Beginners and Beyond

Galloway plans (Read 86 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

It really does.

Like StartingOver42 said, not everyone is after AG wins, etc.  I know that leads us to a "people aren't racing races" debate, but thankfully, there's enough room for everyone to do their thing at races and be happy.

This is the 2nd time you've agreed with me.  You better watch out or people will start talking.

You people have issues 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I guess it depends on how one defines success.

The simplest definition in this context would be meeting one's goal. For many using Galloway the goal is finishing the race under the cutoff time.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

The simplest definition in this context would be meeting one's goal. For many using Galloway the goal is finishing the race under the cutoff time.

For some, that is definitely success.

You people have issues 

slowrunningjulie

Whether the time is a BQ is basically irrelevant. There's a huge difference between being an open male and needing a 3:05 to BQ and being a 50 year old female and needing a 4:00 to BQ. Galloway might work fine for that 4:00 BQ but be a tough way to get that 3:05.

She is a 42 year old female and her qualifying time was 3:41.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Hip Redux

This is the 2nd time you've agreed with me.  You better watch out or people will start talking.

I feel... dirty.

Love the Half

When did I say anything about winning your age group?  I'm not remotely close to competitive in my age group in larger races.  For example, in the Indianapolis Mini Marathon, I could crack the top 10 in my age group most years but I'm well away from top 3.  Nor do I run every race as a test to see how far I can go into the pain cave.  I stopped at every mile marker in Boston and took a picture.  I danced to Donna Summer with some woman, kissed a few girls at Wellesley and drank a couple of beers along the route.  Ironically, I still BQ'd.

What I don't understand is entering races when you barely have the fitness to stagger across the line in under the cutoff time.  There are plenty of races out there that I could finish with a minimal amount of specific training.  Heck, I ran 50 miles on my 50th birthday.  I think I had a couple of 20 mile runs, a 25 mile run and a 30 mile run in the six weeks or so leading up to that event and my mileage was only in the 70 mpw range.  Really, I was just prepared to finish rather than race but it wasn't a race in the first place.

At a minimum, for any race less than a 100 miler, most people should at least be fit enough to run the entire distance.  If you are out of shape enough that you can't run it, then perhaps you should consider a race that better suits your fitness level.  I recognize there are exceptions - especially for older runners, for heavier runners, or for folks who are simply low training responders.  I also recognize that some trail courses are tough enough that everyone walks on the hills.  Still, the only reason I can see to enter a race when you lack the fitness to run the entire distance is so you can tell your non-running friends, "I'M A MARATHONER!!!!!!!!"  Then, you can get a bunch of people to say, "YOU ROCK YOU MARATHONER YOU!!!!!!!"  Then, you get to say, "I JUST SIGNED UP AGAIN!!!!!!!!  AM I INSANE OR WHAT?!?!?!?!"

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

When did I say anything about winning your age group?  I'm not remotely close to competitive in my age group in larger races.  For example, in the Indianapolis Mini Marathon, I could crack the top 10 in my age group most years but I'm well away from top 3.  Nor do I run every race as a test to see how far I can go into the pain cave.  I stopped at every mile marker in Boston and took a picture.  I danced to Donna Summer with some woman, kissed a few girls at Wellesley and drank a couple of beers along the route.  Ironically, I still BQ'd.

LOL, Only you would talk about "only" being in the top 10 of the biggest half marathon in the country and BQing without really trying as an example of not being competitive. Classic LTH. I'm in awe of your ability to downplay your running, while still making to sure let us know how super awesome you are. You re the king of the humblebrag. 

It's all good, my only point is that there are other philosophies of running and racing that are legitimate besides yours.

Docket_Rocket

Too late for that!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

LOL, Only you would talk about "only" being in the top 10 of the biggest half marathon in the country and BQing without really trying as an example of not being competitive. Classic LTH. I'm in awe of your ability to downplay your running, while still making to sure let us know how super awesome you are. You re the king of the humblebrag. 

It's all good, my only point is that there are other philosophies of running and racing that are legitimate besides yours.

King of the humblebrag... LOL... Can I be the Queen?  (except that I'm half the runner that LTH is, so that may be a little problem there )

As for Galloway, a woman once humiliated me by two minutes by doing that run/walk thingamajig. I thought she looked ridiculous with her constant stops to walk, and her 10 bottles around her waist. But she finished in 3:38, damn Gallowalker... Now I just mind my own business and try not to pass judgement on what appears different. You just never know...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I picked the Indy Mini just because I've run it a few times.  Pick any decent size half marathon and I'm confident I wouldn't win my age group and in many I wouldn't be in the top three.  I recognize precisely what my times indicate.  I'm a good local runner who is marginally competitive regionally and not remotely competitive nationally.  What I don't do is accept what I am now as my reality forever.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).