Beginners and Beyond

Color Runs (Read 367 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

A friend approached me about wanting to get a team together to do a Color Run. I've seen a lot of friend's pictures on Facebook and heard them rant and rave about how awesome these things are. But none of these friends are really "runners"... most of them jog/walked this and did it only for fun, and it was the only race they ever did. I think I remember seeing Color Runs knocked a few times on the BF by you "real" running folks. Just wondering what your experiences with Color Runs have been like? Fun, or total pain in the ass? If I did it, is it something I could treat seriously as a race, or just go have a fun day with friends getting colored powder chucked at me? I'm assuming the latter. Just curious about what you guys thought.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Runshortii

Most of them aren't timed so its not something i would treat as a race. I did one in August. It was alright. It was a fun day with friends but we didn't even run much of it. I probably won't do another one

Sloooow.

I'm doing the Mardi Gras one in New Orleans in February. I'm not treating it as a race, I want to have fun. We're mainly doing it as a family event, my partner is going to be walking it with our girls in a double stroller (with a rain cover of course!)

My DD participated in one and she does not run and did it for fun. Most people do it for fun.  Like the comments above, I would approach the event as just a good time  not a serious race.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Yeah, I've heard they aren't timed, so if that's important to you, I'd look into that before registering.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

@runjerseygirl

I did one last year.  They aren't timed, and you won't be able to run the whole thing.  You WILL have to stop and walk through the color stations.  And I got a wicked migraine after mine, which I thought was related to the powder.  It turns out that it may not have been the cause (for me), but I've heard other people say they got headaches afterwards.

Do you even run?

delicate flower

I'm all in favor of anything that gets people out of the house and moving.  I have no desire to do one of these novelty runs myself though.  If that's your thing though, I give you a virtual high five.   

<3

Philliefan33

The Color Me Rad run that I did with the family last year was definitely not a race.  There was no clock, and even though the course was advertised as a 5K I only got 2.5 miles on my GPS.  Some people were running, many were walking.

We had a lot of fun -- my girls doubled back to get re-coated with color a few times.  We had the added bonus of seeing DH (who's usually very reserved) look and act silly.  The "after" picture from that run is our Christmas card insert this year.

If you want to have fun with your friends, do it.  But don't plan on counting it as a race.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys! You confirmed what I was kind of assuming. I wanted to do at least one spring 5K, so if I do it I will treat it as a fun day and find an additional 5K to do. Thanks..

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Shakedown Street

Pass on mud (unless it's trail), Obstacle, Color, Rave, Night, etc, etc. for me. 

I tried a fun cool gimmick run as my 3rd run in the summer, worst experience ever.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I don't like all these gimmick races like mudders, zombies, and now this color run. I guess i just like to just run a race.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Meh, come by my house and I'll dump left over paint on you for half the price.  

You people have issues 

Docket_Rocket

There is one here in Miami but with the asthma and the comments that the pain is all in powder form, I'll pass.

I know people that have done them and love them.  But they are more fun runs than races.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Chairman

I don't get it. Pay to get covered with a bunch of crap? 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I haven't looked, though I doubt it would be published anywhere, but I'd be very interested to see the rates of eye injuries and respiratory complaints from participants in these "events".

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.