Beginners and Beyond

Receptionist Day Wednesday Penguins (Read 20 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sapf have you run in Prospect Park before? Much easier than Central Park! One pretty big hill but that's it. And the whole back half is slightly downhill on Ocean Ave. If you can do a half in Central Park (which ones by the way did you do?) You will be just fine!

SRD today.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Chocolate chips, receptionists and dancing like a chicken - strange combination.  I wouldn't mind a choc. chip cookie right now, but all I have in the cupboard are oatmeal raisin, and they're being saved for our next backpack. Oh well.

Obiebyke - enjoy your run this evening.  I thought you were up to 30 minutes straight?

Jerry - have a good run tonight.

PAD - have fun at the gym.  Or is that even possible amidst the torture machines?

Margo - apple and avocado sound pretty good.

Z - have a good run tonight while your daughter's busy.

HM - I'm glad you got your walk in yesterday.  Have fun with the yoga tonight.

sapf - good luck with the race on Saturday.  Looks like it will be cool for you, at least.

Stonefence - hope you get your run in tonight.

Jack - I hope it cools down for you soon.  Are you getting any smoke from fires where you live?  Seems like this is a great time to be tapering.

AFM:  Cool and damp here.  I'm about to go outside and mow the lawn.  If there's any energy left, I'll do a recovery run.  Yesterday's tempo run was good, but wearing.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  Spent all morning in court and now attending a live meeting.  Bah.  Run or not, that is the question.  We'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Sapf have you run in Prospect Park before? Much easier than Central Park! One pretty big hill but that's it. And the whole back half is slightly downhill on Ocean Ave. If you can do a half in Central Park (which ones by the way did you do?) You will be just fine!

SRD today.

I did the frozen bonsai HM and the more/fitness women's half.  I did the frozen bonsai in 2:20:40 (I felt well trained and was at a decent weight and it was my first HM).  Then I had back issues and gained way too much weight over the winter.  I did women's half in 2:33:41 on very little training.  I was extremely surprised that I managed that - I was hoping for anything under a 12 minute pace so I was pretty happy with it.  I have no idea where I'll wind up in the Brooklyn half.  If I have an absolutely amazing day a PR is possible?  I'd be happy with anything under 2:30 though.

My three was tiring today.  The pollen count is high and it is killing me.  It might be time to start carrying the inhaler.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

obiebyke

Nope, not quite! I'm on week 7. Next Saturday will be my 30 minute run.

Obiebyke - enjoy your run this evening.  I thought you were up to 30 minutes straight?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I did the frozen bonsai HM and the more/fitness women's half.  I did the frozen bonsai in 2:20:40 (I felt well trained and was at a decent weight and it was my first HM).  Then I had back issues and gained way too much weight over the winter.  I did women's half in 2:33:41 on very little training.  I was extremely surprised that I managed that - I was hoping for anything under a 12 minute pace so I was pretty happy with it.  I have no idea where I'll wind up in the Brooklyn half.  If I have an absolutely amazing day a PR is possible?  I'd be happy with anything under 2:30 though.

My three was tiring today.  The pollen count is high and it is killing me.  It might be time to start carrying the inhaler.

I also did Frozen Bonsai Smile

I am aiming at about 2:30 for Brooklyn. My PR is 2:20:16 but I am running this as a supported long run at long run pace and not trying for a PR. I just started a new plan that has me doing 12-14 mile long runs every weekend so I am doing a few HMs (if I am gonna run that long might as well get a medal for it!). My long runs are generally between 11:30 and 11:45 so I think I could do 2:30 without hurting training. Maybe see you there!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Hey all! So after 9 month of my wife being pregnant and2 weeks of being home with her after the baby I realized I have some weight to lose so I'm back to MFP. Looking to get back under 200 and try for a 5k PR.

Lastnight I did 400m intervals at 6:35m/m with 400m rest and a 1 mile warm up/cool down for a total of 4.5 miles. Run felt great but my glutes really feel it this morning. Lol.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crazy couple of days just since yesterday.   After work yesterday I went to one of my YMCA's and did a run/walk in the neighborhood across from it.  This is one of my hill routes.  This neighborhood has 5 streets, all hills, that go across the whole subdivision.  I started on the first street (downhill), turned at the bottom, went to the next street (uphill), turned at the top, went to the next street (downhill), etc., etc. working my way across the neighborhood and then after the last street, worked my way back again.  So  nearly 4 miles of hill work in this subdivision.  Tough workout but satisfying, as I ran pretty well.  Also, about halfway down I got caught in a short-lasting (about 10 minutes) but POURING rain.  A few hours after getting home, in spite of taking a nice hot shower at the Y right after my run, I started getting chills, shakes, etc.  I am assuming this was because we've had a 'cold front' come in this week - it was only 61 when I ran yesterday after work - and the rain probably didn't help my last miles with me running wet and a pretty good breeze blowing.

I e-mailed my doc (with my medical history, have to report any potential health issues) went to bed early last night, wrapped myself up really good and ended up sweating through most of the night.  The sheets on my side of the bed were soaked...Gail was like 'ewwwww''....   Felt somewhat better this morning but had a message from my doc to come in anyway.  Turns out I am having a bit of an ENT (ear-nose-throat) issue and my throat was a bit inflamed.  As my doc gave me some meds for it, I asked her if I could go run this morning and sweat some more out.  She gave me SUCH a look...and then laughed saying "all runners are crazy" (she treats quite a few, working at a military clinic) and told me my lungs were clear so I could run without hazard, but just take it easy, no hard running - umm, at MY pact when do I EVER run hard, lol -  and if I did run, then go right home after that and relax the rest of the day.  So after my appointment I went to the gym at Fort Sam Houston and did my "Dog Alley Route" - guaranteeing a very easy outing since on this run I stop quite a bit along the way to give my doggie pals treats.   The weather here this week is beautiful and for my run/walk it was sunny, a nice 59 degrees - even at 9 a.m. when I went - and a wind of about 10 - 15 mph blowing, which actually felt quite refreshing.  And actually, I felt GREAT the whole way - maybe it was the drugs Doc gave me  -  and ended up with 3.3 miles.   Then I showered, came home, and followed my doc's orders to rest by taking a nap for about 3 hours, nice.  Feel pretty good now, so back to work tomorrow as normal.  Gail and I may go to the Y today after she gets home from work and do a very easy-going strength training circuit.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

obiebyke, how do you spend hundreds of dollars at the DMV?  Were you bribing someone to get your license back?    Oh, I see...I didn't read far enough down...dang..still expensive.

Jerry, if it's Dance Like  A Chicken Day, then I'm in!  That's the only way I know how to dance, lol.  It ain't pretty when I dance.    Dang...$200 for license plates, really?  Glad I live in Texas!

Enjoy  your gym workout, PAD.

Phillie, avocados are for throwing, not eating.  They make a nice 'splat' when they hit something.  Hope your miles go well!

Happy (is this even possible?) track miles, Zelanie!  How you have the patience to run around a track...

HsM, what is office yoga?  You do poses on your desks and chairs?  Have fun!

Take a deep breath, sapf..you will be just fine for your HM, I bet you do great.  Pre-race jitters is normal.  Hell, I don't even RACE, yet I still get the jitters just before the events that I do, and I've been running 31 years now - yeah, my 31st runniversary was April 15th of this year - you'd think I'd be over it by now, but nope.  You are normal, believe me.   Sorry about the teenage boys cat-calls...idiots...and also teenage boy, which is another 2 words meaning idiot........don't let THEIR rudeness spoil YOUR day.

Hope you can get your 3 in, StoneFence..

You got our Texas summer weather early, Jack!   Good luck with that!  Come visit San Antonio this week, we are only in the low 80s all this week for our highs.  My temp for start time for my 5K this weekend:  58 degrees!   Bet Damaris would love these temps!    Well, Jack, for some reason the San Antonio job market is BOOMING - and we don't have any state tax here, either.   However, our temps are similar to what you have there.  We do have very mild winters though.

Happy SRD, Kristin!

Hope your lawn-mowing went okay, Ginny. You can mow your lawn when it's damp?

Well, Damaris, if you were attending a dead meeting, that would probably be worrisome.....enjoy your miles later today....or your non-miles.

Jimmy, what is MFP? Manage Fat Paunch?   Good luck with that!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2 @ 10:20.  Fastest since the shot.  Back to long sleeves and tight shorts, and hat, but it was pretty comfortable except when running into the wind.  Good start to the weekend.  Not much on the schedule except going downtown to see Sound of Music tomorrow.

Enjoy the gym, PAD

Sounds like a healthy diet, Phil.

Enjoy the chocolate chips, Zel.

Hope the knee is better HsM.

sapf, was Scotty in that group?  We would love to run  a HM in NYC.

Have a nice run, Fence.

Enjoy the cool run, Jack.  Sounds like a good excuse for a nice cold Pranqster.

Have a nice SRD Kristin.

Ginny, maybe you can run with the mower.

Running Docket?

Jimmy, you had time to eat with a new baby and recovering mom in the house???

Funny how a run/nap can make you feel better.  Take care Scotty.  BTW, that's the least of our taxes in the State of ILL.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

2 @ 10:20.  Fastest since the shot.  Back to long sleeves and tight shorts, and hat, but it was pretty comfortable except when running into the wind.  Good start to the weekend.  Not much on the schedule except going downtown to see Sound of Music tomorrow.

Enjoy the gym, PAD

Sounds like a healthy diet, Phil.

Enjoy the chocolate chips, Zel.

Hope the knee is better HsM.

sapf, was Scotty in that group?

Have a nice run, Fence.

Enjoy the cool run, Jack.  Sounds like a good excuse for a nice cold Pranqster.

lol, Jerry.  No, I don't cat-call...I just chase the Great Legs...and only very politely, of course!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Chocolate chips, receptionists and dancing like a chicken - strange combination.  I wouldn't mind a choc. chip cookie right now, but all I have in the cupboard are oatmeal raisin, and they're being saved for our next backpack. Oh well.

Jerry - have a good run tonight.

PAD - have fun at the gym.  Or is that even possible amidst the torture machines?

Margo - apple and avocado sound pretty good.

Z - have a good run tonight while your daughter's busy.

HM - I'm glad you got your walk in yesterday.  Have fun with the yoga tonight.

sapf - good luck with the race on Saturday.  Looks like it will be cool for you, at least.

Stonefence - hope you get your run in tonight.

Jack - I hope it cools down for you soon.  Are you getting any smoke from fires where you live?  Seems like this is a great time to be tapering.

AFM:  Cool and damp here.  I'm about to go outside and mow the lawn.  If there's any energy left, I'll do a recovery run.  Yesterday's tempo run was good, but wearing.

Here is a receptionist doing a Chicken Dance...and I bet she has chocolate chip cookies in her bag... 

on my way to badass

Got my 3 done. SAPF- Your jitters sound normal. Good luck in your race!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28