Beginners and Beyond

Motoactv bite the dust Monday Penguins.. (Read 34 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

DW and I did our 10k today and I ran a 42:17 which is a 6:48 average pace. DW ran a 50:17. I will do a little RR later.

Congrats to the other racers.

SheCan

Morning penguins friends!

Docket-- great job on the 14!

Jerry-- glad you're getting your miles again!

t-rod-- congratulations on the 3rd place AG!  Wow@your friend's fishing win!  $5000 is quite the windfall.

jimmy-- will look for your RR soon.

kristin--ahhh, so nice that you got a run in with your Dad, and even cooler that he's now running also!

awood-- sounds like an awesome run!  You're lucky to have found a new running buddy.

zelanie-- hang in there.  Glad you're still getting some miles in.  As fantastic as you were progressing this must be just so frustrating.

Ginny-- at least you got some cross training in.   I wish i were even a fraction of as good as maintaining my yard as you are.

Scotty-- I need to look for your RR.  I didnt realize you went ahead and did a race this weekend.  Sounds like your stomach/abdomen must be less painful?  Its really too bad San Antonio can't share it's rain with some of the dryer parts of your state.  Sad  @ the young man drowning.  How very sad.

I was planning on 14, but ended up stopping short ---about 13.5.  I just got too warm.  As soon as I got home I zipped straight to the pool without even changing to stick my legs in.  I thought what the heck, and waded out in my shorts.  I'm hoping the chlorine doesn't ruin them.  Going to a BBQ with friends shortly.  Hope everyone else has a great Memorial Day also!

EDIT-- Jack--- congrats on your 10k!  That is smoking fast!   Sorry, I love ya man, but you're not a penguin to me anymore Joking  okay, just kidding, but that's super good, and great time for your wife also!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Jeez, Jack, we are going to have to get you and D2 to race your next 10K together!

Ginny- Enjoy the RD!

Scotty- Glad you're safe!  I was a bit worried until I saw the RR go up.

Cherie- The pool sounds like a nice way to cool off!  I bet if you rinse your clothes out they will be fine.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

These are photos of Brackenridge Park, one of my favorite local San Antonio parks to run in.  With all the rain we've had over the last few days, these photos show some of the high-water areas in the park.  I ran in this park this morning...and had to make a lot of detours!

This picnic area is usually dry

This bird has a new water perch

Normally, you can run/walk on this sidewalk the whole length of the park.  Part if it is now underwater

This picnic table will be an 'island picnic area" till the water lowers

I normally can run over this footbridge to get to the other side of the park.

There is a road somewhere under all this water, used by traffic to get from one side of the park to the other when the water is at normal levels.

The other side of the park where the road comes out.  This park bench is usually in a dry area, providing a nice view of the river.

Usually you can see all of this metal structure in the water.

Another flooded-out picnic area.  This one is by Kohler Pavilion, for those familiar with the park.

Fast moving water going past the tree and yet another isolated picnic table

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

They happen less now but for some reason when my stomach acts up (reflux), I get one too.  Last bad one was on the day I ran a race for Jenny and that was February, so it has not happen as often as before.

Bin - I'm sorry the Motoactive failed, but at least they're giving you a refund.  My husband ended up with similar problems on an altimeter watch once.  The buttons kept breaking off, so he'd replace it, for free.  Eventually they stopped making that model.

Damaris - sorry about the migraine.  Do they happen often?  Good job getting in a long run anyway.  You are a tough lady.

Tomas - that's a good time for a hot humid day.  Third in age group too!  That's great.  How far was your sister's part of the relay?

Jerry - it's good that you're getting your mileage up again, but don't you start tapering soon?

Jimmy - I'm glad you had a good time at the 10k.  Looking forward to the RR.

Kristin - were you the inspiration for your dad starting to run?  I'm glad you're feeling better.  You have time to race a 10k and recover before your HM training gets too serious.  But you'll need to increase the miles a bit first, I think.

Zelanie - it looks like you're about ready to increase mileage a bit.  I hope the PT agrees.

Awood - That sounds like a good run.  The only time I've run with anybody was in a race, and that was more a matter of passing or being passed.

AFM:  After walking the dog and mowing the lawn, I think I'm done for the day.  I thought I'd do a short run outside, but I'm really not in the mood to tackle the hills today.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Jack, great job to both!

Damaris

SheCan

Oh my, Scotty!  Those pictures are crazy bad.  I so hope there's not more casualties.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - That's pretty crazy.  We have a park that floods at least once per year, but it's an island that's below the damn.  We kind of expect it.

I just finished dinner.  We had a bunch of rolls left over from the wedding reception.  So, I grilled up some tiny burgers and made sliders with some veggie kabobs.  Then, I grilled some bananas with brown sugar and cinnamon for dessert.  Not a bad way to finish the long weekend.  Unfortunately, it was raining, but who cares?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Tomas - that's a good time for a hot humid day.  Third in age group too!  That's great.  How far was your sister's part of the relay?

I think she ran about 30 miles. 25 of it or so carrying a USA flag. Her mileage was broke up over 4 legs I think. And she always had people to run with.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Bin Running

Smoking fast, Jack.... Looking fwd to RR..

Scotty, that's some serious flooding.. Hope everyone is fine..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

Bin - according to the news, at least three people died in the floods.  Not surprising really.

Cherie - I wish I had a good garden.  I have a fine crop of weeds taking over the lawn, which need to be mowed often, and I finally planted some tomatoes and a few flowers last week, but it has been too cold this spring to feel inspired to do a lot in the garden, especially since I'm hoping we can do some traveling this summer.  Usually what happens is the tomatoes and the gladiolas bloom en masse just when we're heading out for a month or so. We tell the neighbors to take what they want, but they rarely do.

Bin Running

Oh.. sorry to hear that... Hope no more casualties..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar