Beginners and Beyond

Jet to Jetty 10K RR w/ pics. Culmination of training, blood, sweat & tears.... (Read 82 times)

workinprogress11

Great job. Congratulations on your hard work paying off with a nice PR.

Love the Half

Nice job on the PR.  Quick question.  Have you ever tried racing without the headphones?  There's a decent amount of evidence that you can race better if you use associative techniques rather than dissociative.  Might be worth a shot some time in a small 5K just to see what it's like.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I have run without headphones before but not lately.  I have found that the music picks me up.  I usually make it playlist-specific.  In this case I felt like I was "locked out of heaven" in mile 4 and then "wang chunged" my way thru mile 5.  Self doubt was huge until I got to the 5 mile mark and found I was under 40 minutes.

I'm still basking in the afterglow but I'm already thinking of revising my half PR.  And all I remember telling myself after my last half was, "remind yourself to never run a half again!"  But we're a short sighted folk and can't remember the pain for our own stupidity!

So we'll see how stupid I feel In a couple weeks here when I decide to sign up or not.

Randy

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, great race!  That kind of stress before a race would have just derailed me.  My running partner and I were talking today about going too fast.  So much of it is just not panicking and realizing that you're going to be okay, even if you're breathing really hard.  Your race seems like a perfect example of that.  Your first mile was a little fast, but you were smart and adjusted by the right amount, and just dealt with how your body was feeling without giving up.  Congratulations on your great training, and on the result it led to.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Trail Monster

Congrats! What a tough start but a great ending!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

#artbydmcbride

Congrats on racing on a foggy cool morning in freaking August!!  Smile   Did you stay and watch the mile racers?

Runners run

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I thought they went ahead of us 5k & 10k folks but I could be wrong.  They were tearing down tables pretty fast after us 10kers were done but I did see lots of kids with medals.

And, yes, that weather was amazing.  I'd been monitoring it all week before but when you're right at the beach like that, temps are usually way stable.  I'm just glad they were high 60's stable. Wink

100 degrees today & like 100% humidity!  If I ran that same race today, you could tack on an hour to that time! Dead

Cool

SIAR........Ya, the worst was that the spare had so little air in it, I didn't know if it was even road worthy.  Hindsight makes it look less disastrous but if you asked my wife & kids they'd probably tell you they thought my next move was gonna be something out of Lethal Weapon.

Randy