Beginners and Beyond

Race Report & Photos: UTSA Diploma Dash 5K (Read 54 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 15th race of 2013.  Diploma Dash 5K held on the campus of the university where I work - The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA).  Race supports the UTSA Alumni Association scholarships, etc.  Bright sunny day, about 45 degrees at 8 a.m. start time.  Nice turn out too, had to be well over 1,000 participants is my guess.  New course this year, and I think whomever laid out the course found just about every hill on the campus, lol.  Even so, it was a very nice course, a big loop around the campus.  As for the hills, luckily I run on the campus quite a bit for my training runs, so I knew what to expect.  I managed to run up all the hills in good order and ended up finishing 32:34 chip time.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

1.  BEFORE THE START

Got there with about 50 minutes to go until start time and did my usual pre-start photo thing.  The folks wearing the short-sleeved gray shirts that have "Diploma Dash" on them are wearing the race tee that each participants got.

Two clowns at the event, one of whom is your host for this report.

A few members of the UTSA band that was out there to support the event.

This UTSA supporter was selling UTSA souvenir items, clothing, etc.

These lovely ladies in the blue shirts were, I believe, course marshals, race volunteers, support crew, etc.

Awaiting the start

At the starting area

2.  ON THE COURSE

a 1/2 mile to go and we have the biggest hill on the course to go up..sadistic Race Director! emo-thumbup At the top of the hill we did a little turn-around, then it was down the hill and to the finish.

At the finish,  Ronald was there cheering everyone in.

3.  AFTER THE FINISH

OK, let's get the "ugly me" photos out of the way first.. smiley-tongue-out

My first post-race stop, get that cold beer,  yeah!  There was also sausage tacos, all kinds of fruits, lots of other types of beverages, including a variety of Starbucks  coffee products,  Whataburger ( a Texas fast-food place) was giving out breakfast chicken biscuits, Nature Sweet had their 'sunbursts', and lots of other stuff.

Me and Lucy, another UTSA employee...and one of my supervisors in my office.  Yes, I require an actual "adult" watching me to keep me out of trouble. smiley-tongue-out

This lovely young lady wanted a photo with me..or with the shirt...

Lots of activity going on post-race.  This was just one side of the parking lot that had sponsors with free stuff, food, etc.  There was so much going on I can't remember all the great sponsors and vendors that were out there supporting us.   And we even had a group playing live music for us.

The most important post-race goodies folks, IMHO...the beer ladies!  rocks

Happy Finishers and Supporters

Where was this big guy when I needed a ride up that last hill? smiley-tongue-out

Rowdy Roadrunner (UTSA mascot), the 'blowup" version,  and friends

EPILOG

I usually do this race each year and it just keeps getting better and better.   This year's was really nicely done, kudos to the organizers and the many volunteers and sponsors that made this event possible!   If you are a runner in San Antonio when this one is being put on, definitely don't miss it, I am sure you will really enjoy the experience.

On a personal note:  speedy healing wishes to my friend Jim, who pulled a hamstring on the course.  I saw him on the course walking and got him in one of the course photos.  I knew something had to be wrong, because Jim runs about a 6-something mile, and I only ever see him at a race before the start and after the finish, never on the course, he is usually far far ahead of me the whole course.  So please think good thoughts for my bud, who will hopefully be his old running self again in no time.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Awesome RR, Scotty.  I love your pictures.  You must be like the undesignated photographer for these races, love it.

And one day I'll get there to run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hope your friend Jim is ok!

Thanks for the RR. Loved the pictures! Except those of Ronald McDonald.... he creeps me out lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Man would I love a beer right about now.  That thing sure looked good!

Nice report!

happylily

I agree with Kristin, clowns freak me out too. Big grin

Great report, Scotty! You did a good job in those hills. Give my healing thoughts to your friend Jim for me, ok?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

Congrats on #15!

Congrats Scotty!

Odd that McD's would sponsor a 5K.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Great report!  So many pictures!

Zelanie

Great report and photos, Scott!  Love those Ridgebacks!  And sending healing mojo to Jim!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Great job as always Scotty!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

What was Ronald's time? Did you out run him?

Jen2011

Sounds like a great race, Scotty!  Congrats on #15 for the year!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You've already done more races than I'll do for the whole year, you crazy Dawg!  Sounds like it was a tough course, but I think that knowing what's coming really makes all the difference.  Those "surprise" hills are the ones that can really get me down.  Nice job motoring around that course for a good time.

ETA...just saw the great dane pic...he was awesome!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn