Beginners and Beyond

Fuel without water (Read 113 times)

DCDan78

Does anyone have suggestions for a bit of fuel to use without water?  On my training runs so far (currently up to 9 miles with a previous high of 12) I have not been using any water or fuel.  I still would prefer not to carry water, but was honking that a bit of fuel my improve my performance in an upcoming 10-mile race as well as a HM a month later. All the gels etc that I see though say they should be taken with water as well.

Any suggestions, either specific running fuels or something as simple as jelly beans?

Generally the reason for water with food is for digestion.

You may find that hydration is more important than fuel, esp. when you consider our fat stores, in races up to about 3-4 hrs.

In a 3ish-hr race yesterday, I used sports drink (about 25 oz, warm for this time of year) and a handful of M&Ms but could have used trail mix just as easily. Or cut up clif bar or shot bloks.  (I had food with me for 4+hr since I didn't know what the snow conditions were like. Turned out to be good snow and a much faster race.)

The thing that will improve your performance the most in races up to about HM (3+hr hilly or soft snow) is training. Running more and a healthy diet will probably improve your performance more than any food consumed during a race.

That said, marshmallow chicks and bunnies may work well with water. Wink  As might chocolate easter bunnies, although they might be a little too much for that duration race.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      Docket_Rocket

I've had to take gels several times with water coming in 1-2 miles without issue, but it's something you need to try to see how you stomach handles it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

There is no need to lug along anything.  I went 20 miles last night on just water, didn't die, and my splits were very even throughout.  In races, I just grab the Gatorade in the cups.  Go to a HM some time and look around.  I think you will find a negative correlation between where people line up and how much stuff they think they have to carry.  Or, to put it another way, you won't find any Camelbacks or even fuel belts in Corral "A" and that's mostly true even in marathons.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

aplodder

Susan

I like the squeeze packs of applesauce for winter long runs.  My blood sugar seems to get low, and one of those picks me up. They are in the regular applesauce aisle at the store.

LRB

Do you need them or do you want them, that is the question.

Jelly beans, starbursts, gum, hard candy etc, usually these things are simply a mental blanket.  Meaning when you have them, you don't use them, but when you don't have them, you want them.

There is no one right thing for everyone.  We all use something different, if we use anything at all.

To answer your question, there isn't enough time to completely deplete your carb stores in a 10 mile or 13.1 mile race if they were at the proper levels to begin with, and you race according to your ability.  If it takes 45 minutes for a gel to enter your system, you would be taking it basically at the start line, but that is why we eat a good meal the night before.

In any case, you should be able to race at a high level for either distance with just the gatorade and/or water the course provides, which many of us take neither during those two particular events.

But as we always say, do whatever works for you.

, but was honking that a bit of fuel my improve my performance

Any suggestions, either specific running fuels or something as simple as jelly beans?

Right, at middle distances you shouldn't have to worry about depleting your glycogen stores during the race.  You might take along some chocolate-covered espresso beans though, the caffeine can help improve performance.

Nevrgivup

Couldn't have said it any better than this or LTH. Good luck finding what works for you.

Do you need them or do you want them, that is the question.

Jelly beans, starbursts, gum, hard candy etc, usually these things are simply a mental blanket.  Meaning when you have them, you don't use them, but when you don't have them, you want them.

There is no one right thing for everyone.  We all use something different, if we use anything at all.

To answer your question, there isn't enough time to completely deplete your carb stores in a 10 mile or 13.1 mile race if they were at the proper levels to begin with, and you race according to your ability.  If it takes 45 minutes for a gel to enter your system, you would be taking it basically at the start line, but that is why we eat a good meal the night before.

In any case, you should be able to race at a high level for either distance with just the gatorade and/or water the course provides, which many of us take neither during those two particular events.

But as we always say, do whatever works for you.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

DCDan78

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  To answer LRB's question:  I don't feel like I actually need it.  I've done a 12 miler without any food or water and I tihnk if I make sure to eat a good meal the night before and the right pre-run meal then I can make it to the end.  What I didn't know was whether there'd be some potential added benefit of adding something in mid-way through the run.

As for water/gatorade, I had taken some on some of my early races and runs, but now train without it and feel better about just keeping my pace steady without having to slow down to take or drink anything.  That, of course, may change for any summer races.

LRB

Right, at middle distances you shouldn't have to worry about depleting your glycogen stores during the race.  You might take along some chocolate-covered espresso beans though, the caffeine can help improve performance.

I seriously don't need anymore habits, but damn that intrigues the hell outta me!

LRB

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  To answer LRB's question:  I don't feel like I actually need it.  I've done a 12 miler without any food or water and I tihnk if I make sure to eat a good meal the night before and the right pre-run meal then I can make it to the end.  What I didn't know was whether there'd be some potential added benefit of adding something in mid-way through the run.

As for water/gatorade, I had taken some on some of my early races and runs, but now train without it and feel better about just keeping my pace steady without having to slow down to take or drink anything.  That, of course, may change for any summer races.

It never hurts to experiment, that's how a lot of us know what works and what doesn't.  And yes, the variables change when heat and humidity are added to the equation.

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

I always take my hydration pack with me.  It's not because I feel like I need it, it's because I've learned through trial and error that I need to stay consistently hydrated whilst running.  That may have something to do with my frame (6'3" 200).  As far as fuel goes, I fuel during races, however during training I don't fuel if the run is 15 miles or less.  As with anything when it comes to running, listen to your body.  If you still find yourself curious, tinker around a bit and see how your body responds.

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???