Beginners and Beyond

Coke Addict dies of Cardiac Arrhythmia (Read 134 times)

Mostly harmless

You mean too much Coke is bad for you?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Trail Monster

My DH has been slowly weaning himself off Pepsi. Thanks for sharing this! I think it helped his conviction about giving it up.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Mostly harmless

"Harris's family told the inquest she had all her teeth removed after they went rotten due to excessive soft drink consumption and at least one of her children was born with no enamel on its teeth."

This is what we call in the detective business a "clue". When you have to have ALL OF YOUR TEETH REMOVED perhaps you aren't making the best dietary choices.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

notimeforthat

She had other issues and if I am a betting gal, she was probably staring down a lot of co-morbidities due to drinking 2.5 GALLONS a day of coke, not just an arrythmia.

Everyone has to go somehow...might as well enjoy it with a Coke and a smile. Wink

notimeforthat

She had other issues and if I am a betting gal, she was probably staring down a lot of co-morbidities due to drinking 2.5 GALLONS a day of coke, not just an arrythmia.

Everyone has to go somehow...might as well enjoy it with a Coke and a smile. Wink

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

...definitely thought you meany a different type of coke. And was wondering why this was news, lol, because cokeheads die of heart issues all the time.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hugsy

"... at least one of her children was born with no enamel on its teeth."

Huh? Born with teeth?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

She should have just snorted the coke, she wouldn't have been able to ingest as much at a time.

Seriously, though, that is terrible, and I really feel for her family, that is an awful way to lose someone, and it was so preventable too, which just makes it sadder.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I smell a law suit coming on.

Mostly harmless

I smell a law suit coming on.

It's a little comforting to know that shirking personal responsibility isn't purely an American phenomenon.

GC100k

Every time a well-known runner dies (Micah True, Jim Fixx) we ignore those who claim running is bad for you, even when studies show that there are levels where running causes more harm than good.  I personally know four people who died while running.  I know no one who died from drinking too much Coke.  In fact, that's why it's news: because it's so odd and rare.

So I'm not going to get too smug about the stupid Coke drinkers killing themselves.

Trail Monster

Every time a well-known runner dies (Micah True, Jim Fixx) we ignore those who claim running is bad for you, even when studies show that there are levels where running causes more harm than good.  I personally know four people who died while running.  I know no one who died from drinking too much Coke.  In fact, that's why it's news: because it's so odd and rare.

So I'm not going to get too smug about the stupid Coke drinkers killing themselves.

Actually there are studies that show running too much has diminishing returns, not that it is bad for you. Left ventricular hypertrophy (aka athletes heart syndrome) is only dangerous when it masks another condition such as an arrhythmia or undiagnosed/uncontrolled high blood pressure or high cholesterol which is probably related to the person's diet and genetics and not their amount of running/exercise. Every article/study published saying running too much will kill you has come from the same group of 'scientists' who take partial statements from legitimate studies and twist them to their purpose. Unless you let dehydration, electrolyte imbalance or some other problem occur there is no way to die from running in an otherwise healthy athlete.

here's the link I was searching for: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/too-much-running-myth-rises-again

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop