Beginners and Beyond

It's Back To Work WEDNESDAILIES & I have Just One Question? (Read 332 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

Happy birthday, Beth Smile

LRB

Supp peeps
      LRB

Let's try this again...supp Peeps!

Gus, love EP parm!

D, the coffee was so strong this morning, the curls in my hair are all straight!

Boon, I'm looking at a March event myself.

April, good luck with the transition.  Just tell him you want to try it for a month for fat loss or something because if you give your real reason, people tend to judge you.  Not that it matters, it's just makes it easier for you.

I work with a bunch of good old boys and the only reason they don't give me more crap than they do is because I have never really said why I am, other than to say it's something my doctor and I are working on.

Still, I couldn't care less what they think anyway.  As I said, it just makes it easier.

Driving to work this morning was like driving on a Sunday morning.  Weird.

What's up Dailies? Just checkin in. My right forearm got a lot of excercise wielding a fork yesterday. Not a ton of running went on this past week, although I managed 10.3 miles on Monday. I think I'll hit the bike tonight.

Heidi, sorry to hear about the knee issues. Get better!  Btw did you quit DM?

Just B.S.

Supp peeps

Yo! Didn't you hear the big news? It's my Boxing Day Birthday!!

So I guess if I'm 51 now I have to officially say that I'm in my 50's?LOL

StepbyStep-SH

Happy birthday, Beth!

Heidi - Hope you can get an appointment.

Me, I'm getting back to my old early morning routine - 9 easy miles this morning, though slow due to the patchy ice that is still on the streets.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

@runjerseygirl

April, any kind of change in my diet usually results in some sort of lecture around dinner time, or after.  If I was to ever try going veg, or even just "clean," I would get all kinds of nasty comments about how I'm falling for a fad, or I have to eat meat to get my protein, or "that's just stupid".  And he is the one who does most of the cooking, so it would be even worse.  As it is, I get snide comments if he doesn't think I'm eating enough.  Or if I go get ice cream for him and the kids but don't get anything for myself, I'm being a snob.

I'd just tell him you want to try some new recipes.  By the time he notices you haven't made any meat in a few days, he might not even care.  But I could be wrong.  Good luck.

Do you even run?

LRB

Yo! Didn't you hear the big news? It's my Boxing Day Birthday!! 

I was working on it sweetie.....

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, LRB and Kay!

LRB, that's a good idea. I did tell him last week that I wanted January to be sort of a "detox" month - no junk, just healthy foods - to try to lose a few pounds before my next HM training cycle begins. I could just play off that. He doesn't even know I watched the documentary (Vegucated, which was actually really interesting. A vegan "adopted" 3 omnivores to go vegan for 6 weeks). It did show some of the behind-the-scenes slaughterhouse stuff, and while I'm not a weepy person, what I saw made me cry. Ugh. I can't even think about it right now.

Kay, I know what you mean. It's nothing new to him that I don't eat a lot of meat to begin with, but a few months ago we made chicken fajitas and I took only the veggies (leaving "my" chicken in the skillet) and added avocado to my fajitas. He noticed and said, "What, are you VEGAN now or something?" I wanted to say something snide, but instead I said "BLARRGGGG, MEAT IS MURDER, BLARRRGGG!" and waved my hands all weird-like. I just... don't know. LOL.

@runjerseygirl

Thanks, LRB and Kay!

LRB, that's a good idea. I did tell him last week that I wanted January to be sort of a "detox" month - no junk, just healthy foods - to try to lose a few pounds before my next HM training cycle begins. I could just play off that. He doesn't even know I watched the documentary (Vegucated, which was actually really interesting. A vegan "adopted" 3 omnivores to go vegan for 6 weeks). It did show some of the behind-the-scenes slaughterhouse stuff, and while I'm not a weepy person, what I saw made me cry. Ugh. I can't even think about it right now.

Kay, I know what you mean. It's nothing new to him that I don't eat a lot of meat to begin with, but a few months ago we made chicken fajitas and I took only the veggies (leaving "my" chicken in the skillet) and added avocado to my fajitas. He noticed and said, "What, are you VEGAN now or something?" I wanted to say something snide, but instead I said "BLARRGGGG, MEAT IS MURDER, BLARRRGGG!" and waved my hands all weird-like. I just... don't know. LOL.

That's hilarious!

