Beginners and Beyond

Get me, I'm starting the Thursday Penguins!! (Read 24 times)

hog4life

Cherie, there is only expo registration, and I won't pay $150.

Anson, glad to hear your back is still improving.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: No, I'm going solo. I am on vacation this week and DW and the kids are in school. My LR is scheduled for Saturday but I have get to work at DD's track meet ALL DAY Saturday so I am doing it Friday morning. DW will run 14 on Saturday. Our training schedules are just a bit off because after I ran in the LA Marathon my PF was very bad and I had to back off. It's much better now and I am trying to ramp up the training again, kind of on my on plan (fingers crossed). I think the extra day of rest I have been giving myself (along with the golf ball and stair stretching) has been the best thing for me.

Docket_Rocket

She Can - It is way better.  It gets better with each appointment.  Don't you just love spring?

What is this Spring you speak of????

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Amazonian Princess

Happy Thursday!

Thank you, HsM for starting the thread  I was up early to run before work and was going to start the thread but got distracted checking on our container (apartment balcony) garden. After reading that you started planting last week I got inspired and bought some peppers for DH and petunias for my hanger boxes.

'morning, Awood! When I saw h4l's post I read your name as "Arson" and though, well, yeah, he is smokin' fast!

Jack  & sapf - Enjoy your RD!

Hi, Zelanie - thank you for your note regarding doubles (longs runs > doubles > no miles) Since I signed up with a trainer and she wants me in twice a week (Tues, Thurs) I think on Thursdays that I'll run before work, then weights and core with her after work. Might be too ambitious but I won't know unless I push myself (yup, you guys definitely rub off on your newbies )

Docket - Nashville for a half sounds like a great weekend!

PAD - I second your suggestion for virtual cookies from HsM!

hog - you are so awesome to help with the NOBO group! Support is a gift to a newbie.

She Can - sorry to hear your ankle is sore but it's wonderful that you were able to enjoy your run as well as the beauty of the wildflowers!

Today the big bosses are off-site so I'm actually productive. And, my staff all got their raises (though mine was denied because no one in management got them this year - grrrrr!) so they're humming along. Hope it lasts another 6 hours and five minutes!

I can. I will. I am. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, looks like I am going to have a 4-day weekend, but parts of it certainly are not going to be fun today.  I woke up this morning feeling really blah, with stomach hurting, etc.  Ended up going to the doc this morning - gotta love the military, there is an 'urgent care' (kinda like sick call) with no appointment needed, you walk in and then just wait to get seen.  Kinda like the ER, but this is for non-emergency stuff.  Anyway, doc had me go to this place and that place and I had some tests done, blood taken, and so forth...and they think I may have an ulcer, sheesh.  I have been on an arthritis med for a number of years and doc said over time this could potentially cause stomach issues.   However, because of my medical history, he wants to get a "closer" look inside, so tomorrow I have the fun of going through an upper G.I., oh yay.  At least it is outpatient, so I will be home by tomorrow afternoon.  I told him I had a 5K on Saturday.  He said he was not going to tell me NOT to run it  - my doc is a runner too, so understands we crazy runners, lol - but just see how I feel and if I felt pain when I ran, then just walk it.  Fun stuff.   One darn thing after another, I am sick of hospitals, no pun intended.  I must have one of the thickest medical files ever, lol.. birth defect, hand surgery,  knife wound, ear surgery, my cancer, foot surgery twice, 4 knee surgeries, double hernia surgery,  cyst in my left kidney, treated for an aneurism near my eye, spinal, knee,  and hip arthritis...my primary doc jokingly tells me since the military hospital is also a teaching hospital,  I need to be used as a 'living classroom lesson" for the students. 

Well, after my appointment, I was feeling better so I went on over to the military gym at Lackland Air Force Base for a run/walk.     I did a 'hill route" by running up and down all the pedestrian overpasses (there are 4 of them) that bridge the basic training side of the base to the "permanent party" side of the base.   I felt surprisingly good. Also, a funny thing happened because I keep forgetting that Thursday at Lackland is "family day", when families of the trainees who are graduating from Basic on Friday show up on Thursday.  They go to the Welcome Center and attend an orientation program given by  the military instructors who tell them about what will happen on Friday and how they meet up with their graduating person after the ceremony, and so forth.  The orientation is held on the outside tarmac of the Welcome Center, with all the visitors sitting in the bleachers surrounding the tarmac. The Welcome Center just happens to be right across from the gym, so on my way back to the gym, I always cut across the tarmac to finish my Lackland routes.  So here I am about to finish and I make a right running turn into the tarmac area - and here are all these folks sitting in the bleachers!   That is when it hit me:  Today is Thursday...family day!  Duhh....      Luckily, the instructors had not yet started their program so I did not interrupt anything, thank goodness.  So I just keep running across and in front of these folks trying to get out of there quick and since I am wearing one of my Cancer shirts, these folks see it...and start applauding!  Too funny!  So I said to myself, heck with it, and hammed it up a bit, stopped took a little bow, gave a wave and in my best (which is pretty bad) Elvis voice said "Thank you...thank you very much."    Got a nice laugh though - even the training instructors there were laughing - and more applause, and I was off again and out of there!  I ended up with a total of 4.5 miles and a bizarre little finish, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yeah, Hsm, those darn chocolate chips!  I can't eat chocolate chips, cuz I get more of them smeared on my face and hands than go into my mouth. Gail thinks it's funny, watching me eat chocolate chip cookies.   Good luck with your performance tonite!

