Beginners and Beyond

Reigniting a Love Affair (Yes, it is running related) (Read 185 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I like the calculator I use better.

F47 - 3:27:45 marathon -> AG 3:01:43

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I like the calculator I use better.

F47 - 3:27:45 marathon -> AG 3:01:43

And I love George too. Big grin

Actually, I only argue with people whom I respect. It's because I care about you that I want to make you see the light. :-) (teasing, I do agree with live and let live...)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

My primary preference is to run outside in about 32 to 38 degrees F.  Failing that, *I* just like to run outside.  Period.

I could list a dozen reasons why but that has nothing to do with anything, so I will spare everyone all of that drivel.

Suffice it to say that for me, the treadmill is like that trusty old 4 inch wide paintbrush when I cannot find my roller; not how I would prefer to do it, but will get the job done nevertheless.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

But the age/gender equivalencies calculator on marathonguide.com puts my PR time as a 3:04:09 for a 49 yo man (which is the age when Brad ran his 3:08, I believe). Yes, I keep track of important data like this. Big grin

I sure hope you don't go out and run a 3:24:37 in Ottawa then!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

I'm planning on using a TM for the first time this coming winter.

Running in the pitch dark, in snow squalls, when it's under 15 degrees borders on stupid.  And I can't hit my paces in that.

Hip Redux

Why do we debate the TM all the time?  No one ever changes their mind.  lol     If you don't like it, don't use it.    If you want to, do it.   Meh.

Anyway, I like interval workouts.  I find they are more mentally engaging then easy/long runs.  And they are incredibly challenging.   Unfortunately, I'm being cautious and not currently incorporating any into my workouts at this point because of my relapsing injury issues.

(Is that so on topic that it's now off topic in this thread? Possibly.)

MrNamtor

You really have to figure out, I think, whether the benefit of getting acclimated to the cold or running in snow or storms is worth the loss in fitness you get from being able to run only fewer miles or the quality of your runs or workouts being diminished because of the energy needed to deal with the elements.

The other thing is that everything else being equal, for those of us who live in seasonal climates, we are often training in summer heat for cool weather autumn events, or in the cold of winter for springtime races. So even the benefits of getting used to temperature and weather may be unimportant.