He's a leaker!

Hip Redux

I can't get to it?

But yes, injuries do suck.

happylily

I can't get to it?

But yes, injuries do suck.

Me neither...

Are you injured, Blue? If so, healing vibes sent in your direction.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Is this a scam to get us to join a boring group?

happylily

Is this a scam to get us to join a boring group?

LOL...

No more marathons

Sorry, didn't realize you had to join the group - here's the post:

"Return" to track slowed by injury

Not really a "return" since I only ran a few all comers track meets in the 80's, but after Boston this year I decided I'd take advantage of the training I'd been doing and see what I could do in the old farts (OK, they call it the senior games) in the 800, 1500, and 5000.  Finished first in all (OK, most others were over 70 but there were a couple in my age group) and got excited about the state senior games in September and the National Games next year.  Started looking around for some all comer track meets in the area (found a few) and then my over exuberance yielded a should have been expected result;  soft tissue injury.

Four "speed" (I use that term loosely - at 63 there just isn't much) workouts in 8 days, and a hard 5K road race (a phat old man PR by the way) left me with a "twinge" in my left side, right above the iliac crest (yep, I can google).  Two days after the road race I found myself walking the last mile of a 9 mile run.  Two days off, a slow run that convinced me that I needed more time to heal, and then three more days off.  I've now managed five days of easy to medium 4 mile runs, but the pain is still there and I know that pushing for any interval work at this time would be ill advised.

I confess to having good genes, so don't really have any experience with injuries - at least none that I felt I could not run through, so I have no idea how long I should wait until resuming my track workouts.  Wait until pain is completely gone?  Test it out once it's "mostly" gone?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

happylily

Hard to tell what you should do, since you don't have much experience with injuries. If you don't let it heal, you risk making it worse. But what if it's just some simple little injury that you can run with (albeit slowly) until it goes away on its on? It's hard to tell. As you know, things take longer to heal as one gets older. I would take a few more days off and if it's not better next week, go see a doctor.

No more marathons

Hard to tell what you should do, since you don't have much experience with injuries. If you don't let it heal, you risk making it worse. But what if it's just some simple little injury that you can run with (albeit slowly) until it goes away on its on? It's hard to tell. As you know, things take longer to heal as one gets older. I would take a few more days off and if it's not better next week, go see a doctor.

I've run about 4 miles each day this week - hurts for the first quarter and then eases up (2 on a scale of 10).  Mostly only hurts when walking up stairs.  Plan to do about 6 or 7 easy tomorrow.  Concern at this point is when can I start to push it a little - pick up the pace to more than just general aerobic pace.

He's a leaker!

happylily

I've run through injuries in the past (groin and plantar). Speedwork had to wait until the pain was completely gone. I know it sucks, but you don't want to push it to the point where you can no longer run at all. Run, but take it easy, be patient. It's June and it's already hot as hell, so you're not missing much anyway... I wish you quick and complete healing!

Hip Redux

There's a lot going on in that area.

Lower on the iliac crest could be the glut med:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBn93mByDc

Above the iliac crest towards your back could be the QL which attaches the hip to the rib cage.    If the pain is towards your front, it could be your psoas or iliacus. The fact that you have pain there walking up stairs makes me think it's psoas/iliacus which are part of your hip flexors used to lift the leg.

Do you ever get a massage?  That could help here.

No more marathons

There's a lot going on in that area.

Lower on the iliac crest could be the glut med:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBn93mByDc

Above the iliac crest towards your back could be the QL which attaches the hip to the rib cage.    If the pain is towards your front, it could be your psoas or iliacus. The fact that you have pain there walking up stairs makes me think it's psoas/iliacus which are part of your hip flexors used to lift the leg.

Do you ever get a massage?  That could help here.

Great video Oski - that's exactly where the pain is.  The pain now is very isolated and, fortunately, lessening.  I ran 7 miles this AM and the pain was at most a 1 on a scale of 10.  I mowed the lawn later (heavily sloped) and the pushing off to go up was the source.  My plan is to continue to run easy with no real speed work until the pain in completely gone.

MTA:  I got a foam roller for Christmas - looking for videos on how to use in that area now.

He's a leaker!

Hip Redux

A foam roller will be your best friend for that!   Take a look at this video as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7fVE24AHmI