Beginners and Beyond

Standard Chartered Marathon 2013 RR ** my first ** (Read 89 times)

Bin Running

Short version

Standard Chartered Marathon. 01 Dec 2013, Singapore

Ran FM @ 4:04:22. #490/14807

Longer version

1st Full Marathon.  20mths after starting to run seriously.. (Started after a shin splints on Apr 2012)

Goal for this race:
    Goal 1: Finished upright.. J
    Goal 2: Sub 4:00
    Goal 3: Get as close to 3:50 as possible.

Never thought I would be running a Full before.. But never say never.. Started running more serious Apr last year and I have 7-8 HM under my belt… though with half of it inadequately prepared.. 1st, 2nd and 3rd HM finished with some sort of cramps during the race.. Not fun.

I decided to stick to Pfitz training plan as I had used it for my previous 3HM. I only used the skeleton of it as I know I would have problem following it closely due to life and work and laziness.. I looked at his 18/55 plan and added 1 week. Moved a few workouts around and I had some sort of 19/60 (48 avg) plan. Didn’t manage to stick to it and finished the plan on a 45mpw average.

The plan started quite well. There was a cancelled 16.8K run that sort of mess up my plan.. Taper 2 days for it and it was cancelled due to heavy rain. Missed 3 days and tried to make it up with a 13.1 + 6.2 double the next day.. Was feeling some sort of cold or flu symptom the next day. Developed a cough which I can’t shake off for 5 weeks. Scraped all speed-work for next 2 weeks due to the cough but still managed to clock 48+ mpw.

Ran 2 more tune up race while having the cough. HM which is less than ideal due to a 10 min+ congestion and I completed in 2:19. 2 weeks later, I ran a 10K at 49:23 on a hilly course but the good weather sort of make it a net off.. Looks like the 10K still points to a sub 4, which is good.

By week10, I was tired.. Maybe the plan was too advanced for me. DW is expected to deliver on 14 Oct and we are all waiting.. DD arrived healthy on 09 Oct and I had to cut off all workouts. I was down with cold and flu while staying with DW in the hospital anyway and the dreaded cough is back.. It stays for another 5 weeks but I am sort of getting used to running with it.

Week after birth of DW, I had a32K race which I intended to run half of it at MP. Completed in 3:06:00.. I started out pretty conservatively. 1st half avg @ 9:41 and 2nd half avg @ 9:15.  Wanted to do the first 10M slightly faster than LR and try to go down to MP for last 10M but didn't really had it in me that day.

Taper was welcomed.. hee.. My only concern for this cycle is that I didn’t managed to hit any 20M LR except that 20M race. Did abt 10 run of 16-19M.. Hope that is enough. My right Achilles tendon was a little sore on taper days but I guess that’s normal.. Feeling a little pain on the inner legs at posterior medial area. I re-read Awood’s RR as he is very close to my fitness level (but much more more talented). Picking up a few pointers there.

As expected, didn’t slept much the night before. Went to bed at 9pm and tossed around a lot.. Sharing the bed with DS doesn’t helped but I am willing to sacrifice for the cuddle.. Alarm set at 3am. Slept a little and was quite awake at 2:30am but decided to lie a bit. Woke at 3am and had 2 slice of bread with coffee.. Met up an old friend who is also aiming for sub4 at 415am. The race start at 5am. This is his 3rd.

Here’s a simple pace band I DIY.

Here are my splits (in km, sorry guys...)

1-8KM

I was very relaxed as I only wanted to experience the atmosphere of the race.. I was lined pretty near the front, maybe 20 pax deep and there’s plenty of rooms for everyone. We ran along a famous shopping district with all the Christmas lighting up.. My buddy was out of sight pretty quickly. My plan is to have a gel every 5M and I had my 1st w/o water here. Not too bad but that clif shot gel stick all around the gum while I have to swallow bits by bits.. Might be a good thing though, releasing it into my system slowly.. Just a guess. I am feeling a little tight on my right Achilles tendon.. Nothing painful but sort of like wearing a thick band over it kind of discomfort.

