feel like my body looks better now than I did 10 years ago, just because of the increase in fitness.

I resent that! I'm only 6'2" and a half!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wish I could. I can't even jog a marathon over the course of a week!   Shins hurt just thinking about it

Get your shins taken care of. One day we will do a marathon together. I don't care if I have to drag or carry you, you will do it. Hear me?!

GinnyinPA

Beautiful 6 mile run today from the house into town where I met DH at the library.  (It's only 3 miles straight line, but I don't want to run the highway.) Two uphill miles to start, then gently downhill for most of the rest. Fun.  Only one icy sidewalk slowed me down.  Cold winds across the bare snowy fields made it feel colder than it should have.  Some of the farmers have put out fertilizer already.  Phew!

Baconista - if you've run any races recently (as you have), you can figure out your probable HM pace using the calculators.  Or just go for an effort that's moderately hard but sustainable.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Hey y'all.

Rest day for me today.

I got in 5.1 miles Tuesday evening.  A very good mental running stabilizer for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.