Be safe on the road, Awood!   Try and enjoy the no email for now cuz when you get back you will probably have a ton of stuff in your inbox to go through!   Congrats on getting a run in.

Good luck with the 18 miles tomorrow, Jack!  Nice on the double!  Nice framed painting of your DD yesterday.  Hmm, I wonder if I sent SheCan the photo of me from my Bare Buns race if she could paint that.   Umm, maybe not...she'd probably end having the screaming mimi's and wanting to put her eyes out......   I invited her to do one of those races with me but she politely refused, go figure.

Sounds like a plan, Zelanie, listen to your body.  Good luck to your daughter!

Is that this weekend?  Good luck, Damaris, to you and hubby!  And take time to sight-see in Nashville a bit if you can, it''s a lovely little city.  Hilly...but lovely.

Virtual cookies hell, PAD, I want her to mail me the real thing!   Congrats on getting your miles done already.

Good luck with your race this weekend, sapf!

Happy NOBO class, Mitch. Yeah, make the class look bad, do an extra 2 more miles than they do.

Sorry about the sore ankle, Cherie, but glad your run went well in spite of it.  It is Texas bluebonnet season here, they are all over the place, in spite of the drought.   Like these down by part of the San Antonio Riverwalk...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Cherie, there is only expo registration, and I won't pay $150.

Anson, glad to hear your back is still improving.

Well gee, Mitch, I'm sure Damaris will pay it for you just so she can FE with you. 

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - have fun at your performance tonight.

Awood - are you out of town all week every week?  Or is this just a particularly busy time?  I'm glad your back is better.

Jack - hope your LR tomorrow goes well.

Z - if your body is telling you to rest, it's a good idea to listen.  When you don't, it gets more insistent.  At least, mine does.  This has ended up being a very low running week for me too, which feels weird, but necessary.

Damaris - good job getting in your run so early.  Have fun in Nashville.

PAD - nice interval work.

sapf - hope you like your haircut.  I'm not sure about mine, except that it's easy to take care of.

Mitch - have fun with your NOBO class.

Cherie - did Damaris give you her bad ankle?  I hope it's not contagious!  I love the desert in spring, though with as little rain as you've gotten, I'm surprised you have many flowers this year.

Baconista - hurray for getting your garden started.  We still have nights below freezing, so planting doesn't usually happen until mid-May.  Some years it's hard to wait.

Scotty - I'm sorry you're having more health issues.  I hope they are able to figure out what's going on quickly and get you fixed up soon.  Love the story of your performance for the parents.  They probably thought it was planned.

AFM:  Our overnight backpack went well.  The Appalachian Trail is only about 30-40 minutes from home, so we did a 14 mile loop out of the state park on park trails up to the AT, then back to the park on the AT. We knew there would be plenty of water and places to camp on the loop, since we've dayhiked the area often. Some of the route is rocky and steep, but mostly it's pretty easy sidehill or old woods road. A good one for first overnight trip of the season. The AT  was surprisingly busy for mid-week.  We saw a group of hammock hangers heading to some sort of gathering this weekend, and 7 hikers with backpacks today.  Ben behaved himself -- our cheap tent is still in one piece - but then we didn't have any visiting wildlife this time.

SheCan

Sorry you were feeling so poorly this morning, Scotty.  Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it, and its not an ulcer or anything worse.   I'm gonna hope that even YOU can just have a normal, ol boring stomach bug.  *crosses fingers*

LOL@ your run.  Of course you handled it with great applomb and pizzazz!  Beautiful flowers you have there!  We don't quite have that many wildflowers here, but I'll take what we get!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Went to my health club after work and did my usual strength machines, then ran 3 slow laps around the track.  Knee was a little achy, probably some rust.  Try some more tomorrow.

hog4life

Scotty, geesh, hope it's nothing too serious. I'm just about 2 hours from Nashville and have wanted to run this event for a while. My wife likes to visit there, so she said, hey let's go, but when I said $150, she said nevermind, lol.

Maybe I should just drive up and cheer Damaris and her and hubby on.

Philliefan33

Hey -- late check-in for me.  I did an uncomfortable 3.5 mile fartlek run.  Uncomfortable because I was overdressed and the poo monster bothered me for the last two miles. 

I won't be doing any running for the next two days, for a good reason.  Tomorrow we leave early in the morning to drive to Pittsburgh to attend DD's graduation ceremony in the afternoon.  Then of course we'll go out to dinner and celebrate.  Saturday we have to pack up the pickup truck with her furniture and whatever other worldly possessions she can't fit in her little SUV, then drive five hours home.  DD isn't coming home until Monday or Tuesday.

I guess this means that DH and I have done an okay job with the girls.  Both have BS degrees.  The oldest is in graduate school and teaching, and no longer on our payroll.  Hopefully our baby girl will pass the NCLEX this summer and get a nursing job soon.

on my way to badass

Hey Penguins!  Can't stay long.  Busy, busy.  Racing Saturday (10K for first time).  Last run was fairly awful so I am hoping for a good race;-/

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, good luck with the GI test tomorrow.

Fence, good luck on the first 10K.

Damaris, have fun in Nashville.  Going to the GOO?  We really liked it.  Should be an "interesting" night on Broadway.

Congrats to DD,  Margo.

Hope DD does well in STL, Zel.

GinnyinPA

Margo - congratulations to your daughter, and to you also.

StoneFence - good luck on your race Saturday.  I've never done a 10k.  They're pretty rare around here.