Beginners and Beyond

Any idea why my fingers go numb? (Read 48 times)

Little Blue

Recently I've noticed that after a run, most of my fingertips get numb for a little while.  And it's not right away.  I finished my run two hours ago, and I just noticed it in the last 30 minutes.  It's starting to go away now.

It isn't cold, 55 deg at the start of my run.  I don't clench my hands; rather I tend to hold them in sort of a "OK" gesture with my index finger hooked into the thumb and the rest of the fingers spread apart.  (The feeling of sweat between my fingers rather skeeves me out.)

I never noticed it in the warmer temps, but it doesn't seem cold enough yet to be causing it, and especially not an hour or two after my run.

Ideas?

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

55 seems a bit warm for Reynauds, unless it's raining.

Do you tense up your shoulders/neck when you run?  Could be a pinched nerve.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My Raynaud's will kick in even in the summer.  Mine is also worst after a run, not during.  Do your fingers get white while they are numb?  What happens if you run them under warm water and sort of massage the feeling back into them?

Running is dumb.

shu_runner

My Raynaud's will kick in even in the summer.  Mine is also worst after a run, not during.  Do your fingers get white while they are numb?  What happens if you run them under warm water and sort of massage the feeling back into them?

+1.  Year round.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

+1, same, fingers and toes get numb after running.  I believe it's blood flow getting diverted to the large muscle groups.

Also, I need thin gloves starting from low 40s.

oh hi Mandy!

tracilynn

I have it too. Pretty much 70° or under.  I wear gloves but still get it.

~~~~~~~

Traci

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

oh hi Mandy!

Hiya, Stranger!  Smile

Running is dumb.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

whazzup?!!  :beer:

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Definitely Reynaud's. 55 is when I have to start wearing gloves. And yes, it seems like a delayed reaction. It doesn't happen while I am running in the cold, but sometime later that morning. Varies how long, but enough time for me to eat breakfast. I seem to feel it about the time I loading my dishes into the dishwasher or thereabouts.

Numbness, whiteness, pain (yes, pain and numbness at the same time).

I have also learned to take gloves with me everywhere because even in warm weather, stores are too cold for my hands. Forget about sticking my hands into the refrigerated or freezer sections of the supermarket. I just can't do it without gloves because my body is already freezing and shivering.

Reynaud's sucks. It didn't start on me till I was in my late 40s, though, unlike Mandy and shu who are youngsters.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I have it too. Pretty much 70° or under.  I wear gloves but still get it.

I am starting to think the gloves don't make a difference. It's more related to your core temperature. Maybe.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Double post due to editing. I lose internet points.

Runner with a riding problem.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

If it's cold enough for a shirt, it's cold enough for gloves.  If it's cold enough for a jacket, it's cold enough for 2 pairs of gloves.  Mid 50's and lower I wear gloves. I get tingly, numb fingers and toes when I run,  even in the summer.

Runner with a riding problem.

Little Blue

Hmmm, well then.  I looked at the link that sapf posted, and if I have that, it's certainly minor.  What I get is a bit of tingling.  No cold, no turning white, no pain.  More like when your hand falls asleep, but generally only the fingertips.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.  Thanks for the the input!