Beginners and Beyond

Ice Baths: Good, Bad or Indifferent? (Read 77 times)

I've taken a couple 5+ years ago. I find I recover faster by moving my legs rather than by sitting in a tub of cold water with legs stationery. At the end of  my shower I run cold water over my legs and feet, and that seems to help - without threatening hypothermia like an ice bath did (actually, just tap water, which is plenty cold here). I also think soaking feet in a cold creek can help when they just got pounded for 50 miles.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    Love the Half

I tried it one time and it was utterly miserable.  Never again and I don't care if it does help.  I'm too damn old to be miserable.  I'll stick with my hot shower thank you very much.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Just B.S.

I live in the North Atlantic and our water is cold as hell all year round. I was training for and

racing tri's this summer at the same time as training for a marathon. So after long runs and

races this summer I went swimming for a mile or so. Combined therapy with training.

It felt fabulous and once you get over the initial shock it's extremely relaxing and my legs felt

revived and ready to go again almost immediately afterward.

Otherwise I will take the hose at home and douse my legs with cold well water. Felt equally

as good.

Of course now that it's September "cold as hell" in the water feel just like that when you

get out so sadly no more open water swimming this year.Sad

Hip Redux

Some of the responses here have me LOLing.

My answer is NO.  I have had to ice my groin 3x/week for the last 6 weeks and there is no way in hell my toosh is sitting in ice water.  It could turn me into Kara Goucher - not gonna do it.

I tried it once, after my first marathon, because I was so excruciatingly sore I was desperate to try anything. And I could not just ice where it was sore, because EVERYTHING was sore. It seemed to help a bit, hard to tell for sure. But I was mainly surprised it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I cannot jump into a chilly pool or lake without completely losing my breath. But the key (for those who do not already know this) is to not plunge into the tub of icewater, but do the gradual thing. Bring a bucket of ice. Sit in the empty tub & then turn on the cold water. After the tub is full, dump the ice in. It is the old frog-in-boiling-water trick, but in reverse.

Dave

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I have, and I did find it beneficial.  Of course, I also made sure I was sipping a hot beverage at the time.  However, the ones I've taken were during the warmer months...I don't think I would have the nerve to do so post-run during the winter time.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Done them several times, seem to help after brutal workouts.

The make me shrink up like a Ken doll, clench like I have poo cramps and make my core cold for hours.  I do not like them, Sam I am... but sometimes you just gotta try it try it and you'll see.