Beginners and Beyond

saw a ninja this morning (Read 398 times)

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

I found a Nike Vapor Flash jacket at Marshall's for $70. Best investment I ever made! I have not had any close encounters with cars since I started wearing it during my evening runs. The thing practically glows when the light hits it.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

+1 to the Amphipod singlet...then you can get whatever clothes you want.

+1 its on us not to get hit...who cares about traffic laws when you are in the emergency room.

**Ask me about streaking**

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

Basically, I feel like it's just on us not to get hit. I guess I could run on more sidewalks, but they're not plowed and it's not mandated here. So darn it, share the road!

I agree that it is basically on us not to get hit.  I do my best.  I had a car last week who swerved and acted as though they were trying to hit me.  Ran a red light and turned into the wrong lane (oncoming traffic lane but no cars coming) to do so.  I didn't like that much and actually took a different rout home to get onto some really wide and hardly used roads because I didn't feel safe continuing on the same road I always run down.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Funny, I'm always wavering on how I feel about this whole topic.  On one hand, of course I think it's important to be visible to cars.  So I wear either reflective gear or my bright reflective "school crossing guard" vest (as my dd calls it).  And I recently added a flashing arm band + my knuckle lights.

On the other hand, I think I'd rather look like a ninja if there were a rapist or murderer around.  I always run on sidewalks if its dark, with one earbud out so I can hear, and I stay aware with an escape path in mind if I need to jump out of a car's way.  So sometimes I wonder if all the pain I go through to be visible is just advertising myself to potential attackers.

Angela 

My odds of getting hit by a bad driver (texting, drunk driving, eating, etc) while running in the dark, are much higher than getting attacked by some random stranger.

If I'm that worried about a random stranger attack I wouldn't be running alone in the dark.

Docket_Rocket

That's my husband's theory.

Funny, I'm always wavering on how I feel about this whole topic.  On one hand, of course I think it's important to be visible to cars.  So I wear either reflective gear or my bright reflective "school crossing guard" vest (as my dd calls it).  And I recently added a flashing arm band + my knuckle lights.

On the other hand, I think I'd rather look like a ninja if there were a rapist or murderer around.  I always run on sidewalks if its dark, with one earbud out so I can hear, and I stay aware with an escape path in mind if I need to jump out of a car's way.  So sometimes I wonder if all the pain I go through to be visible is just advertising myself to potential attackers.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I like the blinky lights because I can turn them off to go into stealth mode.  The reflective gear doesn't allow for that.  And I'll just have to be honest here - stealth mode is nice if you need to make an unplanned pit stop not too far off the road.

YAYpril - B-Plus

When I run in the dark, it's really around 5:30-6:30 (right after work) when traffic is still pretty heavy. With my knuckle lights and the fact that I wear the brightest, most obscenely reflective gear I own, I feel like drivers give me the right-of-way more often than in broad daylight.

I only run in residential neighborhoods, but I always yield to vehicles and lots of them wave me on. It's nice.

Sharz96

I cross paths a couple times a week with a ninja runner; we always say "good morning" to each other.  All black, with only a tiny reflective piping.  This morning, I didn't even see him until he said "Good morning" as he passed on the other side of the street.  Kinda startled me, actually.

My running jacket is mostly white with teal accent and I use both Knuckle Lights.  At 4AM, ninja guy is the only one I see.  But last winter there was a guy who'd walk his dog in complete dark and utter silence.  Once, I think he realized I didn't see him, because he said something just in time for me to avoid him.  The only time he ever said anything.  It was a little unnerving.