Beginners and Beyond

Do you remember how to write? (Read 213 times)

B-Plus

I mean, as opposed to printing? I came across this article yesterday, and to be honest, I don't think I'd be able to write a letter without referring to a sample to copy some letters - especially capital letters. The closest I come to writing is combining some letters when I'm printing if I'm in a rush. Is this still a necessary life skill?

cmb4314

I mean, as opposed to printing? I came across this article yesterday, and to be honest, I don't think I'd be able to write a letter without referring to a sample to copy some letters - especially capital letters. The closest I come to writing is combining some letters when I'm printing if I'm in a rush. Is this still a necessary life skill?

i definitely remember most of it, but I am kind of sketchy on a few of the capital letters.

About the only time I use it, other than my signature, is when I'm signing greeting cards.  And I have really no idea why I use it there, but I do.

Honestly, I rarely even write full sentences in any kind of handwriting - it's always typed.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Will run for scenery.

No I don't.  I've gotten to where I have to concentrate a bit just to print, and (other than my signature) writing in cursive feels stranger than trying to speak in a foreign language.  Although I don't secretary-type, I do computer-nerd-type, and I kind of worry that typing is about to get tossed into the single-stream recycling bin of history.

The only real upside is that these days nobody expects you to write letters, and everyone understands if you don't do Facebook.  So there's a win/win, at least.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sure, though when I'm writing something by hand I normally use a mix of writing and printing.  A few of the less commonly used letters, especially upper case, I might have to think momentarily to be sure I have it right, but otherwise I'm fine with it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

Cursive writing? Yes, I still use it. I wish I could use it on more occasions.Priniting takes me longer than cursive.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I can write it.  Can anyone read it?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

I remember.  Too well.  Damn I'm older than I thought....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Cursive writing? Yes, I still use it. I wish I could use it on more occasions.Priniting takes me longer than cursive.

Another confession. That article was the first time I heard it referred to as cursive. We always called it writing when we were in school.

I wrote the final exam for my field of study 7 years ago. The damn hardest thing about that exam was having the physical stamina to print or write for 4 hours. I'm with cmb - I rarely print more than a full sentence nowadays.

I guess it may be useful to know how to read this ancient script so we can understand grandma's recipes.

My asian friends have the same type of issue. They can barely write Chinese characters by hand anymore.

B-Plus

I remember.  Too well.  Damn I'm older than I thought....

But can you actually do it? I think I'd have a lot of trouble with that.

happylily

How do people today write birthday cards, grocery lists and love letters?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I can still do it.  I still know how to do caligraphy as well.

A a sidenote, I still cannot believe how some people take the bar exams in writing.  Every time I see someone bring a yellow tablet to court, I look up to see they are at least in their 5th decade.

But can you actually do it? I think I'd have a lot of trouble with that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Grocery lists?  Notes on iPhone.

Birthday cards?  I only say happy birthday, love, sign.

Love letters?  What are those? Joking  Hubby just sends me iMessages every day.  Awwww.

How do people today write birthday cards, grocery lists and love letters?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Grocery lists?  Notes on iPhone. Ditto

Birthday cards?  I only say happy birthday, love, sign. Happy birthday message on Facebook or in person for important peeps

Love letters?  What are those? Joking  Hubby just sends me iMessages every day.  Awwww. Ugly hand printed cards

Sloooow.

I hand-write lots of things. I love writing lists, and it does absolutely nothing for me to type them out. My handwriting is quite neat, and I still remember cursive.

I guess with this age of technology, handwriting will take a back burner to typing. Never really thought about that.

Dr. Cornsitter

As an English major in undergrad, I had a terrible habit of never editing my own papers. So to combat that, I would handwrite pages and pages of essays on college ruled notepads, so that I would HAVE to reread what I wrote at least once as I typed it into the computer. My papers got so much better after that.

I handwrite notes, lists, work-related drafts, Christmas and thank you cards, and notes to my family. But I type love letters Big grin

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.