Beginners and Beyond

upcoming HM & flu (Read 114 times)

Shakedown Street

About 2 hours after my 6m yesterday I felt like a train wreck-chills, 99.8, pain in kidney area (I get this every time I have a viral party), aches, etc. I feel a little better today, the fever is a little lower, but it is AM, so probably has something to do with that. Yes I got a flu shot, I get two a year as I work in a high exposure environment.

I have a HM Sunday. I am VERY upset about not being able to race it.

Should I:

Pop a few advil and go jog it as a training run, have fun, but keep my heartrate ultra low like 145?

DNS, stay home, infect my family?

Get on my bike and ride to various observation points to cheer on my buddies running the half and full, maybe take a medium format camera and take some rocking photos of them?

DWI and race the thing?-resulting in possible blow up and sag party.

Called my doc (I know him well), he said 'stay at home and be sick-but I know your not going to do that'.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

About 2 hours after my 6m yesterday I felt like a train wreck-chills, 99.8, pain in kidney area (I get this every time I have a viral party), aches, etc. I feel a little better today, the fever is a little lower, but it is AM, so probably has something to do with that. Yes I got a flu shot, I get two a year as I work in a high exposure environment.

I have a HM Sunday. I am VERY upset about not being able to race it.

Should I:

Pop a few advil and go jog it as a training run, have fun, but keep my heartrate ultra low like 145?

DNS, stay home, infect my family?

Get on my bike and ride to various observation points to cheer on my buddies running the half and full, maybe take a medium format camera and take some rocking photos of them?

DWI and race the thing?-resulting in possible blow up and sag party.

Called my doc (I know him well), he said 'stay at home and be sick-but I know your not going to do that'.

jneilt - I had the same thing happened to me this summer 2 days before a HM. I chose to DNS or better yet my RN DW chose for me.Smile I did not have flu, but ended up being pneunomia. i had to take a whole month off from running and can't imagine how long I'd be out if i chose to race. Not end of the world. it really sucks, but there will be other races.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Love the Half

I say go race it all out.  That's by far the best thing to do.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

kbrks

Don't be afraid to DNS. I ran a 5k with a fever over thanksgiving, ran it a full 2min slower. On top of that....I developed a terrible cough. Not worth it. Take the DNS and heal up.

Shakedown Street

I say go race it all out.  That's by far the best thing to do.

I knew I could count on you!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I'd probably jog it if I was able to get plenty of fluids beforehand.  That way it didn't go completely to waste and I was able to get a longer run in.  A race wouldn't go so well....

This is based on the fact you feel better and able to run by Sunday.  If you still have a fever and chills, then DNS is the way to go.  (Which of course sucks, I know but the smart thing to do.)

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Docket_Rocket

I had the same before a HM once.  I went ahead with it and by Mile 3 I had to DNF.  If you're still feeling like that tomorrow morning, I would DNS.  BTW, the morning of the HM I felt OK.  Going to the race was a mistake.

Feel better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page