I don't even know how I forgot to mention the Christmas Eve fight.  His family is Polish, and we do Wigilia, which is a traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner.  It includes a LOT of fried food, including fish and pirogues.  But it's not enough that it has to be fried, it has to be fried in Crisco.  Fucking disgusting.  So his aunt put a few pieces of fish aside to bake, and I mentioned that I'd eat the baked fish, too.  Well, that sent him over the edge.  It was a knock-down, drag-out fight over his family traditions not being good enough for me, and that he'd rather not eat with me at all.  All over baked vs. Crisco-fried fish.  I didn't even ask him to bake it.  I said I would do it.  Ugh.

Do you even run?

Docket_Rocket

"You already have one religion, I won't allow you another." Mr. Rocket.  My first religion was apparently running.

My husband said that at the beginning.  My husband eats meat and won't change for me.  He would buy me burgers just to make me eat meat and all and would make a face whenever I ordered a vegetarian option anywhere.  After a few months (6 or so) he came to realize that I do this for my stomach.  My asthma and stomach issues feel better when I don't eat meat.  I've always done two meals for us since I never liked what he likes so making the transition and making mine vegetarian wasn't hard (I was semi veg for a year).

The worst part is when we go out.  There are hardly any good options at Chili's and other places and you need to be careful with what you order since mostly everything has some meat additive or chicken stock.

Good morning, people! Winter weather advisory means that I won't be able to wear EITHER of my new outfits (a SkirtSports Tough Girl skirt, or my NEW HOT PINK TIGHTS) today. Wahhh. I have to go to the gym at lunch for 3 miles on the ole 'mill.

Question for you vegetarians in here. I didn't want to make a whole thread about this, because I know LRB and Damaris are veggies and so are a couple others. I've been slowly transitioning to vegetarianism over the past 9 months or so, and I watched a documentary on Christmas Eve that sealed the deal for me. I can't eat meat anymore. I haven't told my husband yet (potluck dinners over the holidays make it easy to not eat meat) because he is a strict meat & potatoes guy, and he acts like vegetarianism is some weird religion or something. Do your spouses eat meat? If so, how do you plan meals, etc? It's weird how, I don't know, offended he gets if I say I don't want to eat meat at dinner, even though it has nothing to do with him personally.

The good news is, I've been eating vegetarian lunches and dinners during the week since I started transitioning, so dinner is the only "trouble" meal for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I haven't watched the documentary, but those things tend to have a high shock value.  You kind of want to keep that out of the conversation no matter who it is you're talking to.  Otherwise you come off as a do gooder or reformer; someone who used to do something (swear, drink, smoke, speed while driving etc...) who doesn't do it anymore but now looks down on those that do.

Everyone has a right to do and be what and whoever they want, and I respect that.

Your reasons really have nothing to do with the topic, and  stating them just creates an uneasiness that no one needs.

When I am out for dinner in a group setting or at a family function, most people would never know that I am.  Similar to religion and politics, I find that it works best that way.

If someone wants to ask me about it (as you did today), I am glad to speak on it.  Otherwise, I rarely bring it up.

Docket_Rocket

Kay, it will get better.  Trust me.  When my husband went from here is a burger and you'll eat it to...look there is a veggie burger option, anybody can change!

Happy Birthday, Beth!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Kay, that's crazy.  Next time just fake it and load your plate up with something you actually want to eat.  Then when no one is looking, dump the other crap!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks for the input, D, and additional input, LRB. I have a friend who is a true judgmental vegan and while I love her as a person, I have to filter out some of her Facebook posts. I decided to go semi-veg in the beginning because I just felt healthier eating more fruits and veggies, and I LOVE my "plant-based" workplace meals. I will definitely keep ethics out of it.

I went to Texas Roadhouse about 6 months ago with a group of female family members, and I ordered the "4 sides" option. My mother-in-law definitely noticed and said "Oh look how healthy she's being!" But this is also the same person who exclaimed "APRIL DOESN'T HAVE ANY CHICKEN!" at a potluck meal around Easter. I had to politely tell her that I didn't want any chicken.

I get to use my new food processor tonight to make black bean burgers (one of my faves - husband gets to eat hamburgers so he doesn't care) but this weekend he wants to smoke a ham in his "baby," also known as the Big Green Egg. It will come down to me either telling him that I'm cutting out meat until the end of January (as far as he knows, anyway) or politely eat a few bites. My decision has been made and it's the former. That's why I wanted to get some advice from you guys today. Smile