Beginners and Beyond

Spitting While Running... (Read 201 times)

RSX

The branch thing sounds rude. When I used to run with a neighbor I told her that whenever there was an obstacle to go first which worked out fine. We never had an issue, nor have I with anyone else. Running in the burbs, plenty of obstacles come up. The only people who surprise me are the quieter ones who all of a sudden start swearing at cars when we are in groups.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Dave, That is where we are very much alike; "common courtesy"

The difference is what we perceive as vulgar.

Someone spitting every 1/4 mile or obviously having a mucus issue and needing to spit more often is understandable.  Someone spitting all the time the entire run/ race I wonder wtf is wrong.

Someone blowing snotrockets a few times in a race, a bit gross but understandable. Running with snot flying like a gusher, over the top.

Someone passing gas now and then through out the race, I attempt to *not* be behind even if it is dissipated quickly. Just the idea of it... Someone dropping breadcrumbs the entire race or gas bombs warrants a "Damn did you have beans?" type of comment. And I still attempt to not be too near.

Any of those things done with intent to cause an incident?  Asshole.

my peeve in races are the people who dont get out of the way for the elite runners. Usually do to music.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I prefer my women to swallow rather than spit.... just sayin

Better I Leave

The difference is what we perceive as vulgar.

True dat. I know it's "my" pet peeve, and I own it. I would never tell someone not to do something while running, ya know? That being said, as I mentioned in my first post, I have gone "Wrath of God" on someone for spitting on my front porch and leaving it there. I do make that distinction. After I instilled the fear of god into the boy and made him clean it up, I asked him if his parents would object if I were to drive him home and spit in their living room...Oddly enough...he got my point. Smile

Again, like I said...It's my "shit" and I know that. I just wanted to see what others thought as well. I'm sure I'll see it again. Now stepping in gum on a hot day...GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! LOL!

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Spit, snot rocket, fart, belch.  Seen and done it all.  I just do my best to avoid shatting

i spit, snot rocket, and had beans last night with dinner (i think I killed a skunk) so I can be gassy.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Surprised

O face

I prefer my women to swallow rather than spit.... just sayin

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

happylily

I sounded uptight, but I was joking. You can all do whatever you want while running, it really doesn't bother me (except for the humming, that drives me crazy). Someone threw gatorade on my legs, once, and I laughed. Accidents happen. And whatever makes us comfortable is ok with me. And I'm sure I have my own really annoying little habbits when I'm out there. But like scrape said, I don't smoke. so I never feel the need to clear my throat.

Oh and Doug... tttttttt....Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

Spit, snot rocket, fart, belch.  Seen and done it all.  I just do my best to avoid shatting

By the end of a race, I am covered in a mixture of snot, spit, sweat, dried salt, Gatorade and for all I know, I may have dribbled a bit of pee during the race.  My only concern is how quickly I can move from Point "A" to Point "B."  Honestly, when I am racing, I don't even care if someone else's body fluids end up on me.  I'm usually hurting way too much to worry about someone else's spit.

Mind you, it's a different story if I'm just running along with a group on a training run.  I'll go to the back if I need to blow a snot rocket or I'll move to the far left or far right if I need to spit.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RunswithBeer

I spit all the time when I run, I wish I didn't. I don't know why though. It seems to be worse in colder weather. Fortunately, I run by myself so no worries unless I am on a path and I spit to the left by mistake, just hope nobody on foot or bike is passing me.

During a race though, I will not spit in a pack. If I really need to spit then I will move all the way to the right or left.

That said, I would never spit on anyone's property that is just rude. Especially PGD's porch.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I spit too on occasion while running..mainly cuz I have a bit of a nasal problem at times when I run and stuff goes down my throat, yuk..  If I'm doing an event though I always check around me before I spit and try to move to the side of the course and spit off the course..unless someone I don't like is coming up behind me... Wink

That said, I would never spit on anyone's property that is just rude.

+1.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MrNamtor

I'll go to the back if I need to blow a snot rocket or I'll move to the far left or far right if I need to spit.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Spitting is a huge pet peeve of mine. I'm always scared that I will get spat on, or step in spit, during a race. I think I'd throw up. Thankfully I've never seen anyone spitting (during a race) Dead

You don't want to race near me then, lol.  Spitting and snot rockets.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Mostly harmless

and hey, crop dusting can be fun. As long as you don't shit yourself.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi