Beginners and Beyond

Sharon Dolan dies at 71 from stroke.... (Read 74 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I was going to put these into the same thread but WTH, a couple of 70+ year old women?..... they both deserve their own so I'll post another about Libby James following this one.

http://www.runnersworld.com/masters/age-group-ace-sharon-dolan-dies-on-a-run

I know, Julie, this will probably strike a chord with you, though I'm not at all advocating any running/stroke relationship.  I just think its crazy that anybody with the cardiovascular health of a runner (especially good, accomplished runners) could even have a remote chance of having a stroke, but nevertheless.

A 25:32 at age 71 is pretty kick ass!

I, personally, like that she began running in her 30's.  No track stars here, just a fast chick who ran with passion! Smile

Randy

Love the Half

There are any number of medical conditions that can cause a stroke.  One of the more common is caused by a small hole between the heart's two upper chambers.  It typically closes soon after birth but "typically" is not the same thing as "always."  It can allow a blood clot to travel through the body and, if it reaches the brain, cause a stroke.  Your level of fitness is irrelevant.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).