Beginners and Beyond

Questions about Training Cycles and Recovery (Read 79 times)

Love the Half

I took 8 days completely off and am easing back into it. Last night I felt the best I have since the marathon and its been about 20 days. I don't have anything on the schedule and after a couple marathon cycles this year I'm looking forward to some easy weeks of running. My weekly plan post-marathon was

~20

~30

~40

Then be around 50 mpw for the rest of the year while I figure out where I'm going next as far as races.

And this, folks, is how you're supposed to recover from a marathon.  When I see recreational runners getting back into training a week or 10 days after a race, I know good and well they didn't come close to pushing their limits.  One of the reasons I'm not a fan of marathons is that recovery takes so damn long that I lose fitness in the process.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

I seriously read this title as Questions about Tricycles.

I need more coffee.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I seriously read this title as Questions about Tricycles.

I need more coffee.

Yes you do lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

B-Plus

And this, folks, is how you're supposed to recover from a marathon.  When I see recreational runners getting back into training a week or 10 days after a race, I know good and well they didn't come close to pushing their limits.  One of the reasons I'm not a fan of marathons is that recovery takes so damn long that I lose fitness in the process.

+1. Except I don't mind losing fitness. Marathon break me down, then build it back up after some downtime. So +.75ish, I guess.

LRB

I am not smart enough to know how much someone not named LRB pushed themselves during their marathon so I cannot speak on that.  I can tell you that *I* recover much faster from races than I do long slow runs so the key there is to know thyself.

I took 4 days off after my marathon Sunday and am ready to get back into it and in fact have done exactly that.  If that means that I did not push myself to the limit then so be it, but I know (because I was there) that I left my nuts on that course, and that is good enough for me.

I am not smart enough to know how much someone not named LRB pushed themselves during their marathon so I cannot speak on that.  I can tell you that *I* recover much faster from races than I do long slow runs so the key there is to know thyself.

I took 4 days off after my marathon Sunday and am ready to get back into it and in fact have done exactly that.  If that means that I did not push myself to the limit then so be it, but I know (because I was there) that I left my nuts on that course, and that is good enough for me.

I was wondering what those things were I saw on the side of the road around mile 24.

Dave

LRB

I was wondering what those things were I saw on the side of the road around mile 24.

lol

You know Ironically there were parts of the course from mile 20 forward that were used for other races that I have run on this year.

B-Plus

1 brew per day off. Sounds about right.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And this, folks, is how one runner recovers from a marathon. Not all runners choose to recover in this way and some of us don't suffer from doing it another way.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.