Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins From A to Z (Read 177 times)

hog4life

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

hog4life

Last night shift in the books, I'll be looking for my LR when I get up this afternoon, and DW wants to get in some Christmas shopping too.

Dad on the run.

Good Morning Mitch! I'm still not better, this dang head cold is killing me, I want to RUN! Sitting here at work, they say we are only running 5.5 hours today but we will see how that turns out.

Hoping to be better soon so I can get back out there and pick my training back up for Feb.

I bought Paleo diet for athletes and read some of it lastnight, so far its really interesting and I'm excited to start it come Jan. Wife and I are going to give it a 30 day trial and see if its amazing as they say. I really hope that it is because I would love to cut out all that terrible food and never want to look back...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Morning Jimmy and Mitch. Jimmy, sorry abt the cold. I am also feeling a little unwell and can't run. Mitch, hurray for 3rd shift ending soon. Set alarm to wake me up at 7am to do 10M LR but still feeling a little unwell, with sore thoart. Hope will be well enough to do that 10M tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins.  Morning, Mitch, jblack, and binrunning.

6 miles coming up in a few minutes.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Mitch and Penguins.  Good luck to the weekend Racers.

Raining here, but dw and I should be able to get out in a few hours and enjoy another warm December day.

Jerry

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I have a 5k race today with DW and both DDs.

Bin and JBJ: I hope you get well. I would have no motivation to run 10 if I was sick.

Hog: Have fun shopping. We are just about done!

Docket: Enjoy the six. Nice avatar!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Best of luck to our racers!

3.15 miles offered up in tribute to the streak this morning.  I'm volunteering at the Seashore 50k today, and didn't drag my butt out of bed early enough for my full run, but had to keep the streak alive. 

Hope everyone has a good day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins! 

This is my workout for today:

• Plank (high or low—your choice): 5 minutes
                    • Dips:  125
                    • Push Up Negatives (hands shoulder-width apart, slowly count to 5 while lowering your chest to the floor, then raise back up):  125
                    • Kick Backs (begin on all fours, kick heel back to the sky until thigh is parallel with the ground, hold for 3 seconds, then lower): 125 per leg
                    • Lunges Stationary:  125 per leg
                    • Jumping Jacks:  375
                    • Mountain Climbers (keep head aligned with back and looking forward; every other knee to chest equals one repetition):  125
                    • Run 3 easy miles.

Scotty, no I am not training to become a PJ. I am finally off my profile and my knee is feeling great so I decided I needed to get back into shape again (into the shape I was before). So I challenge a few friends to do different things each day. They tell me all the time they think I am murdering them, but in the end we all feel good and that is what matters!

Well, I am off to start exercising. I hope all the racers do well this weekend! I'll catch you taters later!

Docket_Rocket

6 miles done but after reading what Rach did, I feel like a slacker.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Morning Pengs!

Didn't get my double in yesterday which was a bummer but at least I got a short run in in the morning.  Going for 8 today, my first run outside in two weeks! 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!!!

Good luck to the racers!!!

I'm off to head into Manhattan to pick up my race packet for tomorrow! It's at a running store, which may be very VERY dangerous for me and I may return with a lot more than the race packet hahaha. Then if I can make it in time (the subway can be finnickey, especially getting in between Brooklyn and Manhattan on weekends) I am going to yoga class. I feel like yoga is the perfect day before race physical activity. Get all my muscles nice and loose, plus it is very relaxing and centering for me. I have done absolutely no physical activity since Sunday because I turned into a zombie this week, so I'm anxious just to move my body. I kinda want to go for a run today but I am going to just keep it to yoga because I know I need a rest day before a race.

I will check in later for personals, and to see how the races went!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Good morning friends,

Mitch- yippee for not more night shift. have fun on the run and the shopping. I could use some size 14 brooks beasts, some new running socks, and some arm sleeves that look like I am all tatted up. Smile

Jimmy- get better soon buddy.

Bin- sore throats are never fun. Hopefully it gets better before that 10 mile run.

Damaris- sweet new avatar - i hope your weather was ok on your run.

Jerry- enjoy the run later. warm weather can be a blessing.

Jack- good luck in the race later- are you running it with your family or are you racing it?

Super Dave- way to keep the streak going- helping at a race is a great way to give back to the sport. I know the runners will appreciate it.

Rach- why must you make us look so bad Smile  keep up the good work. it looks like you never have a boring work out.

Liz- you will do great on that 8.

AFM- I am working saturday school this morning. It isnt great money, but it is something and it helps the kids to get caught up on class work. I made a deal with the kids, that if all of them are on time and show up then I would bring donuts for them. I didnt think that there was anychance that they would do it. These kids actually made it. all 16 of them.

I ran 12 miles this am before saturday school started. I knew I had to push my pace some in order to get my run in and a shower before meeting the kids at school. I was all over the place on my paces, but I averaged just under 11:30 per mile. When I did my HM 6 weeks ago I was over 12:15 per mile. So I was pretty pumped about this.

Make today a great day friends,

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

tomas - you have made amazing strides since your HM!!  Can't wait to see your next one!

tomas - you have made amazing strides since your HM!!  Can't wait to see your next one!

Thanks-  I am running a full marathon in a month (Houston Marathon). 2 weeks after that I will either do a HM for another full, Its a free race and you dont have to sign up for it until the day of the race. Other than those, the only other race I have planned is a 5k color run with DW and some co workers.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas