Beginners and Beyond

The Great Hyannis John Kelly Half Marathon RR (Read 91 times)

TakeAHike

What a fantastic first half marathon.  The pacing was excellent, showing strength throughout.  Nice job.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Dr. Cornsitter

Wow! Great times! Congrats on crushing your goal!

I ran it this year, too (RR to come when I have a few min to spare) but at a much slower pace than you! Because of the changes in the course, it ran a bit longer than it should've. Did you happen to GPS the course? So your time may actually have been much better than you thought if it were a true half!

I'm completing the series this year as well, so I'll see you in Harwich in the fall!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

LRB

Conclusion:  Training and dedication clearly paid off for me for this race. 

Word!

Nice job Ron, that was about as well an executed race as one could run!

happylily

You did so much better than just a sub-2:00! You beat your expectations by a lot! And yes, what awesome splits... Congratulations!  And I fully agree with you regarding the shorter trial races before a longer race. They can give us such an amazing boost of confidence! And finally, I'll say: why not start thinking about a marathon now? If you can do a half so well, you've certainly got the right stuff in you for 26.2. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Rondog65

Just about everything in race day feel together nicely.  The weather was cold and overcast, not a good beach day but a good running day, as I prefer to run in the cold.

Beach Runner I am glad that you did the John Kelley Half Marathon. I remember you posting that you did the first Half Marathon in February. I recall the parallel of our running goals, our first Half Marathon shooting for the trilogy series and the coveted jacket.  My DW say her coworker sporting last year's jacket and she commented how nice it looked and that I was trying to earn my jacket.  2 down and 1 more to go.  FYI my GPS reading for the course was 13.34 miles so I do believe it was a little long due to the course change.  I look forward to reading your race report.

LRB I appreciate your comments as you are much more of a technician in running and training.  I keep it very simple and conservative of trying to build my mileage base.  Having some lovely ladies to pace off of was certainly a plus, and truth be told was probably the real reason for such a good performance.  Remember behind a successful man is strong woman!!!

Lily thank you for your encouragement and just between you and I (fellow forumites - stop reading) I am pondering making a run at a Marathon and secretly thinking of  Boston 2014.  I have no dillusions of getting a BQ, I would get a charity number through some friends.  I have a little time to ponder.  Probably do a Ruckus run and a sprint triathlon for fun in June while I ponder shooting for the stars.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Dr. Cornsitter

Just about everything in race day feel together nicely.  The weather was cold and overcast, not a good beach day but a good running day, as I prefer to run in the cold.

Beach Runner I am glad that you did the John Kelley Half Marathon. I remember you posting that you did the first Half Marathon in February. I recall the parallel of our running goals, our first Half Marathon shooting for the trilogy series and the coveted jacket.  My DW say her coworker sporting last year's jacket and she commented how nice it looked and that I was trying to earn my jacket.  2 down and 1 more to go.  FYI my GPS reading for the course was 13.34 miles so I do believe it was a little long due to the course change.  I look forward to reading your race report.

LRB I appreciate your comments as you are much more of a technician in running and training.  I keep it very simple and conservative of trying to build my mileage base.  Having some lovely ladies to pace off of was certainly a plus, and truth be told was probably the real reason for such a good performance.  Remember behind a successful man is strong woman!!!

Lily thank you for your encouragement and just between you and I (fellow forumites - stop reading) I am pondering making a run at a Marathon and secretly thinking of  Boston 2014.  I have no dillusions of getting a BQ, I would get a charity number through some friends.  I have a little time to ponder.  Probably do a Ruckus run and a sprint triathlon for fun in June while I poevents hooting for the stars.

The jacket is going to look great on you! And I have to admit, I eavesdropped on your comment to Lily and I, too, was considering a charity entry into Boston for next year. There will probably be a massive rush for applications for bibs and since there are only 35 charities to choose from, that only makes the pool that much larger. Having an "in" is definitely a plus! Good for you Smile

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

B-Plus

What a great race you had. I love it when it all comes together on race day like that. Nice, strong finish.

Love the Half

Nice job of letting your body dictate the pace.  Good even splits as well.  I think I ran about 1:54 the first time I thought about going under 2 so you have me beat.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).