Beginners and Beyond

Too "fat" for a massage? (Read 251 times)

Better I Leave

Methinks some folks don't understand what it feels like to be obese. As a former "fattie" I have much respect for the woman. I'm with Kay.

6'3" and 250 pounds? That must have been an über-crappy massage table. I barely clear 5'2" and weight approximately 130 pounds. If I were just a bit taller and my weight were to increase relative to my height, I'd break the thing just by looking at it.

flarunner

I wouldn't call that an 'athletic build', I would call that fat.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Methinks some folks don't understand what it feels like to be obese. As a former "fattie" I have much respect for the woman. I'm with Kay.

I was too big to ride the Raptor at Cedar Point one year.  Does that count?  The park couldn't do anything about it.  I just couldn't ride it.  The shoulder harness wouldn't come down.  Do you know what I'd expect to happen if I ran to the local newspaper to tell my story?  I actually had a very athletic build at the time, but I doubt the comments section under the article would have been very sympathetic.  Most people would have gotten a good chuckle.  My friends sure did.

This lady's appearance doesn't bother me.  Her HM doesn't bother me.  What bothers me is that she ran to a newspaper to tell somebody that a mean ole massage therapist called her fat.  What is worse than that is that other news outlets thought is was news worthy.  Depending on which side you believe, since when is A) Shitty equipment at a local spa B) Somebody being mean, news?

Seriously, is this how we deal with things now?  Someone calls you fat, and you call the news and give them your race photo?  When I was a kid, I was as wide as I was tall.  If I told my own mother that someone called me fat, she'd tell me that they were ugly.  Worst case scenario, I might get into a fight after school.  This might actually be a story if the spa started calling her at home, or spray painted fatty on her car.

Here's a clue.  If they tell you that you're too fat to get a massage, you just walk out in the lobby and let everybody know that their table broke under a 165 pound person.  Then, you go find another spa.  You might share that story with your friends, but you don't go all national news on a local spa.  It seems petty, and overly sensitive.

Just google it, and you'll find additional stories with additional quotes and information about the lady:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/spa-refuses-give-massage-citing-weight-article-1.1268698

She's eating this up.  Yet, you look at the "spa" she went to.  It's in a strip mall with a black and white sign.

Let's run to the newspaper:

LTH tells forum member that he's too big to run a 5 minute mile.

Boston Marathon tells runner that he's too slow.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Love the Half

I might mention that the spa disputes her story.  I was fat most of my adult life and it wasn't from an "athletic build."  I was fat because I ate too much and didn't exercise.  As a former fattie, I don't have a lot of sympathy.  We are what we are due mostly to the choices we make.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Dr. Cornsitter

I had an athletic build at 185 lbs....at 175 lbs....at 165lbs.....and so on. But I was an ice hockey goalie and a softball catcher. I needed size and strength, not speed. Granted, I certainly needed to lose some, weight but my size helped me earn the accolades that I earned at the time. Since I no longer do those things, and am more concerned with overall healthy lifestyle, I'm 150lbs and still losing weight bc the athletic build I need to be a runner doesn't look the same as what I needed before.

But did I know I was a "big girl"? Yes. Did I cry when a pair of pants told me I couldn't fit into them? No. My ass was too big. I got over it. I was sexy 35 lbs ago. And I'm sexy now. All about priorities. If she's upset about being treated poorly because she is overweight, despite what she feels are her personal accomplishments, she should do something about it.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Philliefan33

I agree with Awood.  Why did this woman go running to the newspaper?  Boo hoo, the massage place was mean to me, I need to have my story told on the news.  Give me a break.

I believe:

1) the woman in question is fat

2)  her being fat has no bearing on her "worth" as a person

3)  she must have worked hard to be able to finish the HM.  I give her props for that.  Running is hard, and she is trying -- good for her

4) the massage place should have a sturdier table

delicate flower

WTH, the masseuse never kneaded a pizza dough before?

<3

@runjerseygirl

I had an athletic build at 185 lbs....at 175 lbs....at 165lbs.....and so on. But I was an ice hockey goalie and a softball catcher. I needed size and strength, not speed. Granted, I certainly needed to lose some, weight but my size helped me earn the accolades that I earned at the time. Since I no longer do those things, and am more concerned with overall healthy lifestyle, I'm 150lbs and still losing weight bc the athletic build I need to be a runner doesn't look the same as what I needed before.

But did I know I was a "big girl"? Yes. Did I cry when a pair of pants told me I couldn't fit into them? No. My ass was too big. I got over it. I was sexy 35 lbs ago. And I'm sexy now. All about priorities. If she's upset about being treated poorly because she is overweight, despite what she feels are her personal accomplishments, she should do something about it.

We're like kindred spirits!  Goalies, catchers, Floridians at heart.  Will you be my friend?

Do you even run?

@runjerseygirl

WTH, the masseuse never kneaded a pizza dough before?

I laughed.  Because that was one of my thoughts when reading.  I just didn't want to be the one to say it. Joking

Do you even run?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Methinks the massage lady has quite a lot of fat too...between her ears....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

bingo_jenn

I say they need better tables and they'd get a 1 star Yelp review.   Yes, the girl is obese, but for the business, this is just bad press.

Dr. Cornsitter

We're like kindred spirits!  Goalies, catchers, Floridians at heart.  Will you be my friend?

Absolutely! I am a Boston girl through and through but I am so over the weather....Florida could be nice Wink

Oh also, I wanted to add that I got worked on by a massage therapist (a very sweet, older woman) when I was OVER 165lbs and she told be I had a lovely figure and that she enjoyed working on my athletic build. Her table had no trouble with my weight. This spa needs to invest in some better equipment and some customer service training.

@runjerseygirl

Absolutely! I am a Boston girl through and through but I am so over the weather....Florida could be nice Wink

Oh also, I wanted to add that I got worked on by a massage therapist (a very sweet, older woman) when I was OVER 165lbs and she told be I had a lovely figure and that she enjoyed working on my athletic build. Her table had no trouble with my weight. This spa needs to invest in some better equipment and some customer service training.

Oops, I was thinking of flarunner when I said Florida girl, LOL!

Do you even run?

Dr. Cornsitter

Oops, I was thinking of flarunner when I said Florida girl, LOL!

Don't let the tan legs in my avi fool you. That was the end of July in NE. That's about the only time of year I am that fabulous shade of awesome. Right now, I'm as pasty as the rest of the Irish girls up here!