Beginners and Beyond

Brooklyn runners get mad at Obama and get to run in forbidden cemetery (Read 80 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yes, this is a real post.

Today, Obama was visiting Prospect Park in Brooklyn, and it was announced that the park would be closed to the public from 12:00pm-6:00pm. The moms and nannies who have play groups in the park got over it. Dog walkers got over it. Cyclists got over it. Runners? NOPE. With the NYC marathon a little over a week away and taper madness abound, Brooklyn runners could not fathom not being allowed to run in the park from 12:00-6:00. They whined and complained enough that they got themselves a very special opportunity.

Greenwood Cemetery is near to Prospect Park, but running inside the cemetery is strictly prohibited. I guess it is disrespectful to run amongst the dead. Even though the cemetery has regular tours, promotes doing grave rubbings, has a gift shop with souvenirs including T-shirts, and is a popular spot for tourists, picnickers in warm weather, and walkers. Anyway......the cemetery is beautiful. It is on a plot of land that has a 3-ish mile perimeter and inside are labyrinths of wide asphalt pathways on rolling hills with views of Manhattan, Gothic architecture, ornate graves and mausoleums, several ponds, and was designed by Frederik Law Olmsted who designed Prospect Park and Central Park. So, less than a week before Halloween, runners were permitted to run in this beautiful forbidden cemetery. And they came out in droves to do so. I got the chance to go for a 6 mile run there this afternoon. Every runner I passed smiled giddly and waved.....and Brooklyn runners do NOT smile and wave at other runners. I did it scottydawg-style and paused to take a lot of pictures, as this is an opportunity I will never have again.....pretty cool.

Here's one I took by total accident but it came out cool!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Wow, what  a cool place to run!  I like the angel statue in pic 5.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

tracilynn

Thats super coolCool!  Great pics

~~~~~~~

Traci

delicate flower

That is pretty awesome.  What a cool treat that must have been.

<3

HobbitLegs

elevenses

What a treat! Thanks for sharing the pics with us. I love getting try out new places.

That is really beautiful, and your pictures are really well framed. Thank you for sharing.

Cool!

happylily

Beautiful cemetery!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GinnyinPA

That looks like a great place to run - or walk.  I like visiting old cemeteries.

LRB

So who gets the credit for allowing the runners to run there?

Love the Half

If I recall correctly, Ed Whitlock does most of his running in a cemetery.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What you really need is permission to run there from 12:00am-6:00am. Big grin After midnight....

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Zelanie

Looks like a fun run!

Pinktastic

What a beautiful cemetery!  Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.