Beginners and Beyond

August goals. (Read 60 times)

No more marathons

Well there you go!  I am not telling you nothing you do not know but for those who are wondering just work your way up the pace ladder.

Start with a marathon pace mile or two or a few during an easy run (which will either feel really good or like death lol) then some tempo pace stuff during another run.

Sprinkle in some light strides here and there and you will be ready for the real shit (VO2 max) where you can expect your **** to fall off.  lol

It will feel awesome though!

See, this is what I have problems with.  Is it the marathon pace I could run (if I trained and wasn't lazy) or the marathon pace I intended to run, (when I intended to run a marathon).  The first would be uncomfortable, the second is pretty much everyday pace.  It's problems like that that made me decide to give up marathons.    (I discourage easily).

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

onemile

See, this is what I have problems with.  Is it the marathon pace I could run (if I trained and wasn't lazy) or the marathon pace I intended to run, (when I intended to run a marathon).  The first would be uncomfortable, the second is pretty much everyday pace.  It's problems like that that made me decide to give up marathons.    (I discourage easily).

I use the pace given to me by McMillan based on my best shorter race.

No more marathons

I use the pace given to me by McMillan based on my best shorter race.

Ugh.  That would not be fun.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

Actually, I did do one MP mile a few nights ago because I was running toward the faster end of easy and wanted to see how it felt. Death, for sure.  

lol

That is how it went for me and it played all kinds of mind games with my head like why in the hell is MP that hard?! 

LRB

See, this is what I have problems with.  Is it the marathon pace I could run (if I trained and wasn't lazy) or the marathon pace I intended to run, (when I intended to run a marathon).  

It is funny how marathon pace changes within a run when coming off the bench when you realize you are having trouble sustaining your intended MP.  lol

I use the Daniels VDOT chart for MP which actually has an adjustment factor when returning from injury.

onemile

It is funny how marathon pace changes within a run when coming off the bench when you realize you are having trouble sustaining your intended MP.  lol

I use the Daniels VDOT chart for MP which actually has an adjustment factor when returning from injury.

Is that in the book?

LRB

Is that in the book?

Yes, both editions.  Lemmie see if I can find it right quick...

LRB

Yes, both editions.  Lemmie see if I can find it right quick...

Page 85 in the 2nd edition.  Page 267 in the 3rd.

onemile

Page 85 in the 2nd edition.  Page 267 in the 3rd.

So for 28 days off, it down grades my MP from 7:29 to 7:57.  Damn.

LRB

So for 28 days off, it down grades my MP from 7:29 to 7:57.  Damn.

Yeah I was off 6 weeks once and I think I cried when I saw my adjusted paces. lol

The thing about it though is it only takes a short time of training at the adjusted paces to get back to where you were.  That of course is of little comfort at this time but it is true, you will get back to where you were and it should not take long.

Notice that if you were active on the bike or ellipticalling (I made up that word) you do not lose as much fitness and regain it much faster so there is that.

Zelanie

Z, if you have only missed one run through 9 weeks, you are winning! 

I wish!  I tried to word it so that it would say "miss only one run in weeks 10-13", which start tomorrow. 

So far, I've missed one for my flight here, substituted monster walks (3 hr. 30 min or more) for easy days 3 times, and missed a 4-miler the day before my HM.  That's what I really don't want to miss any more other than the day of my flight home, which I won't be able to avoid since I will be supervising kiddos in the morning (and the entire day before) so don't have the option to get up super early to run even if I wanted to.

LRB

I wish!  I tried to word it so that it would say "miss only one run in weeks 10-13", which start tomorrow. 

You are right, I completely read that wrong. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I low balled myself last month, so this month let's say 50 miles.  I hope this month I will be doing some real runs without walking.  At the end of August I will be 6 months post-op.

Goal fail.  I finished with 41.  I had to take a week off due to a flare up.  Recovery blows.    Like I said in a previous thread, I have no idea how some of you are able to build back up so quickly.  I guess 2.5 years of injury takes its toll.

Running is dumb.

onemile

Goal fail.  I finished with 41.  I had to take a week off due to a flare up.  Recovery blows.    Like I said in a previous thread, I have no idea how some of you are able to build back up so quickly.  I guess 2.5 years of injury takes its toll.

Damn. That sucks, especially since you were being pretty conservative. 

bluerun

Super B****

Marathon.  Healthy.

50% successful, I suppose.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog