Beginners and Beyond

Time to recognize the good drivers (Read 151 times)

StepbyStep-SH

I know as runners we love to rant about the drivers out there who are oblivious, rude, or downright dangerous. But I was reminded during my run today that there are some drivers out there who are very considerate. Not just once, but twice, on my run today there were vehicles leaving parking lots and about to cross over sidewalk as I was approaching. One car saw me and stopped well back from the sidewalk and waited with a smile. The other had already pulled up with just the nose of the truck over the edge of sidewalk as he watched for an opening in traffic. There was plenty of room for me to get around, but when he saw me coming, he actually backed up a foot to be completely out of the sidewalk.

I tried to give them both a really big smile and wave to let them know how much I appreciated their thoughtfulness.

How has someone surprised you on a run lately?

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Dr. Cornsitter

I know as runners we love to rant about the drivers out there who are oblivious, rude, or downright dangerous. But I was reminded during my run today that there are some drivers out there who are very considerate. Not just once, but twice, on my run today there were vehicles leaving parking lots and about to cross over sidewalk as I was approaching. One car saw me and stopped well back from the sidewalk and waited with a smile. The other had already pulled up with just the nose of the truck over the edge of sidewalk as he watched for an opening in traffic. There was plenty of room for me to get around, but when he saw me coming, he actually backed up a foot to be completely out of the sidewalk.

I tried to give them both a really big smile and wave to let them know how much I appreciated their thoughtfulness.

How has someone surprised you on a run lately?

I live(d) along a beach this past summer and it became routine for me to run by a particular house where they sit out in their driveway in lawn chairs across from the beach at all hours of the day, playing music and drinking. It is a family that does this, so it's not a frat house sort of situation. It just seems like a nice way for the family to spend time together during the lovely summers up here in New England.

I started taking a new route for awhile and didn't run by this house for several weeks. Also, I was running earlier and earlier in the morning to avoid the heat. Toward the end of the summer, I decided to head down by that beach and they were out there, as usual. They cheered me on and said things like, "Nice to see you again!" and "There she is! We've missed you!"

No, they weren't drivers, but it surprised me that others took an interest in what I was doing and remembered me enough to comment. The encouragement was great, too.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

YAYpril - B-Plus

My neighborhood seems to have more "good" drivers than bad ones when I'm out running. Aside from the one 5-mile run when I was cut off TWICE, I haven't had a lot of negative experiences. I always make eye contact and wave at them when they give me the right-of-way.

I have actually had cars, sitting at a stop sign, see me run toward them and back up to let me run in front of them instead of having to go behind.

Mostly harmless

Thankfully, drivers that are paying attention and make sure they leave me enough room on the side of the road are the vast majority where I run.  I probably don't notice the good ones as often as I should although I try to wave at people that go out of their way to give me a lot of room.  I'm fortunate that I can get most of my runs in without venturing out onto busier roads with higher speed limits.  My limited experiences in those circumstances aren't that pleasant, which is why I avoid them.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

All the good  drivers i've encountered, seems to be runners who have already  completed their run for the day.

Buelligan

Luckily, I only run on about 1 mile of road on one of my riverwalk routes.  I do so by choice because it parallels the riverwalk along a migratory bird sanctuary I like to run by for the view.  The road has very light traffic but I always make sure to give a wave and a smile to the considerate drivers I encounter.  Most of them are very considerate on that stretch of road.

LRB

Most drivers are simply unaware of their surroundings or distracted, but those that actually see me are usually pretty cool.  Every now and then there is a straight up prick in the crowd.

I am always sure to acknowledge drivers who let me pass, and there are many.  But for the most part, drivers in general do not approach an intersection intending to stop, so they are never prepared to stop mentally once they see you, and they just keep right on rollin' through.

I love it when the good ones stop for you 100 yards before you get to them, holding up traffic behind them forcing you to break into a sprint, lol.  God bless 'em!

Good topic.

Philliefan33

I always wave or give a thumbs up to drivers who are considerate to me when I'm running. I also try to set a good example by giving wide berths to runners or cyclists that I encounter when I'm driving.

My neighborhood seems to have more "good" drivers than bad ones when I'm out running. I haven't had a lot of negative experiences. I always make eye contact and wave at them when they give me the right-of-way.

I have actually had cars, sitting at a stop sign, see me run toward them and back up to let me run in front of them instead of having to go behind.

This about describes my situation. I run around my neighborhood on a sidewalk/path, so the only cars are when I cross the subdivision entrances. I always think they are not going to see me, but they usually do.

I once had a car honk at me as he drove by. I looked & did not recognize the car or anyone in it. As it passed by, I saw the "26.2" sticker on the back. So I thought that was pretty cool. This was a couple months ago when I was running in some kind of insane winter weather conditions, so he knew I was not just a casual "jogger".

Dave

Hip Redux

I had a guy in my neighborhood stop blowing dirt and leaves into the street when I passed.  I appreciated that because he was causing a huge cloud of dust in the process.   OK, well, not a driver, but still considerate.

Someone mentioned giving a wave to the cars that full-on change lanes for us, and I've started doing that.

Also, the ones that visibly slow down and give a wide berth in bad weather are nice.  (And the plow drivers out here this winter have all been considerate.  I move to the wrong side of the road so that they can keep plowing, they slow down and don't kill me.  It's been win win.)

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I run the county roads in my area.  Many will move over completely in the other lane as they pass.  Some will slow down when traffic is coming up making passing me a choke point.  Some will even slow down to prevent the choke point that are actually coming up from behind me in the other lane.

They all get a wave of thank you.  Sometimes I have to wave at the inconsiderate ones as well but they only get a 1 finger wave rather than the whole hand wave the good guys get.

I've yet to encounter a mean-spirited driver. Even in Boston, LOL. I always smile, wave, and mouth a thank you.

Now, the people who walk three, four, or more abreast and don't move, even when I say excuse me or call to them that I'm approaching from the left... Don't get me started.

B-Plus

Now, the people who walk three, four, or more abreast and don't move, even when I say excuse me or call to them that I'm approaching from the left... Don't get me started.

OMG! I can't stand that! If I wasn't so skinny, I'd run right through them!

Sorry, carry on.

YAYpril - B-Plus

This. I was running on a sidewalk last summer and two walkers were walking toward me. Neither of them yielded, so I had to go off into the grass. I stepped into a small hole and almost turned my ankle. After I made a surprised "augh!" noise, one of them asked if I was okay. What nerve. I shot back "yep, I'm fine, THANKS" and kept running. Ugh.