Beginners and Beyond

Measuring BP/O2 saturation during a workout (Read 27 times)

bluerun

Super B****

This isn't for me, so if anything I say doesn't make sense -- not my fault, it just means I misunderstood the information I was given.

My sister's FIL recently had what I will call a cardiac episode (for lack of a better word), and now they're looking for something that can measure his BP and/or O2 saturation while he exercises.  As far as I know, in a home situation, the only way to do that is either manually take your BP or use a wrist BP monitor, which is what I told my sister when she asked; she said that she "couldn't find one with a good rating," and wanted to know if there was one I would recommend.

Thankfully, I have no cardiac issues, so I don't know the first thing about BP monitors.  But I figured someone here might have more of a clue... has anyone ever used one of those BP wrist monitors, one you'd recommend?

As for the O2 saturation, I'm really not sure how one would test that outside of a lab.  Is that even possible?  I asked if we're just looking to measure BP here, and she said that ideally both, but it's important that the BP reading be accurate.

Any ideas??  TIA!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

I don't know how you would manually take your blood pressure?  Heart rate/pulse, yes - but blood pressure, I dunno?

I think his best bet is to try to recreate whatever is happening in a stress treadmill test.  They will have him hooked up to an electronic BP cuff during it and a finger O2 monitor.    I'm surprised that wasn't offered - or was it?

bluerun

Super B****

I don't know how you would manually take your blood pressure?  Heart rate/pulse, yes - but blood pressure, I dunno?

I think his best bet is to try to recreate whatever is happening in a stress treadmill test.  They will have him hooked up to an electronic BP cuff during it and a finger O2 monitor.    I'm surprised that wasn't offered - or was it?

Haha, well, there are a lot of medics in my family so having BP taken is not a big deal!

And there you go -- I had no idea there was such a thing as a finger O2 monitor.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

catwhoorg

Labrat

You can buy a finger oxygen monitor at Walgreens or CVS or similar places.

Not sure how accurate they would be.

Continuous noninvasive BP measurement would be what you would be looking for, No idea of whats the best out of a whole slew of selections out there.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hip Redux

Haha, well, there are a lot of medics in my family so having BP taken is not a big deal!

And there you go -- I had no idea there was such a thing as a finger O2 monitor.

Do you guys walk around with a BP cuffs and stethoscopes at holiday parties or something?  lol   Seriously though - if you can do that, that seems like the most accurate way.

I believe the finger monitors are called oximeters.