Beginners and Beyond

Treadmill runs: how do you cope? (Read 74 times)

LRB

Running on the treadmill is similar to drinking alcohol.  The more you do it, the bigger your tolerance grows, and the more you can do it.  Once you stop for a while then start up again, the tolerance has faded and it becomes difficult again.

That is a unique analogy!

There was a period of four to six weeks last winter where I did not even think about it anymore because the sidewalks were completely impassable, so the treadmill was the only option during the week.  Well, the only feasible option I should say.

Like Dave, I managed to tough it out for all my outdoor weekend runs (except one) through that whole dreadful mother fuckin season which brought balance to my running and my weekday runs on the TM became apart of the routine.

Love the Half

Of course, the treadmill is how I got my damn stress fracture.  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I don't... Not really.

Only in the most rare of runs end up being on the Tmill. (3 times this year)

Docket_Rocket

Of course, the treadmill is how I got my damn stress fracture.  

I guess you were not coping?

Since I bought a TM, I find that I need it sometimes, especially after it gets to 99F and WTF dewpoint.  When I do run on the TM, I am watching a kick ass movie AND listening to music at the same time.  still, I'm so bored, it's good I don't have a gun near me or I would start shooting the TM and the inanimate objects around me just to have something to do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I don't have any tricks. All I know is that I absolutely cannot watch TV. For me, it takes away from the essence of what I'm doing. And after doing 6 months with music, I've returned to no music. I like the peace that comes to me while listening to the rhythm of my steps. Also, I need my full attention when I do intervals or strides. I'm pretty clumsy by nature and one wrong step could send me flying. So no diversion for me. I do break miles into segments, it helps mentally and I avoid running the same pace all the time, which we don't do when running outside.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I wouldn't mind the sounds of my steps if I could hear them.  Whenever I run without music all I hear is my lungs gurgling and gasping for air. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I wouldn't mind the sounds of my steps if I could hear them.

I can run to my feet while outside but not while on the treadmill.  I am just one of those people who need lots of mental stimulation while running whether internal or external.

It is one of the reasons I do well running in public with all the hustle and bustle that is city life as there are not many dull moments.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I cope by avoiding the TM altogether. If it's so cold or hot that running outside is not an option for me, I'll take an unscheduled rest day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

I cope by avoiding the TM altogether. If it's so cold or hot that running outside is not an option for me, I'll take an unscheduled rest day.

LOL.  That would be 300 unscheduled rest days, no?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

LOL.  That would be 300 unscheduled rest days, no?

Why do you think I haven't retired fully and moved to FL or AZ... or ND.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Why do you think I haven't retired fully and moved to FL or AZ... or ND.

Haha.  Touche!  I should've selected another state when moving out of PR. 

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I have a TV in front of my TM, and I don't mind running on it for runs up to about 90 minutes.  After that it becomes a chore - but then so do outdoor runs.  I like having climate control, food, fluids and bathrooms in close proximity.