9 – 16KM

These few KMs passed by quickly. At 10K mark, I was off of my goal pace by abt 1 min but I guess that’s ok. One lady was very chatty and we all get to know that she ran a 100K not too long ago and was running this Full with some panadol. Hmm.. Took in my 2nd gel here.

17 – 24KM

The road here was pretty flat as we entered a coastal area. I caught up with the 4:15 pacers and stick to them for 1-2km. Had to pass them and go on my own as they are a little off my pace. Passed 20K and was faster by 2 min+. Not a good sign in term of pacing. Caught up with my buddy but he’s seem to be struggling.. We paced each other for abt 1km and decided to part ways.

25 – 32KM

It started to rain and I was worried more for my Iphone. Didn’t have any plastic bag handy and was lucky to pick up one (2 in fact) on the road. 10-32km is an out and back route as we get to see all the Kenyans and fast guys making their way back. What a sight to be seeing them pass by.. I caught up with the 4:00 pacers and stayed with them for a little longer than the 4:15 pacers. It’s a pretty big group and I think it is messing with my gait to stay not stepping onto someone’s feet. Had to surge past them but I know they are always close behind. Took gel #4 and my last gel @ 32K. Passed 30k with 2min+ of my goal pace.. Hey, maybe I got this! Not!

32KM- 40KM

The weather was very good today, cloudy and a little rain. It is usually starting to burn at this timing (8am onwards). Now, I am running the longest I have ever ran.. The thoughts of not running anything longer seems to play trick on me.. My breathing is still ok but my legs are tired. Not much strength in them but I keep telling myself: “I am relax and I am strong.” Seem to work somehow. My right Achilles tendon is killing me now. My pace has dropped by abt 20sec/mile now. At KM36, the 4:00 pacers overtook me and I tried to catch onto their tailcoat but that didn’t happened.

At KM37-39, there is this one big car flyover that everyone cursed. While attacking the slope, I have slowed by 1min/mile.. I managed to not walk but do a very slow shuffling. My buddy caught up and gave me a pat on the back and we attacked the slope together. Maybe I should do more hill training. The down slope is steeper than the ascent and I have to tell myself not to go all out and crash/burn with 2 km to go. Passed 40K with 3min slower than goal pace.. I am fading..

40-42.2KM

This is where all the 10k, HM and FM merged.. there’s 50K+ runners this years and I have to compete against all the 2:30-HMers and 1:30-10Kers.. Not much space to move around and I am too tired to zig zag my way.  Did a little leapfrog with my buddy here and we encouraged each other. I decided to drop my sub 4 goal and maintain a decent pace. Sub 4 was a little on my mind and I kicked a little.. Once I saw my watch showing 4:00, all energy seems to have drained out of me.. I WALKED! 20 steps of it.. I am so happy to see the finish arch but no tears. My buddy finished just slightly after me. We congratulated each other on the run.

Collected my drinks and medal. There’s a complimentary massage area and I jumped into it.. My right calf is so tight.. It’s probably a mild shin splints on the right posterior medial rather than Achilles tendon. The masseur did a great job and she loosen my right calf.  Think I was a little too fast on my 30K which resulted in 7-8 mins positive split. Well, live to learn another day.

