Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Memorial SaturDAILY (Read 22 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!!  Recovery run for us today.  Good day to patch the lawn.

How's hubby Ginny?  Hope you have a great trip anyway.  You guys do more injured than we do healthy.

Have a speedy 5K awood.

Enjoy double race day, Scotty.

GinnyinPA

Good luck to Awood and Scotty, and anyone else who is racing today.  I wish I were, but the only local race is a 6/12/24 hour race, coupled with a color run to bring in more participants/dollars to pay for the ultra.  There's a HM about an hour and a half away, but it is supposed to be very challenging (hilly) and I'd like my next half to be a bit less challenging in that regard, not more.

Jerry - enjoy your recovery run. I take it yesterday's longish run went well?

Long run day for me.  It's only supposed to get up to 72 and the humidity is supposed to drop by late morning, so it should be ideal for a long run if the traffic isn't too bad.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Ginny: is your husband ok?

Jerry: Have fun with the lawn. lol.

Good luck Awood and Scotty.

Scotty: I read about a Friday the 13th race in San Antonio. UNLIMITED BEER!

All done. Last little 3 miler is in the books. Now we are gorging on pancakes and bagels washed down with Gatorade. In a bit we will go to DD's swim meet and watch her swim one event, the 200m breaststroke. Then we have a two hour drive to the expo and hotel. It should be a good time.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Had a strong week of running til today. Today I learned a very hard lesson: margaritas and tacos the night before a long run do not mix .

I had moved all my runs around this week so I could take off tomorrow, because I am about to head down to Atlantic City for the weekend with my boyfriend. So, I will not be having a long run this week, as I had to bail not quite 2 miles into my long run that was supposed to be 11.5 miles due to bathroom issues. Oh well. We will call it a cutback week, My shins want a cutback week anyway. I have increased my mileage for 3 weeks straight so I guess it's not the worst thing.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

I might do a few easy miles later.

awood, what happened?

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Well, my luck wasn't good.  I averaged a PR pace, and every pack took a different route.  Volunteers didn't seem to mind.  Those of us that were honest had our times thrown out.  I ran well.  So, there's that.  If only there was another .35 miles on that route, I'd have my first PR of the year.  Yes, I'm mad.  No, I didn't accept the refund (charitable organization and all).  I am accepting a free race entry.  I will never run this race again.  Last year, the lead pack for the 5K ran the 10K route.  So, two years in a row they have screwed it up.  This is a race that's been run for over a decade, but they change the routes, add more distances and generally screw it up.

Then, they had the nerve to point out after the race that this might not have happened if more runners volunteered, because we know the importance of getting it right.  Maybe we need a runner as a director, who can explain the the volunteers how important it is.  Last year at one of their races, I almost ran a 15K.  15K wasn't an option.  I was running the 10K and directed to run a third loop.  Luckily, I was smart enough to know better.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all - got 7 miles in early this morning.  It was my "long" run for the week since this is a cutback/recovery week for me.  I decided to run it with DH.  Normally I try to keep my LR in the 11:30-12:00 pace.  He had me at right about 10:45.  A bit fast but it wasn't really a long long run for me so it should be okay.  I have to catch a train in an hour so I should get packing.

Have a great memorial day weekend everyone!

Kristin - running after tacos and margaritas is never a good idea... =)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Not a great long run today.  Again started out too fast, so I was suffering by mile 8.  I stopped at a light and got hit by a wave of dizziness that had me staggering, so I decided to call Jim and have him pick me up.  Besides, that way I didn't have to pass the house with the two loose German shepherds again;-) I did manage about 10.4; I kept stopping my Garmin to let traffic pass and forgetting to start it again.

Jim says he isn't in a lot of pain, as long as he doesn't sneeze or twist his body wrong.  The doctor said no heavy exertion for two weeks, but I think his definition of heavy and Jim's definition are a little different.

Awood - that must be frustrating, to be doing so well and have the course be wrong.

Jack - I hope you and your wife have a great race tomorrow.

Kristin - have fun in AC.  Do you go for the beach, the gambling or the shows?

sapf - good job on the fast seven.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yo.  SRD for me.

Damaris

Zelanie

Howdy, everyone.  Got my 10 in.  Sapf, my plan has me running long runs a bit faster than my easy pace, and so far I like that.  It's practice staying focused, I think, and takes some effort after the fatigue sets in.  But not too tough, either.

Kristin- That's a bummer, hope you enjoy your RD tomorrow!

Awood- I would be so mad.  I was thinking about that on my run today as I passed the markers that are still there from a race I ran 3 weeks ago.  That's one thing that RDs around here (so far) seem to do pretty well.

Jerry- Could you come over here and patch our lawn too?  We got some patching seed last year, but never got it put down.  DH did get the garage cleared out today, though, so score one for him.

Ginny- Glad you got home safely.  I will say that coming to a dead stop from running can sometimes make me a bit dizzy just from the change of pace, but usually that's at the end of a race, not a stop light.  Could it be that you're actually OK if you don't have to stop?  But I don't want to recommend that you stay out there if you're at all iffy, of course.

Jack- Hope DD had a good race, and that you guys enjoy the expo!  I know you're going to do so well tomorrow!

Mitch- Good luck tomorrow!

D- How are the lungs feeling?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

They are back to normal but I won't know until I run. Thanks!

Damaris

Zelanie

They are back to normal but I won't know until I run. Thanks!

Glad to hear it!  Good thing you got the meds sorted out.  Running is more important than talking anyway.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad to hear it!  Good thing you got the meds sorted out.  Running is more important than talking anyway.

Haha, not for what I do for a living!

Damaris

Zelanie

Haha, not for what I do for a living!

Make the judge feel all sorry for you not having a voice and win that way.