Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins (Read 31 times)

From the Internet.

Back and nervous D: Run felt good, but considering my recent history I'm still going to be icing, foam rolling, and crossing fingers until I feel that I'm fine tomorrow. The mental part of recovery is just the worst.

SheCan

Just a run-by posting.  I did a 8-1/2 mile out and back up the hill and back down.  I've been having to fight the wind every day this week, and am hoping it'll eventually come to an end.  *waves @ everyone*  Wish I had more time, but i hope everyone is doing fine.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Damaris - referring to the Prison Head in Colorado who was supposedly killed by the white supremacist and the judge and his wife in Texas who were killed a few days later.  Supposedly a lot of people involved in the Justice system are on edge.

Tomas - It's been spring for a while in Texas, is it cooler than usual today?

Lauren - 7 minutes is great, how soon do you think you'll be at 30 minutes?  Are you following a plan or just winging it?

Tracilynn - I understand feeling overwhelmed by the news.  Sometimes you need to just back away from TV and internet. I like Jimmy's idea of watching Peter Pan with his daughter.  And comebacks aren't easy.  I don't know who told you otherwise.  Sometimes they feel like one step forward and two steps backwards.

Docket_Rocket

Doh, yeah, that.  It was the big news til Boston.  That one was very scary, especially when the DOJ guy quit the investigation.  I've never heard of us backtracking or showing we're scared.  Must've been one hell of a wakeup call.

Damaris - referring to the Prison Head in Colorado who was supposedly killed by the white supremacist and the judge and his wife in Texas who were killed a few days later.  Supposedly a lot of people involved in the Justice system are on edge.

Lauren - 7 minutes is great, how soon do you think you'll be at 30 minutes?  Are you following a plan or just winging it?

Tracilynn - I understand feeling overwhelmed by the news.  Sometimes you need to just back away from TV and internet. I like Jimmy's idea of watching Peter Pan with his daughter.  And comebacks aren't easy.  I don't know who told you otherwise.  Sometimes they feel like one step forward and two steps backwards.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Loosely following a plan, my coach had me start a few weeks ago at 9 minutes walk/1 minute jog x 3 every other day, and I've been gradually increasing the running intervals and decreasing the walking intervals as I feel comfortable doing so (every session at first, now I'm doing 2-3 sessions at each time point). I expect it'll be another 2-3 weeks before I'm back to 30 minutes straight - no reason to rush it at this point, I'm quite tired of starting over from scratch, haha Smile

One Half So Far

Jack Klompus: Yep, I technically live in Springfield, but, Eugene's a fun place to be.

Zel: Foot Traffic Flat looks cool, but it's July 4th, and that's Butte to Butte day.  Seems all Eugene runners are obligated to do that one.  The idea of a 10K whose first mile is ENTIRELY nastily uphill, followed by an almost equally steep downhill scares me, but I didn't do it last year and wish that I had.

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

LOL, guys.  It's my first 50K.  And yes, it's a full SRD.

But, I ran down the stairs to evacuate One of my federal buildings after a scare this morning.  Does that count?

That sounds painful!  How big a roll of toilet paper did you need to evacuate a building?   Wink

Well, I did get in a run at lunch-time.  Stupid weather-person said it would not rain until after 5 pm today.   Wrong!  During my run the wind picked up and we had a passing shower, so I got a bit wet.  Which actually felt pretty good as I ran at 12:30 pm and the temp was 78 degrees, with 85% humidity.    I ended up doing 5K distance, nice and easy, with one short 'stop' on my route....because the other thing that happened on my run... I ran into a bus!   A STOPPED bus.  Blush    The UTSA campus shuttle buses.....as shown below.....

.....drive and stop all over campus at various places, giving campus transportation to students, faculty, staff.   One was stopped at one of the stops.  I was running, looking down at my watch for a moment....looked up....the bus was RIGHT there....WHAM!  Right into the side of it I went, lol.  Knocked myself right on my keister.  Scared the hell outta the poor driver, she came flying off the bus to see what had happened.  She told me later she thought somebody had thrown something at her bus.    There was also a campus police guy in a nearby parking lot - doing speed checks, I guess, campus speed limit is 20 mph - and he came over to make sure I was all right.   Turns out I know the guy, see him around a lot on my campus runs. He helped me up, then he had me do some of those "drunk" tests, lol, I guess to make sure I was not dizzy, disoriented, etc.   I was fine...just gonna have a nice bruise where I impacted the bus.  Chuckling, my police friend said "You made my day..pretty boring till you showed up."  Gee, glad I could help. Joking   I bet every campus cop now - I'm very recognizable with what I wear when I run - will be laughing every time they see me out there.

SIIIIIGH.   Oh well, what can you do?  I just had to laugh at myself, it was just so damn silly...and typical Scottydog.  See, I know what REALLY caused it...that darn passing shower...my shoes got all wet, and so I slipped on wet road and this was the result.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it....  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh Scotty, you are an adventure all on your own!!  Hope you're still feeling ok tomorrow and not too bruised!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

this morning at 5am it was almost 80 and 80% humidity. The air was thisck and nasty. Its mid 80's now and not as humid. Me and my 5 year old have a date with the track in a little while I hope he isnt faster than me. Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Look at the dewpoint not at the %!!!!!

Mine was yesterday was 88F and 73 dewpoint, aka 103F.  Bah.

this morning at 5am it was almost 80 and 80% humidity. The air was thisck and nasty. Its mid 80's now and not as humid. Me and my 5 year old have a date with the track in a little while I hope he isnt faster than me. Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

5 easy miles tonight, don't know what the temp, dew point, humidity was, but it's too friggin hot out.

Ginny, my feet have been aching because I stand on them too much at work while wearing clod hopper big steel toe boots. Usually some reduced miles gets them back to normal.

My app won't show dew point. And the mean streets of Miami ain't as tough as the mean streets of Refugio Smile

Look at the dewpoint not at the %!!!!!

Mine was yesterday was 88F and 73 dewpoint, aka 103F.  Bah.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

hey 'guins!

3 miles today.

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

9.5 miles for me this evening, good run.

Jeff, nice to see you again!

Traci, glad to see you running again, don't worry about the comeback, you'll be back in the swing of things in no time.  I agree with stepping away from the tv/news, sometimes ya just have to unplug for a bit and let your brain process what you already have floating around in there.  My runs yesterday and today have definitely helped with that.

Hope everyone is doing well.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

I looked your weather and it's not even close, ha!

My app won't show dew point. And the mean streets of Miami ain't as tough as the mean streets of Refugio Smile

Damaris

Fundraising Page