Beginners and Beyond

Wear patterns on shoes....has my gait and shoe needs changed? (Read 88 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So, back when I began running in the summer of 2012 I was a heel striker and overpronator. I went to the LRS and was told I needed stability shoes. I wore Nike Lunar Eclipses. They wore out quickly....I only wore them for 2-3 months and was only running like 10 miles a week. The outer heel was really really worn down and there was also significant wear on the inner big toe areas, consistent with heel striking and overpronation. I got ITBS and one of the first things I did is get new shoes. I was put in the Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s, also a stability shoe, and it was advised I work on shortening my stride and quickening my cadence because I was overstriding. I've had 4 pairs of shoes in rotation- 3 Inspires and 1 Elixir. One of my Ispires, my first pair, has worn out completely. But the wear pattern is a little on the outer heel though not nearly as bad as my old shoes, but also significant wear on the upper outside of the shoe. Looking it up that is consistent with underprpnation, not overpronation. Is it possible for my stride to have changed THAT much?! Could I not need stability shoes anymore? Could stability shoes actually be causing underpronation?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

I cannot speak to those models of shoes, but the Lunarglide and Adrenalines pushed my feet too far upward and outward, while the Kayanos set perfectly level.

So this may be a result of the type of shoe you are wearing, not necessarily a change in your gait.  But there have been cases where there was a change in gait, so you may need someone to take a look at your feet.  Or take the wet paper test (link), which is not an absolute answer, but just a general idea.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So, back when I began running in the summer of 2012 I was a heel striker and overpronator. I went to the LRS and was told I needed stability shoes. I wore Nike Lunar Eclipses. They wore out quickly....I only wore them for 2-3 months and was only running like 10 miles a week. The outer heel was really really worn down and there was also significant wear on the inner big toe areas, consistent with heel striking and overpronation. I got ITBS and one of the first things I did is get new shoes. I was put in the Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s, also a stability shoe, and it was advised I work on shortening my stride and quickening my cadence because I was overstriding. I've had 4 pairs of shoes in rotation- 3 Inspires and 1 Elixir. One of my Ispires, my first pair, has worn out completely. But the wear pattern is a little on the outer heel though not nearly as bad as my old shoes, but also significant wear on the upper outside of the shoe. Looking it up that is consistent with underprpnation, not overpronation. Is it possible for my stride to have changed THAT much?! Could I not need stability shoes anymore? Could stability shoes actually be causing underpronation?

Good advice from Rick.

While you're at it.....if you end up trying a neutral shoe, look for a closeout Nike Air Pegasus.  They're comfy for really anyone, and the waffle pattern bottom will be a dead-giveaway for wear pattern.  Probably the easiest sole to "read" I can think of.

From there, if you find a neutral shoe suited you better, you've got a bazillion options, for sure!

I could never do control/support shoes.  I always felt like I was running on the outside edges of my feet. (ugh).  Neutral shoes are my setup for sure.

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks....does it sound like I need a more neutral shoe?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, I just suggest neutral because I'd be surprised if you went from overpronator to under pronator, however, anything's possible.  (Especially that as speed increases w/ longer running career, you could change a bit).  That said......I think a smaller step would be better, thus neutral.  (Some of which compensate for underpronation....aka supination)

But at the same time, I think, just as the name implies, it gives a great blank slate from which to read.....(especially the Pegasus' waffle pattern soles)).  You'll probably be comfortable in a neutral shoe right off the bat so it won't be something your feet/legs would be offended in right away and then you can get a good read on the sole after time & see where you're really at.

I'm not a doctor, but i did just have a beer and am about to follow it with another so there's that. 

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The beer adds to expertise in any attachments and all subjects Smile

LRB

Thanks....does it sound like I need a more neutral shoe?

Your IT band will let you know and right soon if you are not supposed to be in a neutral shoe.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Your IT band will let you know and right soon if you are not supposed to be in a neutral shoe.

After the 2013 we had together, my IT band and I are no longer on speaking terms. She will say NOTHING if she knows what's good for her 

MothAudio

Could stability shoes actually be causing underpronation?

I'm flat footed and overpronate. I also was a heavy heel-striker and the wear pattern of my traiing shoes confirmed this. 20 years ago I changed to a mid-foot strike and 5 years later was fitted for custom orthotics. ATST I switched to M/C shoe and the wear pattern on my shoes changed. And while I've fortunately been able to ditch the M/C shoes and now wear a neutral, lightweight trainer the corrective orthotics show a wear pattern consistent with that of a supinator. As you can see the inner heel area has almost zero wear, instead the majority of the wear is in the front half of my shoe. The outside edge is crushed, there's a bald patch on my mid-foot and a flat spot at toe off - very inconsistent for an overpronator.

I don't recall if I noticed a distinct change in my wear pattern when I switched to M/C shoes but I'm of the opinion that orthotics can most definitely alter the way your foot makes contact and the wear pattern on your shoes. Here's a photo of a new pair of my shoes on the left and a well-worn pair on the right. If you look closely you'll see the inner most edge, where you'd find wear from an overpronator, is untouched wheras the outer edge is worn smooth. I also included a photo of me [yellow shorts] / my landing postion that would appear to document this.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Hip Redux

Here's how I understand it - when running and landing on your forefoot, you do not land "even" across all your toes/midfoot.  You land first with your outermost of the foot, and then the rest of the foot follows, with your big toe hitting last- it's not a very dramatic unevenness but enough.  So, to me, a wear pattern towards the outside of your foot does not necessarily mean you are "underpronating".

Here's one video link.  (you can watch the rest of it if you'd like, I just linked to the 10-15 sec spot that shows how a forefoot runner lands).

I used to be a heavy heel striker in stability control shoes.  When I moved to a more mid/forefoot strike, my shoe needs changed.  I am flat footed, but I do not lose the arch in the same way when I run with a forefoot landing vs. when I walk.  I still wear my orthotics when I walk - as my foot rolls forward, my arch collapses (much in the same way it did when heel striking).   I don't seem to have the same problem running though - I am fine without the orthotics and correction.  (Several folks at Marathon Sports were the ones who pointed this out to me when I was in for a refit/selecting new shoes.)

From the Internet.

Here's how I understand it - when running and landing on your forefoot, you do not land "even" across all your toes/midfoot.  You land first with your outermost of the foot, and then the rest of the foot follows, with your big toe hitting last- it's not a very dramatic unevenness but enough.  So, to me, a wear pattern towards the outside of your foot does not necessarily mean you are "underpronating".

Bingo. Wear pattern doesn't necessarily mean much on its own - video analysis would be a much more useful way to gauge whether you should be in a more neutral shoe. FWIW I have a pair of Inspires and can.not. run in them - my right leg lets me know immediately that it's too much stability. I wear a very mild stability shoe for most runs and can get away with neutral for short runs.

RabbitChaser

I've been running since 2008 and this is the first year that I haven't had any ITB issues. The change, my shoes. I've had a lot of ITB/hip issues since I started running. I was originally placed in stability shoes and they seemed to do Ok. Then last year I read somewhere that if you're overcorrecting what doesn't need correcting, it could lead to ITB/hip issues. I decided to go in for a new gait analysis at my LRS and was informed that I should be in neutral shoes. I decided to go to another LRS for trail shoes and had it confirmed.  Since I've been in neutral shoes, I haven't had any hip/ITB issues.

Because of my experience, I recommend getting another gait analysis to see if your shoe type has changed.

Eric