Beginners and Beyond

Fools Five Road Race - RR (Read 63 times)

StepbyStep-SH

April 7, 2013 — Fools Five Road Race 8k, Lewiston, Minn.

38:02 gun time

I went into this race knowing that I was not 100% and that it would not be a PR. My primary goal was to get a slight confidence boost that I haven’t lost too much speed and to see where I might be in terms of a goal for the Fargo Marathon in 6 weeks. For the last few weeks I’ve struggled with a recurring injury to my right ankle, and the last two days I’ve also had some soreness and tightness in my left hamstring.

The ankle felt fine during warm-up, and while the hamstring was sore then, once the race started I had no problems with it (those would come the next day, apparently).

My 8k/5-mile PR is from this same event last year when I ran a 37:21 gun time. This year, I just wanted to be solidly under an 8:00 pace.

I was well ahead of that for the first half-mile, as the race has a downhill start, and fell into a fairly comfortable pace of 7:33 for the first mile. Mile 2 was 7:36, and Mile 3, 7:32, all feeling like I was working, but still comfortable. As Mile 4 started, however, I could feel that I have not done as much continuous tempo work as usual this winter, and my pace faded to 7:40 for that mile. I started picking the pace back up a bit as I moved into Mile 5, wanting to finish strong, but I didn’t plan to push it to the limit as there was no one within striking distance ahead of me. Then, with a couple hundred yards yet to go (all uphill, by the way), I could hear a couple people coming up behind me. By the breathing I knew one was a man, but glanced over my shoulder to see the second was a woman who was probably in my age group (she was). Time to tap into my finishing speed. I picked up the pace by about 30 secs/mile, I think, and stayed ahead of her all the way across the finish line, finishing 4th in my AG.

Overall, I am encouraged that I was able to run this faster than I had expected, but I’m not sure it points to a potential BQ. At least not this spring.

And as I know I’ve mentioned before about this event, even a terrible day running it is worthwhile. Hosted in a town of about a thousand people, the 8k and 1 mile had a total of more than 3,000 runners and walkers who raised more than $83,000 for local cancer research and support. And I got to hear from two-time cancer survivor Gabriele Anderson, who after her first battle with cancer set a University of Minnesota school record in the 1500m, and after her second battle qualified for the 1500m finals at the US Olympic Trials, finishing in 4th, just one second short of being on the team for London.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, overall.  And for a good cause.  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Shit that's not bad at all for all the crap you have been through!

And I don't know that I would call 8 seconds a fade, that could have simply been a lack of focus.

Still, I think you did well for where you are.  Now take care of that busted hoof and go rock Fargo!

Hip Redux

Wow, not far from your PR!  That's impressive.  Nice work!

Luke79

Great race.  I like the part where you looked back to see a woman in your AG and were like "oh, hell to the naw", and kicked it up a notch.

StepbyStep-SH

Great race.  I like the part where you looked back to see a woman in your AG and were like "oh, hell to the naw", and kicked it up a notch.

I think my actual words were "Do NOT make me do this."

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Luke79

I think my actual words were "Do NOT make me do this."

LOL...I know the feeling

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Looks like a very strong race to me!  Your pace didn't really fade too badly, and the fact that you were able to increase your speed at the end is a positive sign.  Just from seeing your training on the dailies, it seems like you've gotten in plenty of medium-long or longer runs.  Maybe your endurance will be ahead of your speed and you'll still have a shot at that BQ.  I hope your ankle and hamstring behave for you.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Rondog65

Great job!!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

workinprogress11

Great job.  Congratulations and good luck on your BQ pursuit!

happylily

That is an excellent pace, Shari! You know, I could run 3:40 before I could run that pace over 5 miles. So you definitely have the speed in you to BQ. With some work on the endurance, that BQ is yours. Congratulations on such an encouraging result! And it sounds like it's a great event, it's good that you get to do it every year.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

Shari, congrats on beating last year's course time. That must be a huge event for such a small town! Good cause too.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Congratulations, Shari! You ran a great race despite the ankle and hamstring issues. I hope those heal up for you fast.

SheCan

What a great tempo run/race for your marathon training!  Congratulations for such a good time, and for holding on to your place all the way to the end.  You're really fast to me.   So wonderful that they raised so much money for cancer research.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang..you were not 100 percent but still did 7-something minute miles? I'm not worthy photo thenotworthy.gif

Congrats on your race!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt