Beginners and Beyond

Report w/Photos: Chaksis 8K - and kissed by a Llama! (Read 67 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO and Link to Report on RW site: 

http://community.runnersworld.com/displayForumTopic/content/8190399985028088

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Race #20 for me for 2013.  The Chaksis 8K/Peruvian Festival was held in Helotes, Texas.  Supports Texas Partners of the Americas, which helps 110 families in Peru displaced by an earthquake there. The only thing I could not figure out is why the race is named "Chaksis.'  I thought maybe it was a town in Peru or is a Peruvian word, but I could not find anything on it.  Oh, well.  Have to ask my pal, Ceci, next time I see her.  Soler Sports, one of our local running stores - actually our best local running store, with 3 San Antonio area locations - was the host for this event.  I haven't done nearly 5 miles in FOREVER, and Helotes is quite hilly in areas, so figured this one would be pretty slow for me, and I was right.  Still, I surprised myself and managed to finish under an hour - just barely, lol - at 57:16.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

I got there with about 30 minutes to go before start time, and right off got a photo with two of my 'running crushes' the lovely ladies Ceci (photo, left) and Karen.

race 006

A family of runners, son, father, mother.  The father is also a cancer survivor.

race 005

Two survivors

race 009

A few of my fellow club members of San Antonio Roadrunners.  Jim, the tall guy in the 2nd photo, was recovering from a pulled hamstring; so he only did 7 minute miles today instead of his usual 6-minute miles.

race 002

race 001

A few more folks waiting for the start

race 010

race 003

race 004

On The Curse - errr, Course 

I jokingly said "curse"  because, while the 1st three miles of the course were "relatively" flat, that darn sadist Race Director   really zapped us with the last 1.96 miles of the course with some quite challenging hills.  Hills after doing 3 miles, along with a VERY humid day (nearly 90% humidity)...well, I heard a few folks that jokingly had some 'choice' words along part of the course, lol. This was a relatively small event, maybe 100 - 200 participants, and I was mostly bringing up the rear, so I got some photos that show the 'lonely' country roads that we ran on. Actually, it was a very pretty area, with lots of nice houses along the way that had lots of space around them.

race 011

race 012

race 015

race 014

I was around this lovely lady and her partner for most of the race.   I would stop for photos, they would pass me.  I'd pass them during my run segments.  And so it went. After we finished the course, I jokingly thanked her for being ahead of me a lot, which helped motivate This Old Man to keep moving forward.

race 016

race 017

race 018

race 019

race 020

race 025

race 021

race 024

We're now on the road that took us to the hills...

race 028

race 026

Let the hills begin!

race 029

race 030

race 031

We even had to climb this last incline/small hill right before we got to the finish line - where the orange cones are, we turned right into a parking lot and crossed the finish line.

race 035

After The Race

As we crossed the line, this young lady greeted each finisher with a cup of water

race 050

After I got some water, I went back out on the course to run in my friend, Karen. On the way to find her, I took some  of these folks heading to the finish

race 038

race 036

then along came Karen..

race 039

I ran with her almost to the finish line, then dropped off, and she crossed the finish line.  I went around taking some post-race photos.

Because this was a Peru-oriented event, I got to meet Pepe the Llama

race 041

Who was trained to 'give kisses' and he gave me one...

race 042

My new friends from the course also got to meet Pepe

race 043

There were also folks in Peruvian heritage dress.  A couple of them also performed for us a very entertaining traditional Peruvian dance.

race 048

race 040

There were even a couple of doggies at the event, with one of them in the Easter Bunny spirit

race 054

race 052

A few more of the great volunteers that were out there for us

race 058

"Happy Finishers" and supporters

race 049

race 044

race 045

race 046

race 047

race 059

These two are wearing the nice race shirts everyone got in their goodie bags.

race 055

race 056

A few Age Group winners.  The 'medal's for this event were hand-crafted various-styles Peruvian bags.

My running club friends, Cheri and Ronnie showing their AG award bling

race 057

This was the overall 1st place winner, who won a t-shirt and a bag

race 062

These speedy guys, who I see at a lot of the local events I do, also placed

race 060

They asked to get a photo with me..the Hares and the Turtle here, lol..

race 061

EPILOG

Small event, but very nice one, and lots of nice post-race goodies too, including gatorade, and sausage tacos  (yummy) and bean-and-cheese tacos too.  I was hoping that maybe there would be some Peruvian beer, but no luck..maybe next year.     Challenging course - and I finished in under an hour, which made me happy... - but also a friendly one, with lots of nice folks participating, lots of encouragement for each other along the way, and lots of nice post-race activity.  Very unusual age group awards too, which was a nice touch.   Definitely would recommend this one to do.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

Great RR.  I love the AG awards!

And congrats on the llama smooch.  :P  lol

Docket_Rocket

I would've done it just to be kissed by a llama.  Great RR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Those bags are awesome.

And the shirtless guy won a shirt, haha.

hog4life

Awesome report Scotty, congrats on number 20!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awesome job Scotty.  That llama photo should be framed and hung up somewhere.  That's awesome!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

Great RR Scotty.  Love the photos with the llama.  I really like the woven bags. It sounds like a good race.

LRB

And the shirtless guy won a shirt, haha.

Good eye!

I was going to say hopefully he doesn't win a gut at his next event!

Nice job Scott!  It always worries me to see traffic running next to these things.  Thankfully, all went well.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's not exactly what I thought llamas were noted for. Joking

According to wikipedia: Chaskis or chasquis

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good eye!

I was going to say hopefully he doesn't win a gut at his next event!

Nice job Scott!  It always worries me to see traffic running next to these things.  Thankfully, all went well.

Thanks, LRB!  This is the 6th year for this race in Helotes, along with the festival.  Helotes is a fairly small town and this event is advertised all week before, so all the citizens there are aware of it.    What drivers are around us are usually very nice about it all and drive very slowly going by us.  They very often give us hand-waves or thumbs-up of encouragement as they go by us or come toward us.  A very nice, runner-friendly town.  Bike friendly too, as lots of cyclists have events here and do training rides in Helotes.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That's not exactly what I thought llamas were noted for. Joking

According to wikipedia: Chaskis or chasquis

Thanks, George, that was quite interesting!  Now I know!  And will pass that on at future events to other runners there who may want to know.

SheCan

Great report, Scotty and very cool Peruvian theme.  Gotta love all those colors and well that friendly llama!  Congratulations on #20 for you for the year--- impressive!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good job Scotty! Nice pics with the llama and the " hares"!

I guess the modern term for quipu is "smart phone"!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Little Blue

That looks like a fun race, and the Llama looks very happy.  Unlike the volunteers in the white shirts, some of them look like Mom forced them to be there. Smile

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Great report, Scotty!

Looks like everybody had a good time.

20 races so far this year - Wow! I've barely run that many in my life!

Congrats on the Llama smooch! Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54