Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES: Go Out With A Bang (Read 46 times)

B-Plus

6 @ 8:46

Will run for scenery.

Wowzers!

That is quite some job, Kristin !

Hello friends.

No running today.

Some of you were asking last night why I am so sore and what I was doing for work. My soreness has nothing to do with running (in fact I unfortunately have been able to clock about 5 miles combined all week so far), and everything to do with a training I had to go to for work. Which I will explain.... I work at a school for children with Autism ages 5-21. It is a challenging but incredibly rewarding job. I love all of my kiddos to death. We do have some very very very challenging behaviors that we deal with at our school, however. There are children who are more like young adults (18, 19, 20) at our school some of whom are between 150 and 250 pounds, non-verbal, severely autistic, and have additional mental health/psychiatric diagnoses such as schitzophrenia. They do have the propensity to hit, bite, scratch, punch, kick, and throw furniture. As a result, my school requires everyone become certified in something called SCIP which stands for Strategies for Crisis Intervention and Prevention, which teaches us how to help de-escalate behavior verbally and lots of other calming techniques, but when that does not work it teaches us the correct way to defend ourselves, other children, and a child in crisis in situations where the student is exhibiting behavior that is a danger to him/herself and others around us. We had to learn the correct ways to do everything from punch blocking to full wrap-ups and take downs/ restraint of a child who is in a crisis and will not calm down. Therefore, I spent 3 days, 9:00-5:00 having to learn, practice, practice again, and be tested on all kinds of techniques, including how to safely take down to the floor and restrain a person who is larger than me. THAT is why I am sore! lol

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!