Beginners and Beyond

National Tourism Day Wednesday Penguins (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Haha, no.  I am having dinner with RobinCD so I won't have time.  If I could, I would do the missed miles from yesterday but I don't think I will have time to run and get pretty.

What a load of...well...you know...time to GET pretty indeed...you're ALWAYS pretty.  before running, during running, even after running...we've all seen your race photos and post-race photos.  So quitcherbitchin; and just go get those miles in, and then just go right to dinner...   

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Exactly!

New Zealand sounds wonderful!  Count me in!

I'm actually thinking about a trip to the midwest to see family.  I'm kind of reluctant though because my DD isn't going to come and DH hadn't put in any vacation time.  Plus I'm not sure all the tornadoes are done there yet.  Hmmmm...

Yesterday i ran 4 and did 20 minutes on the stationary bike.  Today is super duper windy, so I decided to just do the bike (40 minutes) and weights.

Make sure you check for races (ultras) around the area you will be.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Make sure you check for races (ultras) around the area you will be.

What was I thinking??? I hadn't even thought about races!  But now that you mention it, I'm going to look now.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

What was I thinking??? I hadn't even thought about races!  But now that you mention it, I'm going to look now.

Doh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Lauren, hope you feel better and can get the run in tomorrow.

Enjoy the run tonight Margo.

Have a good RD redrum.

Hi HsM.  Have a good rehearsal.

Ginny, did you get the hike in?

Hope the wind dies down, Cherie.  Are you coming to Chicago?  No tornadoes here.

We ran 3.4 today, but I had to take a walk break after 2.5.  I think it was the sweltering 72F heat and I didn't have water.

Zelanie

Howdy pens!

This morning I had the "practice 5K" for the Girls on the Run team from my school.  I am signed up to be a running buddy for one of the girls from my school, and their official race is at the end of the month.  She ran the first lap, then mostly alternated half running and half walking the rest of the day.  My goals were to get her talking a bit, since she is pretty shy, and to try to push her just a little bit beyond what she might do on her own.  She had gone to all walking towards the end, and I talked her into jogging a few more sections, and of course I got her to sprint for the finish and smile big because there was going to be a huge crowd there cheering. Smile

I had my Garmin running the whole time to get a time (usually I pause it any time I'm not actually running), so I'm trying to decide how to log it since I don't usually log anything that isn't running, and this was a mixture.  I don't want to cheat on the miles games, you know! Smile  I could just do a manual entry for like a mile and a quarter, or something.  Next time, I might just hit "lap" every time we change paces so I can log it later.

After that I had a quick meeting, because of course I did, and then finally had my GI doc appointment that I've been waiting for.  I actually feel like I'm the right track with the new diet I've been trying the last couple of weeks, and he agreed.  He is running a few labs to be cautious, but other than that, I am just going to keep going with the diet changes and hopefully get a handle on things.

So now I'm off for the day, and trying to decide when I will run.  On the one hand, it's a lovely day and I have some time to run this afternoon, which is a luxury.  On the other hand, Wednesday evenings are track workouts, and that would be a chance to run with a group.

Obie- Glad the kitty is a trooper!  Good luck on the C25K.  I loved week 6- felt so easy after that big run at the end of week 5.

D- Enjoy your dinner out!

Scotty- I think that's a wise move not trying to teach the weights to your wife.  Now hopefully she won't be there telling YOU that you're doing them all wrong!

Jerry- I can vouch for 72 feeling sweltering after we've gotten used to running in much colder temps!

Lauren- Glad you're feeling better after some time off.  I hope you have a great run tomorrow!

Margo- Have a good run!

Randy- Glad you've found a running solution that works to keep the patella placated.

HsM- I never appreciated all of the touristy things that area available back east until I moved out west and realized that we couldn't just go to the museums and stuff that I went to when I was growing up.  I still want to get DD to NYC and Washington, DC, hopefully before she graduates from high school.  DH doesn't see what the big deal is since he grew up out here.

Ginny- Hope you get a break in the storm, or at least some enjoyable TM miles.  You're definitely getting a lot of use out of it!

Cherie- Wind in the desert sounds like a good reason to stay indoors.  Hope the bike ride goes well!

Docket_Rocket

good news, Z!  I don't recall the details but what did you change on your diet?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Right now I am on a "fodmap" elimination diet.  Basically, cutting out all of the categories of carbs that can ferment and cause GI issues.  That cuts out about half of all fruits and veggies (especially onions, garlic, and apples- boo!), beans and soy (tofu and tempeh are actually OK, depending on how they're prepared), wheat, dairy, honey, fructose, and some artificial sweeteners.  Since I'm already vegetarian that doesn't leave much!  We did figure out how to make a low-fodmap salsa, though, which helps.

But I've had several runs in a row with no GI issues at all, so something that I cut out appears to be helping.  The doc says that some patients go with the elimination diet for a few weeks, then try to gradually add things back in to see if they can identify the culprit, or sometimes they just sort of try to eat less of the problem foods from all categories, since it could be the combination of everything that is an issue once you're over a certain threshold.

The funny thing is that I read about this a couple weeks ago in Women's Running magazine.  I do read it, but there's almost never any actual useful information in there, but the doc confirmed that it's a legit diet plan that many of his patients follow.

GinnyinPA

Z - I hope you can figure out what the problem foods are, because eliminating so many classes of food could cause other issues, especially since you're vegetarian.

Cherie - where in the Midwest?  Seems they are as hot there this week as you are in Arizona, so be careful.  I hope your bike miles went well.  I have a bike, but don't use it often because somehow it seems more boring than the treadmill.  The only advantage is it's quieter, so I can watch old movies or TV programs (I.e. MASH or Northern Exposure).  But given the wind, you're smart to stay in.

Scotty - CBS led with a story about the VA scandals and mentioned that San Antonio was one of the places that has emerged as a real problem with VA medical care.  I know you've done well, but that seems to not be the case generally.

Jerry - better to walk because you're dehydrated than because the knee is hurting.  It's much easier to fix thirsty.

Damaris - I hope your dinner with Robin was fun.

I ended up doing 6 on the TM.  By the time the rain stopped, it was too late for a good hike, so Jim decided to run some errands today and try again tomorrow for the hike.  Forecast is iffy, so we'll see.

Robert31320

Team TJ

No running for me today.  Stupid head cold is getting the best of me right now...

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Robert, hope you feel better soon.

Zel, When I do walking breaks with Bella, or the NOBO group, I always count the distance because it's part of the workout. I will usually adjust the time to reflect the speed while running though.

My plan for today was to do some hill repeats, but it didn't work that way. I took Bella for 2.5, then took her home. As I started back up, got to around 5, and felt like I was overheating(temp was 88), so I found a water faucet on an empty house, and drank and splashed it on my head. I finished the run with 6.2, but never could muster up the energy to do the hills. I think I was a little dehydrated, and I didn't carry my water.

Zelanie

Robert, hope you feel better soon.

Zel, When I do walking breaks with Bella, or the NOBO group, I always count the distance because it's part of the workout. I will usually adjust the time to reflect the speed while running though.

My plan for today was to do some hill repeats, but it didn't work that way. I took Bella for 2.5, then took her home. As I started back up, got to around 5, and felt like I was overheating(temp was 88), so I found a water faucet on an empty house, and drank and splashed it on my head. I finished the run with 6.2, but never could muster up the energy to do the hills. I think I was a little dehydrated, and I didn't carry my water.

Mitch, I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if it was cheating or not.  It is time put into a planned workout at any rate.