Thanks for reading and pardon my grammar and spelling..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

SPLIT

5km10km15km20km21.1km25km30km35km40km
      00.28.41.23  00.58.18.81  01.24.49.82  01.52.45.38  02.02.06.34  02.20.56.71  02.49.16.20  03.20.37.76  03.50.33.57 

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good job, Bin. It must feel great having your first marathon completed. Even though you didn't get your sub 4, you still sound positive. I know if you had not come down with that cough you probably would have done it. Also, thanks for comparing training notes with you. Now, get healthy, recover, and sign up for another one! Lastly, as the father of three, I would say it is time to kick DS out of the bed. You should get your cuddles from DW. Wink

hog4life

Bin, I think you did an amazing job on your first, congratulations. Do you think you want to do another one for sub 4? I too think the cough and sinus stuff held you back a little.

obiebyke

Awesome, Bin! I love that graphic they did for you and the photo. Always amazed by people who remember so much about their races. Makes for a great read. Congratulations!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations, Bin!  I think with all that you've been through, your 4:04 is an excellent time.  First marathons are hard and you pulled a close enough effort on your first.  I cannot see what you'll be able to do with more consistent training, no coughing, and no life issues.  And this was in hot and humid weather, no?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Holy cow, that is one big ass field and having them all merge at one point makes no sense at all.  Nice on getting in your first marathon.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Yugo18

Hey hey!  Excellent job.  Congratulations on finishing your first marathon.

Zelanie

Congratulations on finishing your first!  You were able to stay super strong on your training even though I know it was challenging, especially with your cough and then the jaundice scare with DD.

You were so close to sub-4 even with that.  So- got any plans to attack sub-4 again? Smile

SheCan

This is the RR, I'd been waiting for.  Congratulations, Bin, on your first marathon!  It really sounds like you ran a good race. It was so fun reading your posts on the penguin thread and going "with you" through training.  I'm so glad the chronic cough did not end up derailing your race.  Nice picture also.  You look really relaxed.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Congratulations Bin.  I think you did really well, especially given some of the issues you had during the last couple months of training.  Next time you'll beat that 4 hr mark, I'm sure.

Antipodean

Great job, Bin! Congrats on your first marathon. I was in Singapore overnight a couple of months ago and was on the riverwalk early in the morning. I was surprised at how many people, locals and not, out running in the mugginess. I kept wondering if one of them were you!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Bin Running

Jack, haa.. Not sure if DW would agree with that idea.. They are the most loveable now..

Mitch, would probably lay off Marathon and stick to HM and shorter for now. FM training need lots of time and dedication.. There’s a Jun Full that starts at midnight. If they sticks to current year arrangement, the 10K, HM and Fm will all be in different timing, with no chance of crowding at the end.

Obie, thanks. I tried to remember small stuff during race and that takes my mind off a bit.

Damaris, hope to be able to have a more consistent training on next one. It’s humid but that’s what I have been running on so I don’t know any better..  haa Weather was pretty kind to us that day.. cloudy and not much direct sunlight which will likely kill off another 5mins for last 10K

LTH, we only have 2 FM every year and everyone is sort of training for the Dec and end their running calendar. Due to it being too hot to run after 10am most days, I can understand the organiser intention to want to let everyone complete before that. 50K runners in a day.. well.. huge congestion.. haa But I do expected that.

Yugo, thanks.

Mel, plan to lay off a little and maybe attack it in Jun. Hopefully more consistent and closer to sub4.

Cherie, hee.. I am suffering there at KM35 or 36 where the 4:00 pacers overtook me. Y’all Penguinsare a major force for me and my training.. I enjoyed reading everyone trainings and benefit from all the advise offered generously.

KiwiRunner, thanks.. Might be me.. Smile Now that you know how I looked. Wave hi if we ever meet.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

happylily

Congratulations on your first marathon! What a great finish time for a first effort! The first one is about learning that you can do it. Now that you know, you must go after that #3 goal in your second marathon. That's the way it works. :-) And don't worry about walking a few steps, it's very normal in your first. Some people (cough, cough...) end up walking a lot more than just a few steps, believe me. :-) Once again, bravo!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

tracilynn

Great RR. I really enjoyed reading it. It was fun following your training on the penguin thread. I remember you dealing with the cough and worried about it possibly being whooping cough or maybe asthma. Anyway,  4;04 is a really strong first marathon time and you should be really proud of it, especially given all the distractions you had.  Great job. Proud of you and happy for you

~~~~~~~

Traci