Beginners and Beyond

Friday penguins really know where their towel is at! (Read 27 times)

SheCan

AFternoon friends!

Jack Enjoy your weekend!  Vegas?  Didja stop for a minute and win anything?

Docket- I'm so glad you're able to drive now.  Glad you're doing well.  Now get all the way well! :-P

Scotty-- glad you weren't hurt more with that trip.  Hope you'll be 100% by race time tomorrow.  Have fun.

Ginny-- Yay@ grass!  That's a sign you'll get to be running outside more very, very soon!

Was a nice day today and I was feeling good.  I planned on doing 10 miles got greedy and did 14 instead.  Now I'm feeling stiff and regretting it a bit.  D'oh!   I'm hoping I can talk my darling DH into going out and listening to music tonight (crosses fingers.)

HI Hi Zelanie, Hopesmom, and Jimmy!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Dad on the run.

YAY!!!! Garmin has finally updated their Garmin Connect for android! We now have 220 and 620 support! The app has a much nice feel and look as well.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Amazonian Princess

Happy Friday!

Morning run yesterday was nice, think I'll do it at least once a week. Probably set oatmeal in a crock pot the night before so I can have something warm and filling when I get back. Felt good all day and slept really well last night. Today I'm in bottomless stomach mode and can smell Girl Scout cookies at 100 yards

I know I don't post much, but I really wanted to share with the igloo: I think I found a half to register for this Fall!

• it's in my old hometown and the course is on a trail that I run every time I go back to visit (seriously, I LOVE that trail)
        • since there's a full going on at the same time, the course stays open for 6 hours (no worry about being picked up by the Shame Bus)
        • mostly flat with a few underpasses (and I run steeper underpasses all the time!) but not much shade (I run a nearly shadeless trail almost all the time!)

I know that walk-run isn't a popular Plan A, but it's what I'm capable of right now. With the possibility of dialysis in my future, I'm not going to wait until I think I can run nonstop because there's no guarantee that day'll come. What I can do is run 6: walk 1 and my distance and pace are getting better so I think I'm gonna work with what I've got!

Can you tell I'm excited?   

I can. I will. I am. 

Dad on the run.

I just wanted to say that I admire you and Pinktastic. Both of you seem to have been dealing with a lot of issues and you always come on here and are always positive regardless the situation. I raise a glass to you both!

Happy Friday!

Morning run yesterday was nice, think I'll do it at least once a week. Probably set oatmeal in a crock pot the night before so I can have something warm and filling when I get back. Felt good all day and slept really well last night. Today I'm in bottomless stomach mode and can smell Girl Scout cookies at 100 yards

I know I don't post much, but I really wanted to share with the igloo: I think I found a half to register for this Fall!

• it's in my old hometown and the course is on a trail that I run every time I go back to visit (seriously, I LOVE that trail)
          • since there's a full going on at the same time, the course stays open for 6 hours (no worry about being picked up by the Shame Bus)
          • mostly flat with a few underpasses (and I run steeper underpasses all the time!) but not much shade (I run a nearly shadeless trail almost all the time!)

I know that walk-run isn't a popular Plan A, but it's what I'm capable of right now. With the possibility of dialysis in my future, I'm not going to wait until I think I can run nonstop because there's no guarantee that day'll come. What I can do is run 6: walk 1 and my distance and pace are getting better so I think I'm gonna work with what I've got!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Hi everyone!

Damaris, glad to hear that you're getting to move about, happy healing.

I run 8 miles this morning, followed by 3.5 on the bike.

SheCan

Happy Friday!

Yes!!!!  And it makes me excited for you!  That's super neat!  Getting to race in a place you love is the absolute best.  You don't have to be the fastest one out there, to be out there, and to have a great time.  Honestly, I must have missed when you'd talked about dialysis before.  I had no idea you were going through so much.  I'm like Jimmy: I have an immense admiration for you.  Makes my problems seem so puny.

Mitch-- great job on your run and biking.  Do I sense a biathlon on someone's future?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Friday and Weekend Pengs !!!  Indoor LR for us.  Don't count laps, but we ran 1:45, so that's about 9 miles,  Don't know if it was the track or what, but I tired out and foot was hurting after an hour, so we were pretty slow.  Might be a long HM next weekend, but maybe the scenery, warm weather and spectators will help.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Happy Friday!

