Beginners and Beyond

A Terrific Day of Racing (Read 106 times)

MrNamtor

man your whole family are crazy runners! And you inspired others to run through your story? Amazing (in the true sense, not the overused sense). Congrats!

Don't even need to congratulate you on your run, that's a given.

Great job, LTH.

Inspiring someone to take up running, excellent.

Strong race rewarded by beer? Not to shabby either.

hog4life

Nice run! I liked the part about the guy that commented on your newspaper article.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

That was a great RR, top to bottom!

Great job!

Randy

happylily

That was such an exciting and inspiring read! Wow! Thanks for writing this, LTH. And big congratulations on your fabulous 5k! I love how you have your pre-race warmup down to a science. It seems to work really well for you. You really are an intelligent racer, I greatly admire that in you. And I agree 100% with you about the awards ceremony: if you stay for yours, stay for the others. You said it well. Congratulations again!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Now a root beer and ice cream would have been perfect.

Hey, if the crazy things we do help get people off the couch, all the better.

Someone obviously put the timing mat for 2-miles in the wrong place. Sad

Some runners tolerate the heat better than others. Watching what happened to Bridget Franek in the women's 3000m SC yesterday looks like the heat (100F) got to her and she faded badly. The winner trains in PR and SC.

And finally, congratulations on the PR. A good kick at the end doesn't necessarily mean you left something on the course. A well-conditioned runner should be able to sprint at the end if they've paced themselves well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MrNamtor

can you train for heat?  Might sound like a stupid question, but I ran in the heat all last summer and don't feel like I got better at it as time went on.

Docket_Rocket

You can acclimate to heat, but there is no acclimating to dewpoint, so no matter how much you train on it, you will be affected by the dewpoint and somewhat by the heat/dewpoint combination. 

can you train for heat? Might sound like a stupid question, but I ran in the heat all last summer and don't feel like I got better at it as time went on.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I'm amused by your C goal of a DNF.  Can't say I've seen that "goal" on anyone's list before lol   Glad you had such a good race.

Congrats to your cousin, too!

TakeAHike

That is a fantastic race LtH.  I am taking notes on your warm up routine. I can't believe the guy with the VFFs, camelback and iPod was ahead of you after the first mile.  That is a serious pace to run with a camelback. I loved your description of the 20 foot hill. The hill you would never notice in an easy run, but a killer towards the end of a 5K.  When I read your RRs, I always feel like I don't work hard enough in my races.  Your intensity and commitment is impressive. Congrats on the PR.

Oh, and I fixed your post below.

Anywho, as I'm leaving, an older gentleman stops me and asks if I'm the guy in the paper who ran 50 miles on his 50th birthday.  Yep.  That's me.  He tells me that reading my story is the reason he started running.  Wow.  I have no idea how to respond to something like that except to say, "that's terrific, but you'll probably quit within 6 months, so get back into the pain cave and watch the all-caps, old-timer."

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20