Beginners and Beyond

Update and "runniversary" (Read 80 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So I decided that today I would "celebrate" my 2 year "runniversary." I don't actually  know the exact date. I know it was the first or second week in August. My first 5K was October 13th, 2012 and I started somewhere around 2 months before the race. But I got a coupon from Road Runner Sports today wishing me a happy anniversary as a VIP. I know I joined RRS VIP program to get free shipping and 20% off my very first order of "running stuff" right after I started training so we are calling my "runniversary" today. I am watching The Spirit of the Marathon II for the first time, and thinking of you guys so I thought I would drop in and say hello.

Did I fall off the planet these past couple months? Kind of, yes. The running planet at least. I had a really really tough half marathon on June 1st. I had major stomach problems, it was really hot, and I was just so so slow and it kind of killed my spirits a little. Hoping for a boost from the Baltimore 10 Miler on June 14th I went into it with a good attitude but experienced a similar result, and I finished almost 15 minutes slower than I had last year. After that race, I just needed a break. I don't know if it was burnout, just hating the heat, just being really disheartened by 3 terrible races in a row (2 weeks before the June 1st HM I had a 10K where I badly missed a goal that I was dying to get) but I just needed to stop training for a little. I have been running here and there, but no time goals, no training plan, no races (except the Giants 5K that I did with my dad for the 2nd year in a row). Mostly I have been running like 8 miles a week, 2-3 short runs (5 miles max per run), sometimes without a Garmin, and mostly with a slower friend who is just starting out. I just needed to have fun for a bit.

But..... I have a half September 14th (that crept up fast!) so I am really trying to get back at it again!

And that's what I've been up to. What'd I miss around here? I really haven't been on the board this whole summer.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Congrats on your 2nd year runniversary and I'm sure your dad appreciated you running the Giants 5K again with him.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Love the Half

I was talking to someone about this recently and I told him that I think everyone needs a break on occasion.  Very few people can be in training mode all the time.  I sure can't.  I routinely go through periods of a few months where I don't do any "training" to speak of and just run however the hell I feel like running.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Happy Runniversary!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Happy runniversary, Kristin..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

on my way to badass

Happy runniversary! We all need a break sometimes. I'm seriously thinking that racing in the Summer is not a good idea for me. At the slightest hint of heat, humidity or even sun, I get discouraged and perceived effort spikes.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

Happy Runniversary! K

Zelanie

Happy runniversry, Kristin!  Hope you've enjoyed your break and are ready to enjoy running again!

delicate flower

Hi Kristin!  Good luck finding your mojo again.

<3

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Heya Kristen.

I thought about you this weekend on my long run, ruminating about the forums and who is not posting anymore.  Kinda miss your happy thoughts.  As said above, we all need a break, life is often about managing challenges rather than doing what we want when we want.

Think of it this way.  You have gained fitness, running has extended your life, and in general made you a better person.  Screw the time goals.  Go out and run the September half for fun.  Look around at the sights, take in the other runners, many of whom were probably at the time and place you were 18 months ago.  Finish and realize that your body can run 13.1 miles, something that 90% of the general population cannot.  You inspired your Dad to run and that has helped him.  There are many positives to fall back on, so be happy with your low mileage and soon enough your mojo will come back.

Hi Kristin!

Don't be a stranger, and let us know how your half goes.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks everyone! I am feeling good and got some unseasonably cool days this week for some nice running!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Yeah me distance, heat and running do not get along at all.  You learned a tough lesson, now keep that in mind the next time the urge to race longer than a 5k hits you during the summer months.

Glad to see you are still at it!

GinnyinPA

Hi Kristin.  I was just wondering where you had disappeared to.  I hope your running becomes more enjoyable.