Beginners and Beyond

My Elusive Sub 50 10K RR (Read 53 times)

hog4life

Short Version

51:34 for a new PR, 1/3 AG($20 gift card to Fleet Feet), 12/67 OA,

Longer Version

I've only run five 10k races, and have been seeking a sub 50. I really didn't think I would make it here, but wanted to give my best effort. I had tendinitis in my shin back in August, took 2 complete weeks off, logged only 34 miles for the month. As I started getting better, my mileage increased in September to 96, then 133 in October, but I didn't do any speed work.

My plan was to start at an 8:00 mm pace, and just see what happened. It was 38 degrees with a feels like temp of 25, the winds were obviously blowing like crazy. I wore shorts, LS and SS Tec shirts, gloves, skull cap. After a 1.5 mile WU with jacket and pants, I was sweating and ready to go.

I hit the 1 mile mark at 8:09, mile 2 was 8:07, and mile 3 was 8:14 for a total of 24:30. Right here, I pretty much new the sub 50 was out of reach unless I had negative splits for the second half, which I rarely do. But I felt really good for the pace I was running, and wanted to just keep going as strong as I could. The next 3 miles were 8:14, 8:35, 8:23, and then the last 1/4 was at 7:40 pace.

This was by far, my strongest 10k of the 5 that I've done, so I was very pleased with my effort. My legs were really sore later that night, and into the next day, especially after a slugged through a 10 miler with Bella. I also know that I have a lot of work to do to reach the sub 50.

Racing sucks! I think I'm going to start running long and slow......I'm planning on Little Rock Marathon on March 1, then Detroit Marathon in October. I also have already signed up for a stupid stage race. It's called Grand Viduta, it's 43 miles over 3 days, and it's the end of April. North Alabama has something called a Grand Slam, that my goal for next year.

I seen a lady taking a few pictures, once she gets them posted, I'll share them.

Thanks for reading,

Mitch

Cyberic

Racing sucks! I think I'm going to start running long and slow......I'm planning on Little Rock Marathon on March 1, then Detroit Marathon in October. I also have already signed up for a stupid stage race. It's called Grand Viduta, it's 43 miles over 3 days, and it's the end of April. North Alabama has something called a Grand Slam, that my goal for next year.

Are you a masochist? You start by sayin that racing sucks, and then...

Sounds like a great race to me. You slowed down a bit at the end, like most of us. With your August injury, and the low training volume that came because of that, you had a real strong race IMO. Aren't real sore legs a good sign that you gave it all you had?

Docket_Rocket

Great job on the 10K!  You'll get your sub-50 in time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

congrats on the PR! sub-50 to follow for sure.

bluerun

Super B****

Racing doesn't suck... but 10Ks do!  (I'm a little biased against them, in case you can't tell.)  Congrats on the PR and AG -- sub-50:00 will come sooner or later.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good work, hog. With a bit more speed work, the sub 50 is yours for the taking.

onemile

Nice job. I am guessing the last couple miles sucked. (I've never really raced a 10k).

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race and the new PR!  Sorry you didn't get your sub-50, but I have no doubt that will come for you. Maybe you can train Bella to 'speed-pull' you along. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on the PR and AG.  It's hard to do with lower mileage and no speedwork.  Sounds like your race schedule will keep you busy.  There should be a chance to do a couple more 10ks as part of your training.

tracilynn

Congrats on a nice race and new PR to beat. Enjoy that gift card too! Woohoo.  Your race calendar sounds real busy. 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nice race!  That sub 50 will be yours really soon.  You'd hit it easy here.  You know, on a "flat" course

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Thank you for all the comments. I guess a 50k is called a "race", but not sure how fast I'll be running. LOL

LRB

10 k's and intervals run at or near 10 k pace are the bricks that form the foundation of my racing house.  That said they absolutely do suck but nothing worth having comes with ease.

I think you did great, your splits suggest as much.  If you were to race one of these every six weeks or so you may be surprised at the ease at which your other race paces come to you.

My advice?  Shoot for a 48:00 10 k then settle for a 49:50, your true goal.

delicate flower

Nice job on the PR, Hog!  10K's are hard...all the pain of a 5K at twice the distance.

<3