Go get it!

Damaris

hog4life

Yes!!!!  And it makes me excited for you!  That's super neat!  Getting to race in a place you love is the absolute best.  You don't have to be the fastest one out there, to be out there, and to have a great time.  Honestly, I must have missed when you'd talked about dialysis before.  I had no idea you were going through so much.  I'm like Jimmy: I have an immense admiration for you.  Makes my problems seem so puny.

Mitch-- great job on your run and biking.  Do I sense a biathlon on someone's future?

Yes, I've already registered for one called Heel and Crank Duathlon, it's 3 run/13.5 bike/3 run. Then doing a HM the next day for a cool 32.6 mile sticker and a beer mug with both race logos.

SheCan

Yes, I've already registered for one called Heel and Crank Duathlon, it's 3 run/13.5 bike/3 run. Then doing a HM the next day for a cool 32.6 mile sticker and a beer mug with both race logos.

Very, very cool.  Good for you!

Cherie

Zelanie

Baconista- I am so glad that you're registered for the half!  I am also a participant in the Half Marathon Trainers' group, and there is a member there who trains very seriously and uses run-walk, and it's gone really well for her.  If the distance is your goal, then why wait if you have a plan that can make it happen? Smile

We make oatmeal the night before just by setting it in the refrigerator.  I got the recipe from Steph, who used to post here.  It softens overnight and just needs to be heated up in the morning.  I mix 2 cups rolled oats, 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, some cinnamon, 1 1/2 cups water, and whatever flavorings you want to add, and that makes 4 servings.  I actually just weight the whole thing, then when DD or I want some, we weigh out 1/4 of the total.

I've only tried a few flavor combos so far:

- frozen blueberries and orange zest

- dried cherries, almonds, and chocolate chips

- trader joe's frozen tropical mixed fruit

hog4life

Baconista- I am so glad that you're registered for the half!  I am also a participant in the Half Marathon Trainers' group, and there is a member there who trains very seriously and uses run-walk, and it's gone really well for her.  If the distance is your goal, then why wait if you have a plan that can make it happen? Smile

We make oatmeal the night before just by setting it in the refrigerator.  I got the recipe from Steph, who used to post here.  It softens overnight and just needs to be heated up in the morning.  I mix 2 cups rolled oats, 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, some cinnamon, 1 1/2 cups water, and whatever flavorings you want to add, and that makes 4 servings.  I actually just weight the whole thing, then when DD or I want some, we weigh out 1/4 of the total.

I've only tried a few flavor combos so far:

- frozen blueberries and orange zest

- dried cherries, almonds, and chocolate chips

- trader joe's frozen tropical mixed fruit

Bacon, I say do it with the intervals that work for you. If you read some of the posts that Zel is referring to, you'll see a better picture of how successful it is.

I use instant oats, put a little water in, 1:30 in the microwave, add brown sugar, and whatever else we have.

GinnyinPA

Baconista - hurray for having a goal race to look forward to.  Where is your hometown?  When is the race?  Walk run seems like a good strategy if straight running is too hard on the body.  If it gets you to the finish line, doesn't matter if you walk, run or skip.

Cherie- I hope you got to listen to some music and relax your weary body.  What do you do after a run like that?  Ice, heat, hot bath, massage?

Amazonian Princess

Thanks you guys for the kind words! I have IgA nephropathy, diagnosed 7 years ago and slowly worsening. One in four cases develops end stage renal disease and there's no cure or treatment. The best my doc suggests is to keep my blood pressure well controlled to slow kidney damage and lab work once or twice a year to monitor. Sounds grim but compared to what others deal with and have dealt with, I'm really lucky.

Anyway, the race I'm excited about is the Two Cities Half (Clovis route) on November 2nd and registration opens March 1st. Lots of time to train! Last year they offered personalized bibs - hope they allow nicknames!

Zelanie and h4l - thank you for the oatmeal recipe ideas! A crockpot recipe sounded like a good idea, but makes too much at once; developing it overnight in the fridge sounds good and I can microwave a more reasonable portion. Will check out the half marathon trainer forum now that my iPad has recharged 

I can. I will. I am.