Beginners and Beyond

So I have been looking for a HM in MA or NH or RI... (Read 94 times)

bobruns

I go north every 6 months to visit the old folk.  I am due back in June or early July.  I have been looking for a HM but haven't had much luck.  I have looked in all the usual places.  I would also consider CT.  I would prefer to stay east'ish and out of the mountains if at all possible since I am travelling from FL.  I don't mind hills really but mountains are a different story.

Any suggestions?  I am just having no luck at all on my own.

Just B.S.

The Mc

The Mad River Half in Waitsfield, VT.  Not as far from Mass as you may think.

Papa don't take no mess.

delicate flower

There is this one in Simsbury, CT (northwestern part of the state).  Some rolling hills but not at all "hilly."  I wish I could do it as it's in my town, but I won't be recovered from knee surgery and I have a BikeMS event that weekend.

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Amica_Iron_Horse_Half_Marathon__10K___5K.htm

<3

bobruns

The Mad River Half in Waitsfield, VT.  Not as far from Mass as you may think.

You are joking right?  I did say no mountains.  I actually ran the Mad River HM 2 yrs ago.  It has crazy mountains!  I know it is not far from MA though...but CRAZY MOUNTAINS.  Have you ever run it?  Waitsfied was beautiful though!!  I loved the town (and the race really...Wink)

The Mc

You are joking right?  I did say no mountains.  I actually ran the Mad River HM 2 yrs ago.  It has crazy mountains!  I know it is not far from MA though...but CRAZY MOUNTAINS.  Have you ever run it?  Waitsfied was beautiful though!!  I loved the town (and the race really...Wink)

There are no real mountains east of the Mississippi!  Wink

Papa don't take no mess.

bobruns

There is this one in Simsbury, CT (northwestern part of the state).  Some rolling hills but not at all "hilly."  I wish I could do it as it's in my town, but I won't be recovered from knee surgery and I have a BikeMS event that weekend.

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Amica_Iron_Horse_Half_Marathon__10K___5K.htm

See...I missed that one some how.   My sister lives in Preston and she comes to all my HM's so easy-peasy.   And it is nice and New England'y.  Just what this florida girl is looking for.  (actually I thought it was in Hartford and didn't want a city race...)

delicate flower

See...I missed that one some how.   My sister lives in Preston and she comes to all my HM's so easy-peasy.   And it is nice and New England'y.  Just what this florida girl is looking for.  (actually I thought it was in Hartford and didn't want a city race...)

It is about as suburbia as suburbia can be and very typical New England scenery.  And, plenty of free parking.  It's also a Hartford Marathon Foundation event...they operate like a well oiled machine.  I'd really like to run it.  I run those roads often.  Le bummed.

<3

RSX

I'm googled challenged at the moment as far as getting the link to show up here. If you google New England Half Marathons Calendar you get a few web sites. You may want to list what area of MA is your real preference as you may get specific recommendations. October is a great month for MA as there are 6 in the month of October alone.

bobruns

I'm googled challenged at the moment as far as getting the link to show up here. If you google New England Half Marathons Calendar you get a few web sites. You may want to list what area of MA is your real preference as you may get specific recommendations. October is a great month for MA as there are 6 in the month of October alone.

Yeah.  I know that the fall is a better time up there for races.  It just isn't the right timing for me this time.  I have to say...it is nice to get out of the Florida heat in the summer.

RSX

Yeah.  I know that the fall is a better time up there for races.  It just isn't the right timing for me this time.  I have to say...it is nice to get out of the Florida heat in the summer.

I was brainstorming with a guy who is trying to organize races for a town. If we end up working together I will be suggesting a spring half, as he had a few ideas that competed against big races in towns nearby . It is weird that we have so many MA ones in the fall, and not enough in the spring.

an amazing likeness

For June in New England...

Someone already posted the Iron Horse Half in Simsbury CT, early June. This is a great course -- beautiful rolling country in a figure 8 pattern.

There's really nothing in NH that I know of in June/July.

In ME there's Band On The Run half in Lewiston ME in June which is a wacky mix of road, rail-to-trail, and trail.

In ME there's Kennebec River Trail half in Augusta which is all on rail-to-trail and small -- less than 400 or so. Nice event.

In VT there's Covered Bridges Half -- long sold out by now -- but renowned for its 5 covered bridges.

In RI there's....nothing....well, I know nothing about RI.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bobruns

For June in New England...

Someone already posted the Iron Horse Half in Simsbury CT, early June. This is a great course -- beautiful rolling country in a figure 8 pattern.

There's really nothing in NH that I know of in June/July.

In ME there's Band On The Run half in Lewiston ME in June which is a wacky mix of road, rail-to-trail, and trail.

In ME there's Kennebec River Trail half in Augusta which is all on rail-to-trail and small -- less than 400 or so. Nice event.

In VT there's Covered Bridges Half -- long sold out by now -- but renowned for its 5 covered bridges.

In RI there's....nothing....well, I know nothing about RI.

Covered Bridges sold out in 14 minutes!  Crazy!  I think right now it is a toss up between Iron Horse and the Fairfield HM also in CT.  I lived there as a child and took swimming lessons at that beach.  Kind of cool.  I did find one in RI in July but I can't ge that time off work (arg! I hate when work gets in the way...).  I just can get excited about it for some reason so I am still searching.

an amazing likeness

Covered Bridges sold out in 14 minutes!  Crazy!  I think right now it is a toss up between Iron Horse and the Fairfield HM also in CT.  I lived there as a child and took swimming lessons at that beach.  Kind of cool.  I did find one in RI in July but I can't ge that time off work (arg! I hate when work gets in the way...).  I just can get excited about it for some reason so I am still searching.

I was able to get into Covered Bridges HM for this year.  However, if I had missed that..I'd definitely go back to the Iron Horse HM. Iron Horse was a good race...right size, nice course, nice location.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bobruns

I was able to get into Covered Bridges HM for this year.  However, if I had missed that..I'd definitely go back to the Iron Horse HM. Iron Horse was a good race...right size, nice course, nice location.

See...I sort of let my sister choose which one she wanted and she picked Fairfield.  You and Baboon are making me wish she picked Iron Horse...  She is such a dedicated fan that I like her to be involed in the decision.  (I don't understand why she doesn't understand how valuable the input of people I call baboon and milktruck are!)