Beginners and Beyond

To cold weather peeps - Glove recommendations? (Read 70 times)

I have a pair of regular thin tech material running gloves. Below a certain temp I wear an extra pair on top, which typically are shed after a few miles, depending on conditions. I currently use a pair of plain fleece gloves on top. They pretty much get the job done in terms of warmth & fitting well over my running gloves, but they are also my regular daily gloves, so looking to get some dedicated running ones. I could get another pair of the same, but thinking I should lean towards a more water/wind-proof material. Any suggestions?

Dave

Lots of good ones out there but honestly, for me, mittens >> gloves.

Especially this winter in MN. Once the temps dip below 20 I really need to keep my hands warm. I loathe cold hands. And mittens do the trick far better than gloves. Here is what I have:

Craft Mittens

I'll usually get by with cheap throwaway-type gloves down to 40 degrees. From 20-40 degrees I have a pair of nicer, insulated running gloves (they are Asics brand - I got them on closeout a couple years ago). Below 20 the mittens come out. Smile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I've been struggling with cold hands this year, but have done much better since I paired Mizuno Breath Thermodynamic Knit gloves with a weatherproof mitten (for me, an Asics all-weather, I believe Thermopolis).

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Gator eye

Cheap jersey gloves with mittens over top. I wear the jersey gloves underneath because my hands sweat the first few miles and then get cold after as the run progresses, if I wear thin gloves I can pull them off after a couple of miles and still have warm dry mittens to get me the distance.

I have Raynauds and it can be very painful in these cold temps.  My solution- I heat up hand warmers (made of flax seed) for 1 minute in the microwave, put them in a pair of wool mittens, go run!  I have been doing it since Christmas and it works!  I usually have to take off the mittens by mile 2.  Sometimes I put them back on (-18 degree days) for a bit.  I have not had one instance of painful white hands since doing this.

Yes to wool mittens.  Beth suggested them a while back and they are awesome -- warm and breathable.

Ski gloves are warmish but get damp way too fast and stay damp.

I wear a cheapo pair of "work gloves" (the loose fabric kind like pictured below) under heavy mittens -- warm dry hands even in polar vortex conditions.

work gloves

RSX

You have had some good suggestions. The only thing I can add is that sometimes I wear 2 pairs of gloves. Other times I wear 1 but carry a 2nd pair in case. I have switched gloves a few times on my runs, but I always have pockets.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Normally a pair of cotton or wool glove liners is fine.

However on particularly cold runs , under 30 and add some windchill, I actually have started using these.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/realtree-men-s-hot-shot-fox-hunting-gloves/pid-905157?N=4294940663+596279919

As long as you can stomach the camo, they work fine...  too fine actually.  I end up stripping them off as I run because of hand sweat.

RabbitChaser

I have two pair of the mizuno breath thermo knit gloves. I can get by with one pair for temps down to about 10F or windchills in low single digits. Anytime the feels'like temp is in the negative, I put the second pair over the top. My fingers are usually cold for about a mile, then warm-up and I'm fine.

Just B.S.

Running gloves under double layer wool mittens for the coldest days.

I have Reynaud's and even on the coldest days this combo gets me back home

with sensation in my fingers mostly intact Smile

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

http://www.amazon.com/Manzella-Hatchback-Mitt-glv-O128M-HIY/dp/B002VNA2W0/ref=sr_1_8?s=athletic-clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1390419473&sr=1-8&keywords=manzella+gloves

I wear gloves if its below 50.  These get me down to about 20. Colder than that and I add a thin liner.  The thin pullout windflap does wonders.

Runner with a riding problem.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Socks on the hands. Better than mittens cause your thumb isn't hanging out there by itself.

Reynaud's is killer.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

LRB

I settled on this pair from Gordini (link), which has a zippered compartment on each glove for hand warmers.

I wear them when the temps dip below 35 degrees down to 25.  For temps of 20-25, I wear a pair of knit gloves underneath.  For 15-20, I will add hand warmers with the two pair of gloves.  For 10-15 I put hand warmers in each palm.

I have not tried them using my fleece pair of gloves as liners but could probably do that and skip the hand warmers on some days.

That combination has worked like a charm for me this year.  Yes, there are variables such as high winds, wind chill, amount of time spent outside etc. that can change the comfort level but for the most part, I have completely eliminated the three year problem I had with ice block frozen hands.

They set me back $47 at Dunham's but were worth every penny!

Incidentally, Dunham's has like 50 pair of gloves in most stores.  You can try them all on which makes your purchase less of a crap shoot.

Birdwell

I wear a cheapo pair of "work gloves" (the loose fabric kind like pictured below) under heavy mittens -- warm dry hands even in polar vortex conditions.

work gloves

This, but in black. I may have a higher tolerance for cold than others, but this style PLUS a layer of Bag Balm (or vaseline) get's me by in temps down to -20, for multiple hours, without any issues. I think the layer or Bag Balm helps the most, it's a really good insulator against the wind.

Of course our cold out here in Utah may be different than what's experienced in the midwest and east. It's usually very cold (0 to -20 for lows) and windy (15+mph), but sunny. The sun being out makes all the difference in the world.