Beginners and Beyond

Getting back into running (Read 53 times)

clintmorningwood

This week I would like to start "training". I have hated most of my runs this winter up until last week. I now like running again and am ready to start running more. For most of January I did a few very short runs of .25 - 2 miles.

Some background: I really liked running before October. At that time I was doing 35-40mpw. I was in ~22minute 5k shape then (pr of 22:10). Towards the end of September I stopped improving and eventually got slower, running a 24:30 on a course that was a bit flatter than my pr course. After that I took 2 weeks of nothing and another 2 weeks of very easy runs. I was eager to get back into running so once i had a solid week of training I signed up for a 5k in two weeks. That did not go so well, ended up doing a 31 minute on a pretty flat course. Decided to give up running after that but ended up starting on new years day just because I missed the good feeling after a run. Now I am ready to start training again but I am not sure what to do. I would like to do the Broad Street 10 miler just for fun in May and do a hilly 10k to test my fitness in early April/ Late March.

I am seeking advice on how to build back up, avoid regression, and anything else.

@runjerseygirl

Welcome back to running!  I don't have any advice, other than start slow.

And just an FYI, don't get your hopes too high about Broad Street.  It sold out in 10 minutes last year, and they are doing a lottery this year.

Do you even run?

LRB

Wassup Oni!  Hope to see you in that other thread too.  5k race times can be a tough pill to swallow, it took me 13 months to set a new PR.  I was starting to wonder if the PR I had was even legit.  Just gotta stick with though, and try not to let each result hang around too long.

Love the Half

I'll second the thought about wondering if the 22:10 was legit.  Local 5Ks are notorious for being a bit short and it doesn't take much short to make a big difference in your time.  Beyond that, just start gradually building your mileage again, make one run longer than the other runs, and get in one tempo run or fartlek run each week.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

meaghansketch

I think my best advice would be to try to figure out what wasn't working with your previous training.  Even if the 22:10 wasn't accurate, to go from somewhere in that neighborhood (even 24:00-25:00) to 31:00 is a huge step backwards.

What did an average week look like for you?  Not just mileage but how it was distributed-  A lot of shorter runs and a long run or a few substantially equal runs? Lots of easy runs or lots of high intensity?  Did you taper at all for the races or just train through them?

As far as building back up, just keep doing what you're doing.  Try to slightly increase the length of your runs-- If you can do 2 miles now you should be able to get to the point that you're doing 3 miles 3x week pretty quickly (say, by the end of February).  From there just keep adding on.  Don't increase your mileage too quickly and don't try to push your runs too much.  In March you'll probably want to think about extending your mileage so your long run at least is around 6 miles and start adding a bit of easy intensity-- strides once or twice a week at the end of an easy run, for example.

MrNamtor

Wassup Oni!  Hope to see you in that other thread too.  5k race times can be a tough pill to swallow, it took me 13 months to set a new PR.  I was starting to wonder if the PR I had was even legit.  Just gotta stick with though, and try not to let each result hang around too long.

+1. One of my most painful experiences was earlier this month when i ran a 5k in about the same time as a year ago. This after a year of increasing my training significantly.  I like your "try not to let each result hang around too long" remark. LOL, that could be a life's credo.