Beginners and Beyond

Why do so many runners frown upon the TM? (Read 237 times)

Just B.S.

Having said that, me doing TM paces is not the equivalent of my paces outside anyway.  Like I said, I can easily do low 9mm on the TM and that is 2mm FASTER than what I do outside even in teh Winter.  IT's just too easy a workout for me because of the conditions of the TM vs my outside.

Perhaps because you can easily do close to 9mm on the treadmill you should do more TM work for marathons

you are running away from the Florida climate?  You said you ran a 1/2 marathon PR on the treadmill so I would

think more TM's runs should be beneficial to you when you do your desintation marathons in cooler climates?

Would be worth a try!!

happylily

Perhaps because you can easily do close to 9mm on the treadmill you should do more TM work for marathons

you are running away from the Florida climate?  You said you ran a 1/2 marathon PR on the treadmill so I would

think more TM's runs should be beneficial to you when you do your desintation marathons in cooler climates?

Would be worth a try!!

+1. I was also thinking this. Without an attack, you should expect  a sub-9:00 pace full outside of Florida, D.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I tried that for the NYCM but the race didn't go the way I wanted to (asthma).  I used to run on the TM all the time a few years ago (a decade of running on the TM).  I get better when I run outside as compared to that.  I didn't get as fast as I do now as then.  But I've thought about that (for destination races).  Still, I do all my speedwork on pace outside so I am not sure how the TM will help me more (I adjust other runs but not the short speedwork).

Would be worth a try!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Yes, but LRB has a point.  My 9mm on the TM Is NOT a 9mm outside.  It's easier to run on the TM (less effort, no sun, no conditions, no humidity), at least for me.

+1. I was also thinking this. Without an attack, you should expect  a sub-9:00 pace full outside of Florida, D.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Another thing that points to running outside better for me is the dustmite allergy.  No exposure to it might hurt me when I race outside (which is full of it).  The doctor prefers I suffer through dustmite craziness so I can create antibodies.  Which sucks when it's windy and humid because I tend to get attacks but she feels the attacks will result in a higher production of antibodies.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

happylily

Yes, but LRB has a point.  My 9mm on the TM Is NOT a 9mm outside.  It's easier to run on the TM (less effort, no sun, no conditions, no humidity), at least for me.

Then you should run faster on the TM. That is what I do, I push the pace and always stick to the fast end of a range.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

cmb4314

Would be worth a try!!

Amusingly, living up in Minnesota, I'm using the treadmill to the opposite effect - while I would ideally run outside, I was thinking that getting stuck training in the 75 degree gym a good percentage of the time might save my bacon if my marathon in New Orleans is a bit warm Joking

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Village people

I agree with this completely.

Nothing I run on the TM is indicative of what I can/cannot run outside.  I therefore take my TM paces with a grain of salt, and instead rely on my outdoor paces/performances for reference.

I get the whole calibration thing and all of that, I just think running on a TM in general is easier, or requires less of an internal motor in some aspects.

I keep my tm paces and outdoor paces separate. I'm not training for any races, so I am just running because I like to do it.  If I was racing, I would try to get outside more. Keeping my legs moving at the pace of my treadmill belt is not the same as getting my legs to move at that same speed outside. I think of treadmill runs are more difficult mentally and my outside runs are physically more difficult. I prefer the outdoors, but I like running, so I do what I have to do.

Just B.S.

I tried that for the NYCM but the race didn't go the way I wanted to (asthma).  I used to run on the TM all the time a few years ago (a decade of running on the TM).  I get better when I run outside as compared to that.  I didn't get as fast as I do now as then.  But I've thought about that (for destination races).  Still, I do all my speedwork on pace outside so I am not sure how the TM will help me more (I adjust other runs but not the short speedwork).

Short speedwork is such a small part of the training and for most people is not a crucial piece  of maintaining

endurance and pacing over a full marathon.

I know you had an attack in NY but hopefully that wouldn't happen again in a cooler climate. I think doing one

medium long run on the treadmill at a faster pace would likely provide more benefit for pace endurance than

short speed work outside.

Like Lily said, with the outside conditions taken away, you would likely see some benefits to running some faster

runs on the TM.  Do your other runs outside to keep up the dustmite defences!!

TM seems to work great for Lily! If I had her patience for TM running I would do more myself............but I feel like

poking my eyes out with a fork after 5 miles.......Roll eyes

Nevrgivup

Then you should run faster on the TM. That is what I do, I push the pace and always stick to the fast end of a range.

This is what I do too. Its great for holding a tempo pace compared to running on the road. It forces you to run that particular pace. In regards to pace and effort, I find running on the TM even harder at times because you have to remain consistent. That is interesting Damaris that you can run faster on the TM than outside because for me its the opposite. When running an easy paced run on the TM its usually slower than my easy pace outside on the road. I don't know. Either way, I'm running and that is what is important to keep me in shape.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Docket_Rocket

Clarifying, for Berlin I did everything on pace outside, even on 96F and 90% humidity.  I was actually surprised because that is not usually the case.  But prior to that, it was just the short speedwork.

Short speedwork is such a small part of the training and for most people is not a crucial piece  of maintaining

endurance and pacing over a full marathon.

I know you had an attack in NY but hopefully that wouldn't happen again in a cooler climate. I think doing one

medium long run on the treadmill at a faster pace would likely provide more benefit for pace endurance than

short speed work outside.

Like Lily said, with the outside conditions taken away, you would likely see some benefits to running some faster

runs on the TM.  Do your other runs outside to keep up the dustmite defences!!

TM seems to work great for Lily! If I had her patience for TM running I would do more myself............but I feel like

poking my eyes out with a fork after 5 miles.......Roll eyes

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Have you checked your treadmill calibration docket? Wink

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Yes.  And I am talking about every TM that I have used in decades.

Have you checked your treadmill calibration docket? Wink

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

It was more a joke. I figured you were smart enough to rule that out. It only took me 3 years to check my own. LOL.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LRB

I keep my tm paces and outdoor paces separate. I'm not training for any races, so I am just running because I like to do it.  If I was racing, I would try to get outside more. Keeping my legs moving at the pace of my treadmill belt is not the same as getting my legs to move at that same speed outside. I think of treadmill runs are more difficult mentally and my outside runs are physically more difficult. I prefer the outdoors, but I like running, so I do what I have to do.

Agreed.  For me, running a 6 minute mile on the treadmill requires nothing more than my ability to pick my feet up and put them down to the speed of the belt.  Whereas running the same speed outside requires me to actually propel myself forward with each foot drop and thus, is more difficult, to me.  Someone else may disagree with that.

Of course we all are talking about our own experiences, so while I have found it easier (easier is a relative term) to run a given pace on the treadmill as opposed to outside, someone else may find the exact opposite, or something entirely different.

Ultimately for me, I prefer to do speed work outside for one reason; it has proven to be most reliable when predicting race day performances.